• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge similar to video game or not?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge is an adaptation of Capcom's Darkstalkers series of video games. In the midst of a war between the families of Demitri Maximoff and Morrigan Aensland for control of the Demon World, alien invader Pyron arrives on Earth and plans to take it over by taking out those who stand a chance of stopping him, namely the Darkstalkers. Meanwhile, dhampir Donovan Baine seeks to rid himself of the cursed blood which runs through his veins.

Four of the original Darkstalkers, Anakaris, Rikuo, Sasquatch and Victor are not featured in the OVA's main storyline, apparently having been killed by Pyron in a flashback sequence shown in the beginning of the fourth episode.

Alright, i have a couple of things to think about with this. first of all this anime only lasted 4 episodes! that's even shorter then the shitty american darkstalkers. and second of all Donovan Baine appears durring the same time when demitri was the anti hero of the story that didn't happen until Darkstalkers 2 came out. on the bright side though, Scott mcneil did Lord Raptor really good and other then the 2 worst.Very Happy

this is a great way to make a fighting game that hasn't been seen by capcom for so long have some credit. but only just one thing, is this anime really similar to the fighting game series or not?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
From my experience, most fighting-game-to-anime adaptations are really more of a superficial thing. You get to see the characters, you get to see them fight a little, and the story is pretty much just made up from various plot elements of whatever they had going in the games.

I've seen Night Warriors, all of the Fatal Fury anime, Street Fighter II V, and Street Fighter Alpha: The Motion Picture multiple times and played the games enough to determine what I said above: the elements are there, it's kinda' cool to see everything in animated form, but the stories are "loosely based on" these franchises, at best. If you like the games enough, I would say give it a shot. However, don't expect really awesome storytelling or anything like that. Although, admittedly, I regard Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture as one of my all-time favorite anime movies for various reasons. But that's just me.

Night Warriors was okay, though. I thought the first two episodes did a lot to set up the Darkstalkers world, but the plot goes all over the place for the last two and makes the whole thing feel very un-focused. It basically turns from Donovan's wandering adventure to everybody fighting Pyron.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
As a big fan of the games, I enjoy the Darkstalkers OVA. It may not be a masterpiece, but the tone feels faithful to the games. I consider to be better than most fighting games anime out there. It's also way better than the American cartoon show. The story may not be perfect, but I do like it try to focus on other characters too.

Fans of Street Fighter and DBZ should also enjoy it too for having similar fast pace action scenes (Even Pyron can blow up planets similar what you see in DBZ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1