• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Japan-International Co-Productions Revisited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
How is The Transformers (G1) not on the list? Hell even the Unicron Trilogy.

G1? I presume it had to do with the lack of space. Since there were some Japanese animators on the creative end of things and all.

Unicron Trilogy? Armada's the only I could even consider (read: stretch my disbelief) a co-production. The later series I'd peg as full on Anime.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
If the original voices aren't Japanese, then it's not anime.

Avatar? Cartoon. Lyoko? Cartoon. Pokemon Generations? Cartoon.

That's a flawed logic. By your stance, Tenchi in Love is not an anime since it was recorded in English first and then dubbed into Japanese. It was still produced, written and directed by the Japanese, but at that time, Tenchi was huge in America. The #1 by a long shot.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Why is this random, barely contributing post that contained only buzzword (or meme) is still left standing even after a report was made?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
DrXL wrote:

In my opinion inclusiveness is the best way to approach it, since the world is becoming more and more global we only stand to gain by appreciating the style as the indicator of Anime over other factors

This.

Why does anyone care if it's Japanese or not?

Do you like it just because it's Japanese? Why? Do you think Japanese people are just superior to everyone else? Smarter? Do you think that only Japanese people are capable of making good art?
Or do you feel like all the time you've spent puffing up your ego, telling all the foolish, mainstream Americans in your social circle, "Look at me, look at me, I'm reading subtitles!", and that if Japanese producers let non-Japanese creators in, you can't do that anymore, and then what's left of you?

I like anime because in anime, I can find stories that have more depth and interest for me than in other media. Not all American books are dystopian Hunger Games knockoffs, not all American movies are either big action things or Oscar bait, but there's enough of that that anything actually good would be the proverbial needle in the haystack.

I want to write for anime. I want to write a story and have it adapted into a piece of animation that looks like some of the gorgeous things that studios like GoHands, A1, etc. make. I honestly don't care if people call it "anime" or not, as long there's enough people who don't care either way.
Lugamo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
My definition of anime is: Animation animated (at least partially) in Japan and executivelly produced by (at least) one Japanese company.
Arthaine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, it's anime if it reflects a Japanese way of looking at the world and it's animated. Not necessarily for a Japanese audience, but of a Japanese audience. Japanese directors and technical staff are more likely to create something that feels like anime, but that's not a hard and fast rule if you've got a western director who's a dedicated enough Japanophile.

So I think anime is a fuzzy and subjective category, and rule-based categorization, such as production location or nationality of staff, is purely arbitrary.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
As far as I am concerned anime is what we discuss here in the ANN forums.
That definition, such as it is, satisfies all of my needs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This discussion is really interesting. From what i read here opinions vary greatly with some have the same opinion.

But what really funny is that the Japanese definition of what anime is:
All forms of animation.

That is anime. Simply animation. Japanese, American, European, Chinese, etc.
For a Japanese person all animation is anime. Japanese anime, American anime, European anime, Chinese anime, etc anime
Disney is anime, Simpsons is anime, Naruto is anime, One Piece is anime, DxD is Anime, SAO is anime, Frozen is anime, all animation is anime

So let me correct my previous statement after acknowledge this.
For me:
Japanese anime is animation where the main production team is based in Japan and is intended first and foremost for a Japanese audience.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:
Why is this random, barely contributing post that contained only buzzword (or meme) is still left standing even after a report was made?

"Barely contributing" is still contributing. And it's satire. Now go away, forum police.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Animation that is made in Japan, end of story.

Indeed. In Japan all animation is anime so I prefer to use the term "animation" anyway, that covers it.

#861208 wrote:
DrXL wrote:

In my opinion inclusiveness is the best way to approach it, since the world is becoming more and more global we only stand to gain by appreciating the style as the indicator of Anime over other factors

This.

Problem is that there is no such thing as "anime style", or do you think Satoshi Kon's movies have the same "anime style" as Hidamari Sketch?

The only universal quality of manga and anime vis western stuff is that it's lines tend to be more defined (thicker), straight (more often drawn using rulers) and more angular.

Quote:

Anime is a weird thing actually. For other media, for instance, videogames or live action films, people don't care if it's Japanese or not (nobody cares that Metal Gear Solid 5 is Japanese while The Witcher 3 is Polish, or that Kurosawa's movies are Japanese while Kubrick's movies are American) but in animation, people really do care if it's Japanese or not.

I think the reason is that in the west animation has always been in the age and genre ghetto where you are not supposed to take anything that's animated seriously. While in Japan it's common to see characters speaking seriously and showing emotions such as anger, aggression, sexual attraction, virility, sadness, depression, etc. That's pretty much impossible in the animation made in the west.

Quote:
Do you like it just because it's Japanese? Why? Do you think Japanese people are just superior to everyone else? Smarter? Do you think that only Japanese people are capable of making good art?

I don't like "anime", I like animation. Japan happens to be the country that makes the bulk of the world's animation and the near totality of the world's adult or serious animation.

I think that with globalization it's a trend that studios in more and more countries will produce serious animation. Actually the bulk of anime is not made in Japan since 70% of the workers employed by Japanese animation studios are working in other countries (such as Korea and Malaysia) and are used as cheap labor for these studios. I think that in 20-30 years, Chinese animation will greatly dwarf Japanese animation in scale, diversity and complexity. They are already making as many movies as Japan is making but mostly children's stuff (similar to Japan's anime industry in the 1960 and 1970's).

Or course, western animation will gradually fade into complete irrelevance as in 30 years I guess even Indonesia and Philippines will be producing more animation than North America and Europe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

Or do you feel like all the time you've spent puffing up your ego, telling all the foolish, mainstream Americans in your social circle, "Look at me, look at me, I'm reading subtitles!", and that if Japanese producers let non-Japanese creators in, you can't do that anymore, and then what's left of you?

^Unfortunately, there are people like that out there in the world who believe this with a very narrow-minded attitude. The good news is they're a minority, so there's never any need to take them seriously.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
To me, anime is a loanword that refers to cartoons produced in Japan and is aimed at Japanese viewers at least partially.

I dislike anime/manga being referred to as an art style since it's limiting both Japan and other nation's works. There are artistic trends, but those change with time and individuals. It's also worth noting that what we usually see produced fits into the mold of what sells. When you look at arthouse or graduate films, they look vastly different--some of them even feel very Western. As an example, check out Onohana's Crazy Little Thing, which won the 2014 Oufuji Noburou Award.

Produced in Japan in this instance doesn't mean that the entire thing is animated in Japan, of course. It's rare that anything is fully animated in one nation due to costs. Audience-wise, my definition also allows for co-productions where Japan is a main target. I don't think staff has anything to do with it, honestly. People move around and contribute to international industries all the time.

So, by my definition, Bloodivores is produced in Japan and airs on Japanese TV. Anime. Shelter was produced in Japan and heavily marketed there, regardless of a couple staff members. Anime. Avatar was produced in the US for a North American audience. American cartoon. Thundercats had outsourced animation but was made for the NA market. Cartoon.

But really, this is only a way to differentiate anime from the rest because of Japan's incredibly high output. I don't put value on anime above other media. They're still cartoons. I love animation from all different countries. And on that note, I don't see why people feel so strongly about labeling, say, Avatar as anime. Does its value change if it's "just" an American cartoon? No. I think the Western output can become more rich and diverse is people become less wary of the term cartoon.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Anime is a weird thing actually. For other media, for instance, videogames or live action films, people don't care if it's Japanese or not (nobody cares that Metal Gear Solid 5 is Japanese while The Witcher 3 is Polish, or that Kurosawa's movies are Japanese while Kubrick's movies are American) but in animation, people really do care if it's Japanese or not.

I think the reason is that in the west animation has always been in the age and genre ghetto where you are not supposed to take anything that's animated seriously. While in Japan it's common to see characters speaking seriously and showing emotions such as anger, aggression, sexual attraction, virility, sadness, depression, etc. That's pretty much impossible in the animation made in the west.

This pretty much sums it up. The reason people have pissing contests in the first place is because the American industry has been in the ghetto for decades now. It's the exact same thing with comic books. Before the CCA there were tons of different genres and styles of comics but that single act pretty much killed them outside of superhero stuff and the industry never recovered.

Nobody argues about books or live action because America makes plenty of books and live action of various genres so there's no need to really argue between America and Japan. But when it comes specifically to animation and comics we lack behind Japan, which is why you see such lines in the sand being drawn. It also explains why Japan has no problem embracing American live action stuff, but American animation goes by unnoticed in Japan outside a few people.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Anime is animation made in Japan, basically. Yeah, a lot of stuff can be farmed out to other countries, like what the United States does.

We can argue about this forever.

Think the safe bet to say, is if it broadcasts with the Japanese anime seasons, then it can be considered anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japanese anime is animation where the main production team is based in Japan and is intended first and foremost for a Japanese audience.

This is probably the best response in this thread outside of using the technical definitions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7