• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Japan-International Co-Productions Revisited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It's a crime that Avatar isn't on this list. Some of the episodes were animated by Studio Pierrot. Also, Thundercats 2011 was animated by Studio 4C.

Totally forgot about Thundercats.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Avatar, to me, was the first show that did challenge my perception of what Anime was. Because before I had never seen something from America that looked liked it.

That's mainly because it's not very profitable. The same reason why you will never see anything like it ever again unless it's by the same people. Avatar did mediocre, but Korra was a flop. That's not really what people want out of cartoons. If people want anime, they will watch anime rather than some American attempt an anime. I would guess one of the main reason The Loud House is the most successful kids cartoon on TV at the moment is because it is 100% a cartoon. It's not trying to be like anime, it's not trying to be some "lore" show like Adventure Time and Steven Universe where older people only like a small part of those shows and dismiss the rest as filler, it's just a straight forward cartoon which oddly enough is pretty rare in this day and age. It's very reminiscent of a comic strip in the Sunday paper.

For me personally, if I want to watch anime I will watch anime and if I want to watch a cartoon I will watch a cartoon. Part of what attracts me to animation from a certain country is the culture that surrounds it. Code Lyoko offered a look at French culture, Hey Arnold offered a look at American culture, and anime offers a look into Japanese culture. A problem with shows like Avatar is their view of another country's culture is very watered-down and often times wrong. There's more Japanese culture in a single episode of Detective Conan then the entirety of Legend of Korra. So a show just throwing it some chibis and anime references is not enough to scratch that itch for me.

-Stuart Smith
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved that episode of Adventure Time. I found out about 2 months after watching it that Yuasa directed it. It seems silly in retrospect, but that kind of blew my mind at the time.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
My simple definition of "anime" is that it's animation produced in Japan (it doesn't matter here if the director or some animators are japanese or not) intended first and foremost for a japanese audience

This also my definition word by word. Even when some of the work are made by secondary teams in other countries like Korea and China, the main production team is based in Japan and anime is intended first and foremost for a Japanese audience.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Swissman wrote:
My simple definition of "anime" is that it's animation produced in Japan (it doesn't matter here if the director or some animators are japanese or not) intended first and foremost for a japanese audience

This also my definition word by word. Even when some of the work are made by secondary teams in other countries like Korea and China, the main production team is based in Japan and anime is intended first and foremost for a Japanese audience.

Not just Korea/China anymore, but I've seen an increasing amount of Vietnamese names in the credits as well. A lot more has been getting offshore help from a few countries, now.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
What makes something anime is somewhat subjective these days, I guess. I know anime when I see it, and it's really hard to put into words exactly what it is that makes something anime. Being made entirely in Japan isn't a necessity, as many anime have a lot of outsourcing, being directed by a Japanese person isn't a necessity, because some anime have foreign direction, being made for Japanese people is definitely not essential, and finally, and most importantly ANIME IS NOT A STYLE. People who say this seem to have a limited understanding of what anime is and looks like. Tekkon Kinkreet does not look anything like K-ON!, Kaiba does not look anything like Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate does not look anything like Mononoke, Panty and Stocking does not look anything like Asterisk War. For me, I think what it comes down to generally is whether or not it was primarily produced by a Japanese animation studio. Where they got the money, who the original creator is, and who they hired to actually make it, isn't as important. But hey, that's just my definition. Though the whole "anime style" thing is just objectively wrong.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Avatar, to me, was the first show that did challenge my perception of what Anime was. Because before I had never seen something from America that looked liked it.

That's mainly because it's not very profitable. The same reason why you will never see anything like it ever again unless it's by the same people. Avatar did mediocre, but Korra was a flop. That's not really what people want out of cartoons. If people want anime, they will watch anime rather than some American attempt an anime. I would guess one of the main reason The Loud House is the most successful kids cartoon on TV at the moment is because it is 100% a cartoon. It's not trying to be like anime, it's not trying to be some "lore" show like Adventure Time and Steven Universe where older people only like a small part of those shows and dismiss the rest as filler, it's just a straight forward cartoon which oddly enough is pretty rare in this day and age. It's very reminiscent of a comic strip in the Sunday paper.

For me personally, if I want to watch anime I will watch anime and if I want to watch a cartoon I will watch a cartoon. Part of what attracts me to animation from a certain country is the culture that surrounds it. Code Lyoko offered a look at French culture, Hey Arnold offered a look at American culture, and anime offers a look into Japanese culture. A problem with shows like Avatar is their view of another country's culture is very watered-down and often times wrong. There's more Japanese culture in a single episode of Detective Conan then the entirety of Legend of Korra. So a show just throwing it some chibis and anime references is not enough to scratch that itch for me.

-Stuart Smith

Avatar was actually pretty successful, Korra wasn't because it never really got a chance.

As for your second point, I don't see how it was "trying to be anime", whatever that means. Because again that is such a vague term. Your saying because of the Japanese culture that makes it anime, well there are plenty of Anime that don't have a shred of Japanese culture. I guess Full Metal Alchemist isn't anime, since its mostly European culture, or even Space Dandy which is not even on Earth. Avatar mythos took inspiration from a lot of different Asian mythos. It wasn't was trying to be exclusively Japanese.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
article entry about Haoliner wrote:
The staff on these shows are a blend of both Chinese and Japanese animation professionals, and while the voice cast and script are in Japanese

To my understanding, all of those shows are actually written in Chinese, with a Japanese version being made for dubbing purposes. Streaming services are getting the Japanese dub, but those shows are getting Chinese dub as well. It is noticeable in things like the names of characters or places.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
What makes something anime is somewhat subjective these days, I guess. I know anime when I see it, and it's really hard to put into words exactly what it is that makes something anime. ... most importantly ANIME IS NOT A STYLE. People who say this seem to have a limited understanding of what anime is and looks like. Tekkon Kinkreet does not look anything like K-ON!, Kaiba does not look anything like Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate does not look anything like Mononoke, Panty and Stocking does not look anything like Asterisk War...the whole "anime style" thing is just objectively wrong.
Well, yelling only makes you right if you're a Presidential Candidate these days. If there were no common visual style, how would you know "anime when I see it"? That says there is a predominant visual style that you apparently recognize as representative of anime. Thus, not objectively anything, you're just saying "I don't agree with you, because...REASONS". I'm sure many would agree that K-ON looks like Love Live!, which looks like any number of other "moe" shows, so these are examples of one style people recognize that doesn't appear in animated shows outside Japan (France excepted for obvious reasons) and so are recognizable as typical of anime.

I mentioned that there were several styles that are obvious which all originated in Japan and so make up anime in general, but you attempt to disprove the rule by the exception which is flawed. The Simpsons look nothing like Adventure Time , which doesn't look like any Disney show, etc. but would anyone mistake them for being anime if they knew nothing about them beforehand and never heard the audio? Now they might mistake Panty and Stocking not being anime if they knew nothing and didn't hear the audio because they are copying an American art style.

The shows you mention are exceptions and being from Japanese productions one can't rule them out as not being anime. Google "anime style" and see what images come up and identify the shows they come from and their origin, it isn't just me but a bunch of people recognize the style. However, I would suggest studying what makes up "style" in art before saying there isn't one.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
H-Dizzle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
As an animator working in Japan here are my 2 cents on the matter:

I think this conversation is gradually becoming less and less relevant since globalization is internationally merging all of these industries. There are almost always going to be foreign markets involved in any given production from here on out, and likely more and more international animators working on the staffs. (That works both ways. Foreigners working in Japan ... but also Japanese animators working on Western projects.)

It`s too long to copy and paste in this post, but a couple days ago I went into greater depth on my own definition about "what defines anime" here:

[/url]http://htanimation.blogspot.com/2016/10/anime-vs-not-anime.html[url]
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I mentioned that there were several styles that are obvious which all originated in Japan and so make up anime in general, but you attempt to disprove the rule by the exception which is flawed. The Simpsons look nothing like Adventure Time , which doesn't look like any Disney show, etc. but would anyone mistake them for being anime if they knew nothing about them beforehand and never heard the audio? Now they might mistake Panty and Stocking not being anime if they knew nothing and didn't hear the audio because they are copying an American art style.

Honestly, I think Panty and Stocking, Mononoke, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Doraemon, and others look like anime. They don't look like K-ON at all, and yet they look like anime.
As you said, The Simpsons look nothing like Adventure Time and yet they both look like "cartoons" (as in not just moving drawings).
So I just called "cartoon" a style. it is. More accurately, I'd say it's a cluster of styles. Anime is the same. There's no one single anime style. Not even between what most people could recognize as anime. For example, K-ON and JoJo. Both are undeniably anime even to people who don't know anything, but look nothing alike.
I'm not really against saying that there are styles that can be categorized as anime. The thing is, anime itself shouldn't be defined by the style. There's not just a couple of exceptions, there are a ton. Even more so if you include manga (since most people use manga style and anime style interchangeably).

H-Dizzle wrote:
As an animator working in Japan here are my 2 cents on the matter

First I have to say that I really admire your work. Keep it up!

Now, on to the main point. I understand that trying to categorize may be unimportant in the end, and I fully agree with all your points on your blog post.
I just want to say that categories are useful when trying to convey what you're talking about, so I appreciate well-defined words.
As I said, I believe that a production is anime when most of the production and planning team is Japanese. A non-Japanese director wouldn't affect my definition of anime if a big part of the rest of the staff is Japanese. Not to mention outsourcing and such.
I also mentioned that the target audience really doesn't matter and will be even less important as anime gets more international recognition.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is that anime should mean "Japanese cartoons". That's it. Everyone should be able tell the difference between a Japanese cartoon and an American cartoon animated in Japan or an American cartoon with a similar style.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The opening for Drifters was animated by a Frenchman, Cedric Herole? Well, I guess that goes to show why it's so badass awesome. Here I was thinking that some heavy metal-style flavor was finally starting to seep back into anime again. It's such an awesome opening too, and though it's a shame that it's not exactly a sign of some interesting styles budding up from Japan's animation space, it definitely makes me hopeful for international animators picking up the torch for some of the awesome sensibilities that remind me of older anime works.

Regarding Thunderbolt Fantasy's status as animation, I think it's a bit of a gray area. The word "animate" seems to basically mean "to give life to", which I think is why you can call certain sorts of performance as being "animated", or describe things that are brought back to life as being "reanimated". I think, though, that people are so used to the word being used to describe frame-by-frame sorts of sequential animation these days, that it's usually used in a way that's distinguished from live-action sorts of performances. Personally I would call Thunderbolt Fantasy an "animation" only in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Reddit moderators didn't think that Porter Robinson & Madeons Shelter music video was "anime".

I do.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
I study animation, and I've had this conversation with some of my friends and teachers. They really seem taken aback every time. Are puppets animation? After all, they're technically live-action, too. Most people say they're not animation, but then I ask them whether a CG show that is being broadcast with mo-cap live counts as animation (like Naria Girls), and that's when they start doubting themselves. I mean, how can you say an obviously cartoonish 3DCG character is live-action? Although some people do say that mo-cap itself doesn't count as animation in the first place.
I personally count all of those as animation. My own line is drawn when it's people in suits. That question was asked to me by a friend and that's when I really had no answer. I mean, the Godzilla creators call it suitmation, but in the end it's just someone dressed in an animal outfit...

If we're going to get really pedantic, we can say that so long as it gives the appearance of movement, as opposed to being a still image, it counts as animation. Then all live action stuff is certainly animated.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
If the original voices aren't Japanese, then it's not anime.

Avatar? Cartoon. Lyoko? Cartoon. Pokemon Generations? Cartoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7