• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Spice & Wolf Short Story Collection, Sequel Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadiantS0l

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Well color me excited. Still trying to get my hands on that Anniversary Edition, but I'm totally on board for more Spice & Wolf, even if my only experience with it is the anime.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf already takes up so much of my bookshelf. Yen Press, why are you doing this to me? (but no, I won't be trading them in for the ebooks).

Anyway, I'm excited for this! A new short story collection, and getting the sequel novels so soon after Japan too!
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
:/ I agree that there is more scope for more stories, however at this point I can only see it as a slow decline. He was struggling to write decent S&W stories as it was...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
I already own most of the volumes from Yen Press, so it's a good news, that they did not stop after 17 original ones and publish the new volumes also.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I have only one thing to say: YAY!
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
:/ I agree that there is more scope for more stories, however at this point I can only see it as a slow decline. He was struggling to write decent S&W stories as it was...
Effectively rebooting the series with Myuri gives far more room to tell tales, though. There's quite a bit of the world mentioned in passing but never explored.
RadiantS0l wrote:
Well color me excited. Still trying to get my hands on that Anniversary Edition, but I'm totally on board for more Spice & Wolf, even if my only experience with it is the anime.
The novels are great well past the anime(though the last one should have been arranged differently, in my opinion). As for the numbered edition, I wouldn't count on it unless somebody bought it specifically to resell it(and even then, they're going to hold on a bit before pulling the trigger, if only to find the magic number when copies because extra valuable). I'd normally say that this version would drive the price down, but it looks like it'll have a limited run as well, so the impact will be minor thanks to shipping costs.

Basically, try to grab this one if you want the book, unless you want to pay out the ass for a number(though speaking of numbers, will copy 2000 have an enhanced value for being the last one? Of course, we all know number 1 will sell for $1000+ in crap shape if anybody still cares ten years down the road).
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The novels are great well past the anime(though the last one should have been arranged differently, in my opinion).

Yeah that bothered me to no end in volume 17. Why would they put the epilogue and that beautiful illustration in the first half of the book? I read that and was like "what an amazing and satisfying ending", but then remembered I had like 100 more pages of filler to read.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
the sequel novels so soon after Japan too!

I guess that in the age of simulcasts, it only makes sense to get LN/manga released as soon as you can!
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
So more manga to collect! I would hope spice and wolf at some point would see another anime!
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I will be looking foward to these! Very Happy
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
It is a tragedy that they did not continue animating this series, I really enjoyed both seasons. But it seems like the light novels are doing well enough to justify translating the franchise...that's good news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1