• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime's Promo Video Teases Z-Moves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Sun and Moon is gonna be a shitshow. Satoshi's new design is UGLY AS SIN, and even though he's gonna be going to school, he still won't be able to learn how to be less of a shitty trainer! He doesn't know about type matchups (still gets confused when his Pikachu can't put a dent in Ground types), gets curbstomped by a new trainer's STARTER in multiple regions, and loses the Kalos League to a sidestory character, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A TYPE ADVANTAGE. Now he'll NEVER win the Pokémon League.

The only time he doesn't know about a type match-up is when he doesn't know his opponent's type. He was not curb-stomped in Kalos. Alan has been a major character since the beginning of XY, even being the main character of the relevant TV specials and has never lost a single match, making his win at least consistent and fitting.

Really, the complaints about the upcoming Sun&Moon remind me of when XY was about to start and the part of the internet I was on was convinced that it was going to suck. Even after the first two episodes aired, and they were impressed, people were like, "They spent all their budget on the first two episodes. The quality is going to diminish after less than a dozen episodes." And then it didn't. But by that time, anyone who already decided they hated it had stopped watching it. It took random videos of things like Lucario beating up Pikachu and Satoshi vs Citron or Satoshi's 7th gym match to finally convince non-viewers that maybe, just maybe, they misjudged the new season. At least, this was the trend I've been actively fighting for the past few years as a part of the Pokemon community. It won't represent everyone's experience (which I'd love to read), but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one.

I'm still skeptical. I don't assume Sun&Moon will be all that up my alley compared to the adventurous previous seasons. But I'm open. And there is objective talent in these pvs, even if you don't personally like the style they chose to persue. You cannot convince me, someone who has spent most of my life as an artist exploring the technical aspects of Japanese animation, that what we've seen of Sun&Moon is either "lazy" or "cheap". It's not, by any means, either of those two.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Team Rocket's comedy stopped being funny a long time ago with basically recycling the same jokes over and over. Them trying to catch Pikachu or whatever rare Pokemon that's nearby to steal can only go so far until it just gets boring. Sure their stupidity was funny for awhile, but it just feels like repeating their mistakes for this long they should look for something else to do.

When I was watching the Diancie movie I actually fast forwarded over their scenes. They're the definition of one-trick-pony that got old 800 episodes ago.

But that's the problem I have with shows that go on for sooooo many episodes. I'm a big fan of Detective Conan, but it's really starting to get repetitive. How many murders are they going to do that involve fishing wire? Pokemon has been having the same effect to me. The jokes are the same, and the serious moments are the same. Each Pokemon Movie is the same. Some evil guy wants to harvest a legendaries power, ends up going wrong, someone dies, but they're actually not dead. We all cried when Ash turned to stone in the first movie, but when in the Diancie movie spoiler[Pikachu turned to stone, there were no feels. Especially seeing team rocket and 80 percent of the cast turned to stone too.] The only thing that can be the saving factor to Pokemon is It's demographics is towards children. I doubt it's going to have a refined plot.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Sun and Moon is gonna be a shitshow. Satoshi's new design is UGLY AS SIN, and even though he's gonna be going to school, he still won't be able to learn how to be less of a shitty trainer! He doesn't know about type matchups (still gets confused when his Pikachu can't put a dent in Ground types), gets curbstomped by a new trainer's STARTER in multiple regions, and loses the Kalos League to a sidestory character, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A TYPE ADVANTAGE. Now he'll NEVER win the Pokémon League.

The only time he doesn't know about a type match-up is when he doesn't know his opponent's type. He was not curb-stomped in Kalos. Alan has been a major character since the beginning of XY, even being the main character of the relevant TV specials and has never lost a single match, making his win at least consistent and fitting.

Really, the complaints about the upcoming Sun&Moon remind me of when XY was about to start and the part of the internet I was on was convinced that it was going to suck. Even after the first two episodes aired, and they were impressed, people were like, "They spent all their budget on the first two episodes. The quality is going to diminish after less than a dozen episodes." And then it didn't. But by that time, anyone who already decided they hated it had stopped watching it. It took random videos of things like Lucario beating up Pikachu and Satoshi vs Citron or Satoshi's 7th gym match to finally convince non-viewers that maybe, just maybe, they misjudged the new season. At least, this was the trend I've been actively fighting for the past few years as a part of the Pokemon community. It won't represent everyone's experience (which I'd love to read), but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one.

I'm still skeptical. I don't assume Sun&Moon will be all that up my alley compared to the adventurous previous seasons. But I'm open. And there is objective talent in these pvs, even if you don't personally like the style they chose to persue. You cannot convince me, someone who has spent most of my life as an artist exploring the technical aspects of Japanese animation, that what we've seen of Sun&Moon is either "lazy" or "cheap". It's not, by any means, either of those two.
i agree. i for one going to give this new anime fair chance of 1 or 2 episode before decide if i will continue watch it
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Yes, but will Ash and Pikachu learn Catastropika?

Why wouldn't they? Catastropika was practically meant for this.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
Team Rocket's comedy stopped being funny a long time ago with basically recycling the same jokes over and over. Them trying to catch Pikachu or whatever rare Pokemon that's nearby to steal can only go so far until it just gets boring. Sure their stupidity was funny for awhile, but it just feels like repeating their mistakes for this long they should look for something else to do.

I think by this point, their trying to steal the Pokémon of the Week has become a fixture of the series, and the show would be incomplete without it. Their incompetent thievery has similar status as Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown or the first skit ending with someone saying, "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"

Kurohei wrote:
The only thing that can be the saving factor to Pokemon is It's demographics is towards children. I doubt it's going to have a refined plot.

The Pokémon anime runs on the "fleeting demographic," meaning as kids outgrow the show and move on to other things, younger kids come in to replace them. SpongeBob SquarePants and Sesame Street work in the same way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2