• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Nanbaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Dayum, they just never stop sparkling, even when puking up blood! I keep thinking there must be some hidden code to the sparkles, some message in how many, what color and where they occur, but if there is I sure can't crack it. Smile

Quote:
So why Jyugo and #634, and why now? What makes them and their abilities special?

Because those two were the only ones actively trying to kill each other and anyone who got between them?

Quote:
Isn't that a case where the ends justified the means? If Jyugo will ultimately be fine, is it really so horrible that Hajime did that to avoid Jyugo hurting others?

It probably would have been if Hajime had stopped beating him once he was down. But he just kept pounding away, until he was stopped.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
What the hell did I just watch? I don't mind genre shifts but this transition was poorly done and the zany comedic antics still linger. Worst is that the comedy functions the same and stands out. I'll keep watching but wow, that was weird but had some really good scenes in there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

OMG, Jyugo stopped sparkling!!!! Shocked

I know a lot of people aren't happy with the shift from zany comedy to drama, but it's working fine for me. I liked this episode a lot, despite all the wannabe profound philosophizing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I think we were supposed to take Nico's story seriously. I did, anyway. It seemed like he was being experimented on, which is why he lost his will to live, being chained to a bed all the time. And if you can't read, being given stories you can still understand that open up a whole new world to you is quite a gift, so I didn't take that as just "simple pleasures." Along with the fact that Jyugo didn't judge him for not being able to read, and instead just instinctively gave him what he needed. I can see how that would endear Nico to him.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Gotta feel sorry for Musashi, he had great parents.

That was one awesome game room, almost makes me want to go there.

I hope that blonde headed freak gets what he deserves.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Quote:
In fact, why aren't the guards already looking out for this? How is Elf able to get into this impregnable prison in the first place? ... Putting that plot hole aside...

It's hardly fair to call all this a plot hole when it's so obvious the writers intended for us to be asking those very questions. It is odd, and not just Elf's presence. How did he keep disappearing and appearing all over the place? Why did Jyugo keep thinking he was wounded when he wasn't?

It wouldn't surprise me if Elf was a figment of his imagination, a sort of implanted PTSD to keep escapees from the man with the scar in line. Or maybe Elf was real, but here he's all in Jyugo's head. Maybe the man with the scar just gave him Powerz. Whatever the explanation, I'm sure they'll give us one, rather than handwaving it all away next season. If they don't, I'll eat this post.

I love the title of the next episode, "Nanbaka is a Comedy Anime." Very Happy
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
That was a good series, very much looking forward to season 2.

The Elf is one scary dude, I think I would also want to get the hell out of there.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one deeply disturbed by Jyugo's cat face??? Laughing
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
I will never get tired of seeing interactions between the warden and Hajime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
I liked the color palette swaps, but except for Jyugo, no one else's seemed off to me. Very Happy Without the captions telling me who got swapped I mostly wouldn't have been able to tell you.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree that episode 15 was pretty drawn out and didn't have much to offer. Part of this is the way the anime has been adapting from the manga. Nanbaka is similar to a Korean webtoon: chapters are around 20 pages and usually don't contain a whole lot of content. This allows for improved comedic timing and the jokes that don't land are over quickly.

Unfortunately, the anime winds up stretching them. The action scenes can be built upon and work fine, but the jokes often don't feel as natural. Episode 15 basically covers 4 relatively content-light chapters, and adds additional scenes. I thought for sure this stuff would last half an ep and then the rest would be introducing the new arc. For contrast: the episode with Jyugo's apology/Musashi's explanation was 8 chapters and more text heavy.

Also worth mentioning that the show has been playing with the order of scenes. Manga-wise, this content happens shortly after Jyugo's apology (~chap. 38). The arc it's about to enter is at chapter 64. This has happened with other gags and Tsukumo's story, which wasn't originally jammed in the tournament arc. This isn't much of an issue except for one thing that Rose actually brought up: (very slight spoiler) spoiler[After finding him on the roof, Hajime brings Jyugo to the prison infirmary and goes to Mitsuru to determine what happened via security footage.] Unless they do this scene in flashback or ignore it all together, it'll look like he sat on this information for quite a bit of time.

I *think* what's happening is that they're trying to save gags for breather episodes, especially because the arc going forward doesn't have many. Oh, yeah, don't get your hopes up on this arc being shorter. I like it better than the first big arc, but even in the manga it's fairly long. On the other hand, maybe this will allow for for episodes to be paced faster... Really, I do enjoy the show, but the background I have with the manga probably helps.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
I don't really care for the character much, but maybe that's because they've done nothing with him that's actually funny or even endearing. I did however enjoy how the boys one by one just started showing up in the room as if they belonged there. It was the most subtle joke of the episode, which is certainly damning with faint praise.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I took the same approach as Rose when I first encountered this material. Samon--most of the cast, really--existed on the peripheral. I quickly came to appreciate his character. It made me think that the author had plans to eventually explore all of the characters.

One thing that somewhat irks me is that the anime cut out some parts with the other guards. For the record, the cat guard's name is Mao Nimaijita, who goes by the nickname Tamao. Hockey mask guy is Damian (Building 6), rabbit guard is Tomato Ichijou (Building 1?) and rainbow/wing guard is Nijimasu Nanairo (Building 7).

The manga originally has all of them speak and you get a basic idea of their personalities. Maybe the budget wasn't large enough to bring on the extra voice actors. It doesn't *really* matter, I guess, since it's just Mao who sets Samon off.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
It's not said outright (and manga readers could correct me) but I think the woman who tries to visit Enki might be his wife, which may explain why Samon refers to her as he does.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Unless I missed somebody, Samon Goku isn't just playing monkey with Kiji's pheasant and Kenshirou's dog to Momoko's "peach girl." Apparently he's doing double duty as Goku with (Inori) Hakkai and (Houzuki) Sanzo too. Not sure if we have a Sha Gojyo yet to go with that group, unless Godai's hatband is intended to evoke Gojyo's headband in Minekura's version. I haven't noticed any kappa lurking about.

But...but...the sparkles! What happened to the sparkles? Why did everyone suddenly stop sparkling in this episode? Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4