• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Will Not Be Compatible With Wii U Discs, 3DS Cards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised and I don't get why people are actually disappointed. I still want one regardless, because it looks as though not only are they planning enhanced Wii U games but they also have quite a few developers on board.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
I think he's talking about Wii and Wii U and how they had different stores so you have to redownload and rebuy the games you bought for the Wii on the Wii U.

Although given that the Wii U and 3DS work off the same eShop I don't think that will be an issue this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I never bothered transfering anything from my Wii, but can't you transfer all of you digital Wii purchases (or at least what's downloaded and not the purchase itself) to the Wii U like you can between the DSi and the 3DS?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind this. Considering how Nintendo implemented backwards compatibility with their old consoles for such a long time compared to their competitors.

However I do hope their next system after the switch will be backwards compatible to keep with tradition.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
This current Gen's systems have too many cons. For example I don't understand why Sony did not design the PS4 Pro to play 4K Blu-rays. Even IF the world is going digital, at least let us have the option to choose because NOT EVERYTHING is available for digital download or streaming. I was going to buy the Transformers 30th Anniversary Blu-ray but I'm going to have to wait it out a bit until the next PS4 model.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Do people here throw away their consoles or something? I still have my original NES from back in the day. Backwards compatibility is convenient but not really necessary IMO.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The issue is probably convenience, you have your console set up, your cable box/satellite box set up, you have a place for bluray/Dvds, if your console doesn't play Dvd/blurays you have a blue ray/dvd player, so setting up another console will be another mess of plug in cables and wires especially if the kids regularly switch between consoles.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This shouldn't be a surprise, the architecture is probably vastly different to make porting simpler and thus, get the third party support they need. I'd like to see some eShop backwards compatibility now that they've unified the accounts System but I won't hold my breath.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
There's three things I have to say:

1. Prior to this announcement, I suspected that the Nintendo Switch wouldn't be compatible with Wii U discs.
2. I think it's very interesting and unique that the Switch games are being released on game cards rather than optical discs. I wonder if the game cases will be a similar size to the 3DS game cases.
3. I'm really hoping that the Switch games will be region free! There might be some Japanese exclusive games released for the system I would be very interested in playing.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Emulating other hardware is NOT easy, folks... And it bewilders me that people would think it is. If the architecture is similar, but the new hardware is 2-3x more powerful, it may be possible to do JIT conversions, but when the architecture is massively different (e.g., PS3 and PS4) software emulation needs a hell of a lot of (spare) horsepower to pull off.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why everyone is shocked and outraged by this news when we've known that Switch wasn't going to be backwards compatible for months now. Nobody complained about the original Wii not being backwards compatible with the Gamecube so I don't know why everyone is outraged now about the Switch. I bet most of the Nintendo haters probably didn't even play half of the Wii U games and are just looking for an excuse to bash Nintendo because whining is what people do on the Internet these days. And if you are a real Wii U fan, why are you whining about backwards compatibility for a system you already own? If you're too lazy to switch systems to play a Wii U game, you need to get off your butt every once and awhile. Rolling Eyes When I was growing up with the original NES and Super NES, backwards compatibility was something that didn't even exist yet. These Nintendo haters don't know how good they have it these days.
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Not a big deal, if you already have the systems for those games just keep them.
metroid24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
id never thought I would say this but Nintendo u guys are dumb a@@@s no BC support will hurt sales I was curious on this console but no BC support may be a deal breaker for me and many others I know feel the same they better fix it
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I never expected it'd be compatible with either, given that it only has a single screen. I suppose it's not inconceivable you could pair a Wii U game pad with it, but considering that they don't sell those individually, that'd mean you'd have to already own a Wii U.

Plus the Wii U has a PPC architecture and the Switch is supposedly using a custom Tegra chip (which is probably ARM-based), and even if it's somewhat more powerful than the Wii U, there's no way it'd be powerful enough to accurately emulate a different architecture that's of comparable power.

At this point, I've got a bigger list of things I hope they don't do with the Switch than things that they do do. I know I can trust Nintendo to make great games, but they have a history of making odd hardware decisions and putting arbitrary limitations on their platforms...
JDude042

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company elaborated that the Nintendo Switch is not designed to be the successor to either earlier system.

Except that both systems will eventually be phased out in favor of this new console. The same way the PS3 has been slowly phased out in the past few years since the PS4 launched. Even if they want to be nice and say that, the sad truth is that they're more or less done with at least the Wii U in my opinion. Of course they're not gonna come flat out and say that without sugar coating it like they did, otherwise they're gonna piss off a lot of people. Like it or not, the Wii U wasn't successful and if it was, then I don't think they would be so quick to dismiss it in favor of a completely different console, instead of just making an upgraded version of the same console, the way Sony and Microsoft are going with the PS4 and XBoxOne. They'll probably release some Wii U games for the next year or two that are also going to be on the Switch, while they slowly phase out the Wii U in favor of the Switch. As great as the 3DS is, it's been around 6 years now and it's more or less ran its course. It's only got another few years in it at best I'd say.

Last edited by JDude042 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Do people here throw away their consoles or something? I still have my original NES from back in the day. Backwards compatibility is convenient but not really necessary IMO.

I still have my Nintendo 64......out of my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo,Gameboy Color, Sega Game Gear, Gamecube, my uncle's hand me down Xbox none of which I threw away and my PS2 which I sold.

CCTakato wrote:
Nobody complained about the original Wii not being backwards compatible with the Gamecube

.....the original Wii is backwards compatible with the Wii it's the newer models that aren't.

CCTakato wrote:
When I was growing up with the original NES and Super NES, backwards compatibility was something that didn't even exist yet. These Nintendo haters don't know how good they have it these days.

Complaining about lack of backwards compatibility isn't something borne out of contempt for Nintendo it's something that people have gotten used to for decades since the PS2 became the first console to offer it. So people are used to newer consoles having it...despite the extra cost involved in including it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4