• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Music Producer Porter Robinson Debuts 'Shelter' Anime Music Video by A-1 Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked it the video reminded me of Garakowa: Restore the World
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
This was so randomly awesome to find as one of CR's anime updates because I've been listening to this song for some time now lol.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
A very nice surprise. It is anime enough for me. Hoping, maybe, it might get picked up. Though the odds against that are pretty high.

From a practical standpoint, Rin should be in a spoiler[cryo capsule or something similiar]. As it stands now, they are making spoiler[life support] work extra hard. A spoiler[life support capsule] would help against spoiler[depressurization] and other spoiler[catastrophic ship casualities].

Seems the sole purpose of the simulation and the spoiler[ship] is to give Rin some extra time of spoiler[life]. A gift from her spoiler[now dead father]. That is just my guess.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
Liked it a lot! Nice work from Megumi Kouno. Among her best in my opinion, and the first thing she's done where I actually watched the material rather than just 'sakuga' clips of hers (I did this both because it's short obviously but also the story is something that interests me; her stuff is magnificent but often she works on shows that are too cutesy or otaku-focused for my tastes).

Song is pretty nice. That music style isn't my kind of thing, but I recognize it as a good example of that style and it worked well as accompaniment to the animation.

Story is pretty cool as a mood-piece that tells everything through visuals. A lot is left unexplained and undeveloped, but I think that's good because ambiguity works well with these visual mood-pieces, and for something so short, that's what you want to go for.

All in all, great, and totally anime. All I can do is laugh at the people who say it isn't, or even those who care so much about that distinction. I like anime because of the animation rather than the fact that it's from Japan. I get the impression that everyone who has a bee in their bonnet about this is the opposite.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
It was always clear, whether you knew it to be fact or otherwise, that Porter was a fan of Anime/Japanese culture. His music style oozed it for years - it's one of the things that drew me to his tracks initially.

It culminated with the release of Worlds a couple of years back with tracks like Sad Machine & Flicker.

This right here just solidifies it, and man, what a combination of music and animation!

You go, Porter! Love how this guy's evolving.

Credit to A1 too of course. Amazing stuff.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would, and it was a lot more emotional than I was expecting. I also liked the music quite a bit, unexpectedly. Good job, A-1 Pictures.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Oh the feels in the end.
Great music video and it was the first time i heard of Porter Robinson music and i lke it.

As for the whole reddit anime group, i still think their stance is rather silly that any works that was done by a non-Japanese is automatically not anime even though most Japanese will still call it anime regardless of the origin of the creator. coughRWBYJapaneseDubcough
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
BRSxIgnition wrote:
Watch out, it's not an Anime according to Reddit.

https://twitter.com/porterrobinson/status/788476396171427840

I swear, these weebs can be so damn insufferable at times. Space Dandy premiered its episodes in English on US television a full day before they premiered in Japan, does that mean that Space Dandy isn't an anime because it didn't air in Japan first? Those rules are so trite and and insult to the flexibility of animation as a whole. It actually prevents the concept of "anime" from expanding and evolving into something greater, just because of silly, close minded bias. I get a lot of enjoyment and interesting conversations out of the Reddit community, but man, screw those admins.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see the postivie response here. On MAL though, just look at the highest approved review.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34240/Shelter

The reviewer's comment page on their profile got bombarded with all sorts of comments that either disagreed or agreed with them. It's funny how positive fans referred to elitist as "pathetic and attention seeking", while the "elitist" referred to the happy go lucky fans as "incapable of thinking critically". Can't we all just get along?...nah, obviously not ever.

I have a lot to say about this short but I will probably edit this post later on. One thing for sure though, it's really great and simple, albeit touching.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
^I think your biggest problem was just expecting anything more from MAL, in general. I would consider myself pretty open-minded and capable of understanding criticism from most points of view, but MAL is a hotbed of exactly that type of "attention-seeking" elitist who tend to, honestly, just be pretty dumb people. I mean... this is literally one of the most laughable openings to a review I have ever read:

"Despite my acerbic persona, I don't think I normally say stuff that's this outlandish, but with Shelter, I feel like something crucial needs to be said about why this kind of content is not acceptable."

Like, what? Confused Laughing
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08 : Yep, that's my problem, actually hoping to think that MAL couldn't possibly get worse than it has already become and voila, it has jumped off the ledge. I am pretty familiar with the site (I guess almost every anime fan would know of MAL) as I had an account there and used it for a while before realizing that I got too busy with life and it's pretty hard to navigate there on a phone (I have a laptop but I much preferred to use this communication device) and ended up just choosing to browse ANN instead due to the better community, interesting articles, and proper moderation. It's a quite handy website to browse on the small screen as well. I am not that busy now so I just stuck for a while and usually just went to MAL for a bit of laugh or to check the reception for certain title. But enough of that off topic thing.

Any way, I am just posting that to see what else would people think of it. Weird to see the unexpectedly high amount of "useful" vote that the review got despite of the numerous Porter fans that I had seen so far that got agitated with that person. I don't mind criticism either, as it's just opinion but like a lot of people has said before me, this short is great and have stories in it. I actually felt a lot of emotion upon realizing how lonely that girl would be upon being in the state she is. You need to be a really exceptional being just to survive loneliness for 7 years, and that's a burden not everyone can take. It just make me felt like crying after hours and hours of thinking about it yesterday. Seeing how the review dismissed the short as a cheap knockoff that tried to garnered wins by pulling in emotions from people through the use of a cute girl, and calling those flashbacks as cheap memories to increase the pain that you would felt for her, it make me questioned myself whether this person that did the review just never actually felt even a semblance of emotion for other people, nor do they even actually experienced anything that is sad before. The girl doesn't exist but the general feeling does, and I think anyone that had gone through the same thing must have felt a lot once they see this work. They don't necessarily need to be lost out there somewhere though, but I guess you get what I mean.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, absolutely. I'll admit, I was really surprised that this sad attempt at attention seeking was so successful, and that so many people actually thought their review was good, but I guess that's the nature of that sort of community. A lot of people with very little critical skills themselves assume the most negative and verbose review must be the best one. It's a little depressing, but what can you do. Hopefully most of them are still kids and will grow out of that phase.

Anyway, I like MAL for their database, but the forum community and the type of people who review there are not usually worth paying much attention to.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Relevant: Change.org petition to adapt it into a full-blown series.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
@Relyat08 : Thanks for agreeing with me and see to it eye and eye. Likewise, I also agreed with your statement. Those people are probably just kids and jumped for the bandwagon of hate for a simple reason of "just because", probably. I do not speak for everyone and certainly aren't qualified in judging these people but personally, I think the reviewer might even make the review in the first place because they have problem with it being made by a genuine rich artist. I mean, there's so many haters out there for every famous artist and Porter Robinson isn't certainly a bottom dweller. Jealousy can drive someone a long way and I assume that this could be a motive, then again these so called anime connoiseur (how you spell it?) are pretty much hatching all over out there on MAL just like you said, and somehow every little things that has obtained a name for itself should be ripped to shred, even with the simplest of flaws being adjourned for the trial of a brutal court case. I'm myself fine with these people calling it out for their opinion to be made public but sometimes, I felt that it is just too much. Anime is an entertainment just like every other media out there, and it has always meant to served as something to entertained as that is the original purpose for its existence in the first place. Porter Robinson may as well just made this piece because he wanted to entertain everyone, or if he has other reasons for it, that is to his knowledge alone. The questions of whether people may enjoy these media or not is irrelevant as everyone has different experiences with similar title, just like how some people may hate Shelter for reasons e.t.c while some people may liked Shelter for reasons e.t.c. It's like, personally for me, many people has lost the true meaning of what these entertainment are supposed to served as. Day after day, as time passed by, I kept wondering when I'm gonna die, as it could happen any time, any where. The act of committing the quest for the search of being critical and analytic and all that just seemed weird for me to do as past time since people can be gone from this world just about any second any way. I thought to myself, rather than spending all these time spewing random shits about entertainment that I don't like, it's better that I watch something that truly matter to me, you know? Since time is limited and all.

All in all, I am sorry for this ridiculous train of thought of mine and hope that I didn't imply such a thing as making an opinion is crap since it's everyone's right to do so. It's up to everyone to determine the chosen activities that is worthy of their time. I am me, myself alone. Sorry if my post offended anyone too. Have a nice day and anyone that read this should be free to disagree. I'm hanging.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Shifting away from the MAL criticism for a minute (and turning to YouTube criticism, I guess), I couldn't help but notice that one of the "recommended" videos that popped up in Youtube's sidebar was an almost-two minute long video called "Is SHELTER Worth Watching?"

It had 75k views. Are people really that desperate to save four minutes that they can't just watch the original thing and decide for themselves?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3