• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Nanbaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It felt a little like having its cake and eating it too, or maybe it was training wheels for actual yaoi.

One of the strange things to me about 90s and early 2000s yaoi fandom in Japan (and probably the US) is that there were a lot of girls who liked yaoi but were as homophobic about actual gay men (or lesbians, or anything else) than other Japanese people, or even more so. They made a strange separation between fantasy and reality. (Then again, growing up in that period I knew people were seemed tolerant but would use "gay" and such as epithets.) Some recent polls indicate that this is changing.

Another aspect is that it adds more of a "forbidden love" when people insist that they aren't gay. Couple that with how a lot of it is supposed to still allow for a bit of self-insertion of the heterosexual female yaoi fan for one of the characters, and there's a lot going on. It's not as though being on the down low and insisting on one's heterosexuality hasn't occurred in real life. And it's certainly the case that some people will draw upon any hints of nonconformity to gender stereotypes to insist that a person or character must "really" be gay or trans or what have you. (Some people do this in a pejorative way, while others are just looking for representation.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this episode was problematic to say the least. :/

I didn't think the bots were made of actual human flesh and blood. "It's covered with materials similar to skin and veins." <squick> Even squickier was that guard with the pink striped hair - it looked like he was wearing a raw steak draped over his face.

I wonder what Jyugo's problem is? He acts like he's drugged, or in shock. If the former, when? If the latter, why?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

Huh, you're probably right that "key" has an alternate meaning, but up to now I'd just assumed he meant the key that was opening all the barriers for them, which they couldn't get through without him. Especially since the kappa seemed quite prepared to kill him, which you wouldn't want to do if he had a greater key-like role in Enki's plans.

I also didn't think pyro guy was being mean to Jyugo. He convinced the arrowhaired one to help him after all. (sorry, don't remember anyone's names, can't be bothered to look them up)
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the awful "humour" from last week didn't get a repeat...i miss Hajime and Samon, though.

I don't regard the Building 3 guys quite as critical as Rose, their treatment of Jyuugo made a lot of sense in their particualr situation. They are on the run and fighting for their lives, i don't think treating an (arguably) depressed guy nicely needs to be their first priority...besides, their teamwork was pretty cool!
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
So, when you get right down to it, they decided to continue Nanbaka for another cours past the solid stopping point we got in episode 13... all so they could spoiler[instead end the entire anime series in the middle of an arc right before the climax.] Thanks?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
So, when you get right down to it, they decided to continue Nanbaka for another cours past the solid stopping point we got in episode 13... all so they could spoiler[instead end the entire anime series in the middle of an arc right before the climax.] Thanks?

I know, right? What the hell were they thinking?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Nanbaka did exactly what I feared it would do by stopping mid-arc. I've seen enough non-endings that I can at least try to be satisfied with finishing an arc, even if the larger plot is unresolved. When the whole Building 5 story started, it became pretty obvious that we wouldn't get a conclusion, but I had hoped it could have finished that much, at least.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, either they have reason to think they're very likely to get another season, or they plan to wrap this arc in an OVA. Way too many series just give up and quit when they don't get renewed (Beelzebub, I'm lookin' at you), but it's becoming more common for OVAs to fill in for an ending, especially if they got more than 12 episodes to begin with. So I'll hold out that faint hope.

That aside, I did enjoy the episode. It was good to see the kappa get his ass kicked by the pheasant, and Hajime's ridiculous "who needs arms?" bit was funny. Probably the best part was Jyugo's answer to "why are you here?" and the feeling that Hajime was thinking, "Dude, I asked why you were down here, not for your life story."
Hidders

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not too worried that they won't wrap this up later but I am bummed that the ride is over. While the anime itself isn't anything more than a 7/10 at the best of times, it was the series I most looked forward to watching every week. Silly-fun series (like Hozuki-kun, Saiki-kun, Sakamoto-kun, Seki-kun, and Bakumatsu Rock) just make my day infinitely better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
The OVA didn't really get off the ground until Hajime belatedly showed up, but even he couldn't save it. I think the only part I really found funny was the reveal that the class actually had 633 students in it, but these 5 were the only ones who ever came to school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4