• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trickster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I had put off the last two eps of the first season, so I watched them along with ep 13 this past Monday. Last season's finale was ridiculously melodramatic. My favorite part was Gakt singing the OP theme accapella at the beginning of episode 11--when he's not over modulating his voice (maybe via autotune?) and hampered by rock excess, it sounds especially gorgeous. He should sing acapella more often! Getting the lyrics translated (finally!) was the icing on the cake--it really highlighted 20 Faces' (key word) obsessive "love" for Akechi. The rest of the finale was basically 20 Faces' version of foreplay through the threat of violence and destruction. By the time Akechi & 20 Faces were facing one another, my thoughts were along the lines of "get a room!" I was entertained, at least! Laughing
Episode 13 was fallout and consequences for Hanasaki, Kobayashi being slightly more accepted but still being treated poorly verbally and taken for granted by his new colleagues. Everytime that kid tries to say *anything*, someone interrupts him and tells him to shut up. Every. Time. I feel so bad for him, no wonder he's always so grumpy! I want them to forgive Hanasaki because he treats Kobayashi better than anyone else, and their scenes together are cute.
So where did Akechi go? That's the big question, and despite all this show's flaws, I still want to keep watching to find out that, and, of course, Kobayashi whole deal (where did he come from and how was he made indestructible?). I definitely voted for the continuation of its episodic reviews! Sorry, I just like the reviews of this sub-par show too much to let it go.

By the way, the new OP & ED are both new songs--not last season's songs switched around (the singers switched around with new songs). I liked both songs better last season. What they should do is just have Gakt sing acapella everyweek. I don't care what he sings, even public domain songs like Mary had a Little Lamb (which I'm sure he could do in character as 20 Faces and make it sound creepy and obsessive). His voice is gorgeous!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@Gina: The songs are new, as Agent355 pointed out. But they're about as "new" as most things Trickster throws at us, and I just found it amusing to imagine how everyone was really pleased with the exciting decision to switch the singers around, have them sing the B-side and call it a day.

Also, yes to more a capella Gackt.

Thanks for sticking around, y'all.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Anne wrote:
Quote:
While it left a lot to be desired, picking Trickster as my worst anime of the year was uncalled for, and I might just try to fight my anti-completionist nature to find out who will end up killing whom in the end.

Yay! Very Happy I am no completist either, but am determined to finish this by now, if only to prove to myself that i actually can (and to watch everyone kill each other, hopefully...).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Anne wrote:
owls coming with cables for data transfer in their plumage

Have they actually said what the deal with the owl is? Is it a cyborg or a robot? I'd been thinking robot up until this episode, but it seemed to have more of a will of its own and showed some affection this time, so I'm not sure. It could just be programmed for that.

Thanks for the reviews! You always spot things I don't, so I hope you'll share your observations in the discussion thread if you can manage to keep going. Smile
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What they should do is just have Gakt sing acapella everyweek. I don't care what he sings, even public domain songs like Mary had a Little Lamb (which I'm sure he could do in character as 20 Faces and make it sound creepy and obsessive). His voice is gorgeous!

As a long time fan of Gackt, I fully endorse this 100%!!

I'll continue to watch Trickster, because I just need to see what happens at this point. Hoping we'll get some more backstory on Akechi and Twenty Faces, but not really expecting it...would be a nice surprise though!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have they actually said what the deal with the owl is? Is it a cyborg or a robot? I'd been thinking robot up until this episode, but it seemed to have more of a will of its own and showed some affection this time, so I'm not sure. It could just be programmed for that.

I was also leaning towards robot before, but it looked rather alive this week. Genetically modified to be as trainable as it seems to be?
zero_shaoran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
It's one of the several anime that has a good start with build up expectation. You can see the effort they put on some of the background drawing which declined as the rating/review went south. As a fan of detective series (aka Conan which has numerous repetitive gag and redundant gimmicks happening every few episodes),
Needless-to-say, there is actually very little detective work involved when they solve the case or not the the point that most viewer can follow and solve it themselve before the answer is revealed type. (Lacking realism is what made some viewer felt disconnected and become 'just witness')

That being said,
I'll watch it to the end and am glad the series got dubbed
^___^ It's fun to try watch different type of animes even if you probably won't like it at first, there are many good underrated anime/drama that aren't main steam that's worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5