• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Occultic;Nine Episodes Temporarily Removed From Crunchyroll, Daisuki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Strange. And as is usual in the anime industry, no explanation at all, of course. I wish Japan would lose its fear of, you know, information.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest with you guys, the first 2 episodes of this show was pretty trash, so I don't blame them for doing what they did ( and its really low on MAL ) so not a very good impression so far.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Strange. And as is usual in the anime industry, no explanation at all, of course. I wish Japan would lose its fear of, you know, information.
No, I wish they had more fear to an extent. While their lack of fear in the industry is one of the main appeals of anime, it's also the reason people despise the medium.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
The opinions I've read is that the english subtitles are making a confusing show totally incomprehensible. I've only watched the first episode and it was definitely difficult to keep things straight.

So (as a pure guess) maybe they're holding out for CR to commit to doing better subtitles.

It's like Evangelion 3.33 all over again.

dark13 wrote:
I'll be honest with you guys, the first 2 episodes of this show was pretty trash, so I don't blame them for doing what they did ( and its really low on MAL ) so not a very good impression so far.

Not that I necessarily disagree with this, but MAL ratings are hardly what I'd consider a reliable gauge of quality.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, J-Novel Club's streaming of the original novel is unaffected!

It's a lot easier to understand, too...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I know that the show wasn't well-received neither abroad nor "at home," but didn't think it would be at that level.

Another possibility is that something wasn't cleared to be shown internationally, with the IP rights holders going "this wasn't discussed with me" or something. Kinda like why there isn't any Macross content for some years now.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
The show being garbage is just your opinion. There's a lot of people that like the show that I knew and they say to watch the episodes (especially the first one) a lot of times (depending on your level of understanding) to completely grasped what is being presented. And MAL's score is hardly reliable, but that's also include any sort of site that dealt with reviews and anime scoring/ranking/grading for me (not just MAL) because personally, no score/grade should really be minded by anyone as it's always up to the watcher themselves to determine whether they would like something or not. That's just the end thought of my spectrum however. The scoring and review system always existed so that people with no time or chances to watch/play/read/listen to something can determine the quick value of a certain media and I can appreciate the fact that someone use them to judge an entertainment, though it's just something I can't agreed with.

Either way, the episodes might shown up again sooner or later.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
If you have to watch a show a bunch of times to fool yourself into thinking it's quality, then I'm sorry, your show is trash. There's nothing wrong with liking a bad show but it's an insult to anime as an art form to try and pretend something so awful is actually good and then chastise others for pointing out the reality. And people complaining about the ratings not being representative are just being sour grapes about it.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
were the episodes yanked because of a scandal or something involving staff or VA's? I know for the HD re broadcast for Garo they skipped episode 4 due to the actor playing the doctor being caught up in a drug scandal could there be a similar reason?
PulsarSmash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that the production committee may have been responding to viewer and advertiser feedback that in its current form the show was too hard to follow. They may have figured they were better off re-editing the show to flow better than keeping it as is and risking people dropping the show and not coming back. I like the look/feel of the show but after the first two episodes I decided I would have to wait until it was complete to watch it in one sitting, otherwise I was going to be completely lost.

To be fair, I felt the same way about Baccano when I first watched it, and it ended up being one of my favorites.
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
dark13 wrote:
The show being garbage is just your opinion. There's a lot of people that like the show that I knew and they say to watch the episodes (especially the first one) a lot of times (depending on your level of understanding)

Either way, the episodes might shown up again sooner or later.
Oh I understood what was going on ( I watch Gundam shows that deal with 90% politics ) My issue is, it was too simple for my taste and felt like I was watching Steins Gate for some odd reason ( don't know who made this show but that the feeling I'm getting ) but the biggest factor was I didn't really care for what was going on about the whole paranormal stuff, and now I'm on the edge do I wanna keep watching or should I drop it ?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
First, nobody is mocking anyone for pointing the so called truth. I don't know what make you think that way. Everyone has different experiences with every show so just because someone seen it as a negative, doesn't mean that others think the same. And some people actually has different intepretation of what make an art or not, hence what I aforementioned before. In this case with Occultic Nine, it's fine if you think that it is just a literal work of garbage but sorry to say that there are people that don't think such a way. Secondly, you may think that those weird ass renowned anime like Texhnolyze, Serial Experiment Lain, Baccano, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Ghost Hunt as crap then, since many people apparently confused by those shows and stated that it required a lot of time to watch a few episode from each anime to completely grab an understanding. There's always exist something that required a lot of attention and focus to make sense of it since not everything can be understood in a single watch/read whatever (especially that Occultic Nine hasn't even finish airing yet so it has load of chances to explain/develop things). Finally, I don't really care about the overall rating because I will like things that I like, and those low scores aren't going to change my mind since it's just the opinion of mass.

@dark13 : It probably felt similar to Steins;Gate because apparently it has connection with that work. I think Occultic Nine has the same creator. It's up to you to decide whether you wanted to watch or not because it's your life, your decision. If you don't enjoy it, might as well leave the show and watch something else.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

"Lets take this opportunity to complain about Aniplex' physical media prices!"

While not unexpected with ANN being the nest of rabid Aniplex haters, it's still kind of... Wow man, like really? Anime dazed

Love their shows, hate their business practices. Because we love their shows, it hurts more that they are going this route.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Blood- wrote:
No, I wish they had more fear to an extent. While their lack of fear in the industry is one of the main appeals of anime, it's also the reason people despise the medium.

Eh, I think we are talking about two completely different things. I'm talking about the Japanese penchant for keeping consumers/citizens in the dark. The Japanese attitude seems to be: they don't need to know this or it would be mildly embarrassing for us to say this publicly so we won't.

Creative fearlessness, which is what I think you are talking about, should be encouraged always and anyone who "hates' anime because of that can pretty much blow me.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Since we're open to wild speculations, I think that maybe it's because of the NicoNico appearing in the first 2 episodes. If they haven't got the rights to put it... I was surprised they didn't even turn it into "MicoMico" or something like that. Like they usually turn Youtube into Yotobe, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4