• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Japan-International Co-Productions Revisited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Anime is animation made in Japan, basically. Yeah, a lot of stuff can be farmed out to other countries, like what the United States does.

We can argue about this forever.

Think the safe bet to say, is if it broadcasts with the Japanese anime seasons, then it can be considered anime.

That's actually a pretty reasonable, and probably more importantly, useful, definition.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Well, yelling only makes you right if you're a Presidential Candidate these days. If there were no common visual style, how would you know "anime when I see it"? That says there is a predominant visual style that you apparently recognize as representative of anime.

[cut]

Well wise guy, tell me what the common visual style is between Heidi and K-On! What makes Heidi as much anime as K-On! ? Or what is the visual common style between Don Chuck Monogatari and Dirty Pair ? Someone already said it, there is no visual common style in Japanese animation. The only sensible criteria for determining what is and isn't anime is a purely geographical one : a cartoon that is produced in Japan. As simple as that.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:
Why is this random, barely contributing post that contained only buzzword (or meme) is still left standing even after a report was made?

I think it adds a lot to the discussion. Is anime real? So much said with so little. You're just not seeing the depth in it because your eyes aren't real. #JusticeforFloozyGod
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@ relyat08... If there were no common visual style, how would you know "anime when I see it"? That says there is a predominant visual style that you apparently recognize as representative of anime.
Well wise guy, tell me what the common visual style is between Heidi and K-On! What makes Heidi as much anime as K-On! ? Or what is the visual common style between Don Chuck Monogatari and Dirty Pair ? Someone already said it, there is no visual common style in Japanese animation. The only sensible criteria for determining what is and isn't anime is a purely geographical one : a cartoon that is produced in Japan. As simple as that.
Once again, arguing there is no rule by saying there are exceptions is not valid and you apparently did not read my other comments where I state that where style isn't an indicator then origin takes precedence. Also, I've seen 100's of anime over decades too and I'm fairly confident from that sampling that there are more shows that are similar in style than there are exceptions by factors of at least 10. Thanks for calling me "wise" Wink

The question the article poses and that we are supposed to be commenting on is "what is the origin and is it "anime" when shows are co-produced outside Japan?". My response is that what has been called anime encompasses several recognizable styles in art and storytelling technique that makes it distinctive form other animations from around the world, making the question of origin irrelevant and that relying on style to answer the question is more "inclusive" Cool . If you can't recognize or don't accept what the general public (Google, artbooks, etc.) does about that, I can't say more.

However, did you know most "anime" aren't produced (as in animated) and more and more production, direction and artwork responsibilities don't rest with anyone in Japan anymore? Also as H-Dizzle, an American working currently in the Japanese animation industry points out, relying on "Japan only" as a definition is increasingly difficult to defend when creatives from around the world are joining in the process. He says in his blog "So please stop this nonsense" and I agree. Here's the link http://htanimation.blogspot.com/2016/10/anime-vs-not-anime.html Not so simple...
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My response is that what has been called anime encompasses several recognizable styles in art and storytelling technique that makes it distinctive form other animations from around the world, making the question of origin irrelevant and that relying on style to answer the question is more "inclusive" Cool . If you can't recognize or don't accept what the general public (Google, artbooks, etc.) does about that, I can't say more.

That's not what you first responded with to me. You are changing your argument. Now it's not one style it's multiple styles? Nice, at least we're making progress. Furthermore, you literally agreed with Selipse right after disagree with my comment when we were literally making the exact same point: Anime is not a style, it is an amalgamation of many many styles.
And like I said before, the shows that don't look like your original "anime style" are not the exceptions, they are the majority. I can make you a list with hundreds of anime, if you want.

Had to emphasize your last point here because using the general public's definition of "what is anime" is ridiculous. Not to be super elitist or anything, but this is an ultra niche medium of entertainment that is not very well understood by people outside of it, and not very well understood by probably the majority of casual fans either. As people watch more anime and see more styles that's when they realize that this "anime style" isn't really a thing. That anime is, once again, an amalgamation of many styles.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
I still think Kira from Seed shouldn't be in the poll because they were never called Newtypes in Seed or Seed Destiny, they were called Coordinators.

exactly what i was saying. i could probably get setsuna from 00 since ribbins mentioned him possibly being an innovator newtype class,but definitely not kira. favorite gundam pilot? i could probably get that. but definitely not a favorite newtype. and speaking of which, i am not surprised that the red comet is number 1 on the list. same with amuro and kameel being in the top 5. but lalah being 10th?????? that is one that'll seriously have my head scratching for a while. especially considering how insanely popular she is even to this day. sure not as popular as char, but still.

Regardless i'm surprised they mentioned CN's shelving off money for Big O II but didn't make a mention at all when they did the same thing in conjunction with Production I.G to make the Immortal Grand Prix (IGPX) TV series. those series pretty much go hand in hand more or less.

and if your mentioning adventure time, their had to have been a way to give a mention for the Teen Titans series & and the Ami Yumi series they did at the time since its OP songs was done by J-Pop duo High High Puffy Ami Yumi. Hell , that song made them so popular in the US, CN gave them their own TV series. even to this day now , people are still trying to determine whether or not Teen Titans and the high high puffy ami yumi show should be labeled a US cartoon or an anime just for that fact alone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
... ANIME IS NOT A STYLE...
I mentioned that there were several styles ...
That's my first response with emphasis. Nothing has changed. Selipse said the same thing. Him/Her I understand but I'm not sure you do. They were clear and agree that there are stylistic differentiators between anime and "cartoons" but didn't believe anime should be completely defined or limited by them. I agree with this too, anime evolves. Your point is that there are no style differentiators at all, you try to say something like "no two anime look alike" out of the 800 or so you've seen, and that isn't what I read them saying from their post.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Anime is a weird thing actually. For other media, for instance, videogames or live action films, people don't care if it's Japanese or not (nobody cares that Metal Gear Solid 5 is Japanese while The Witcher 3 is Polish, or that Kurosawa's movies are Japanese while Kubrick's movies are American) but in animation, people really do care if it's Japanese or not.

I think the reason is that in the west animation has always been in the age and genre ghetto where you are not supposed to take anything that's animated seriously. While in Japan it's common to see characters speaking seriously and showing emotions such as anger, aggression, sexual attraction, virility, sadness, depression, etc. That's pretty much impossible in the animation made in the west.

This pretty much sums it up. The reason people have pissing contests in the first place is because the American industry has been in the ghetto for decades now. It's the exact same thing with comic books. Before the CCA there were tons of different genres and styles of comics but that single act pretty much killed them outside of superhero stuff and the industry never recovered.

I might even guess that had comics not been restricted by the CCA, today the US comic and animation industries would be bigger than Japan's and like rock music, videogames and live action movies and TV, there wouldn't exist such thing as "anime", just "animation" and the anime fandom would be the animation fandom.

One cool thing about animation though is that as people are forced to consume Japanese stuff due to lack of competition is that we learn more about a culture distinct from the west in the process.

relyat08 wrote:
That's not what you first responded with to me. You are changing your argument. Now it's not one style it's multiple styles? Nice, at least we're making progress. Furthermore, you literally agreed with Selipse right after disagree with my comment when we were literally making the exact same point: Anime is not a style, it is an amalgamation of many many styles.
And like I said before, the shows that don't look like your original "anime style" are not the exceptions, they are the majority. I can make you a list with hundreds of anime, if you want.

Had to emphasize your last point here because using the general public's definition of "what is anime" is ridiculous. Not to be super elitist or anything, but this is an ultra niche medium of entertainment that is not very well understood by people outside of it, and not very well understood by probably the majority of casual fans either. As people watch more anime and see more styles that's when they realize that this "anime style" isn't really a thing. That anime is, once again, an amalgamation of many styles.

Indeed. And it's the "general publlc" means the "Anglo American public", because in Japan the word "anime" just means animation just as "manga" means comics.

Trying to claim that all of Japanese animation looks the same is pretty racist. It's like saying all blacks look the same and these conscious imitations of "anime style" in western culture remind me of stuff like dressing up in blackface for Halloween or stuff like this:

Stuff like RWBY feels exactly like that to me: it's just an animated series that consciously evokes the stereotypical perception of Japanese comics in Anglo America.

I actually think the word "anime" should be just dropped because it causes misunderstandings. I never use it (if I watch a Makoto Shinkai movie it's a movie, if I watch Yuki Yuna is a Hero it's a TV show) because people are just too ignorant and don't have a decent idea of what it means. In Brazil when I was a kid we didn't use the word anime to describe stuff like SaintSeya, DragonBall, Patlabor and Captain Tsubasa, they were just TV shows I watched.

I don't like that Brazilians now are adopting the word "anime" from the US to describe these shows. Back in the day it was only "animation", what in Portuguese we call "desenhos" or "drawings". Why use ethnic terms to label things, to create artificial barriers? It's like saying that someone is not a person ("cartoon"), it's a Jew ("anime").

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
... ANIME IS NOT A STYLE...
I mentioned that there were several styles ...
That's my first response with emphasis. Nothing has changed. Selipse said the same thing. Him/Her I understand but I'm not sure you do. They were clear and agree that there are stylistic differentiators between anime and "cartoons" but didn't believe anime should be completely defined or limited by them. I agree with this too, anime evolves. Your point is that there are no style differentiators at all, you try to say something like "no two anime look alike" out of the 800 or so you've seen, and that isn't what I read them saying from their post.

I guess I didn't read your comment very thoroughly. I wasn't trying to say there were no styles, but that anime is not A style. It is many of them. Hence why I mentioned several different styles in my comment. I was pointing out that looking like "anime" is not a reasonable way to define something as anime, because there are so many various styles within the medium. Also, I never said no two anime look alike, and there being no "differentiators at all" was not my point, I simply said there is no style that runs through the majority of anime.
This is probably something I should get over, but I just really hate the idea that something can be anime just because it looks like someone's nebulous idea of what an anime is supposed to look like. Having seen a lot of anime, that strikes me as really arrogant and simplistic. I don't like devaluing the creativity of people who make such unique and amazing cartoons on a consistent basis. Anyway, whatever. We can agree that anime has a lot of styles, and I'm sorry for not giving your comment a more thorough read-through.

Edit: A little bit of a late edit in. I think I assumed you thought anime was one style because you took issue with my comment to begin with. I never said it wasn't several styles, just that it wasn't A style. The emphasis obviously being on the singular.

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
When I think about what the definition of "anime" is, I consider what I intend to use the word for. In most cases, I use it to describe a certain subset of shows/movies that I am interested in.

If I tell someone that I like "anime", then assuming the other person has an idea of what anime is, most likely what will come to mind is stuff like Sailor Moon, Naruto, Ghost In The Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc. I don't like all of the shows that are typically associated with the term "anime", but I like enough of them to comfortably say that I like "anime".

As for that borderline stuff that everyone is arguing about (Avatar, The Last Unicorn, RWBY, etc), I do like some of those too, but if necessary, I will single them out and say "I like The Last Unicorn" (or insert title of show/movie). I suppose I could say I like animation in general, that's as useful as saying "I like movies" or "I like songs".

My brother knows I like "anime", and he enjoys certain anime titles (mostly mecha) but I wouldn't call him an anime fan because he doesn't make a distinction between "anime" and all the other animated shows he watches. For my birthday he bought me "Angel Beats" on DVD, which was not on my radar/to-watch-list at all, and I had never mentioned that title to my brother or anyone else. And yet he figured that it would be an appropriate gift for his anime fan sister. He was right. I enjoyed the series and was glad he bought it for me.

Language is about conveying ideas to others. So are we arguing over the definition of anime just to be pedantic? Or are we actually trying to clarify what we mean when we use the word "anime"? Even though it's not black and white, I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum knows what you are referring to when you talk about anime.

Thankfully, my day-to-day anime-related conversations rarely involve having to definitively judge whether individual titles are or are not definitively "anime".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I think at the end of the day it's kinda ridiculous to draw lines in the sand. You can't say it's based on art, because it can vary, and even what is the trend for animation in anime changes. Saying the staff has to be "pure-blooded Japanese" is well, ridiculous. Can you imagine anyone getting as uptight about french animation as some people do anime? "I only watch french animation, called frenchimation, and don't you dare call it cartoons. Oh wait, the director was actually Japanese, dropping this show." At the end of the day we all like what are essentially animated foreign films, sometimes in short form television programs, and sometimes motion pictures. Animation frees you of the limits of filming reality and allows you to abstract details, allowing for various new storytelling techniques. I mean I know a lot of people think "cartoon" is a dirty word, but I mean... why? Does it have to be anime because it sounds cooler and more socially acceptable, like when comic books were calling themselves "graphic novels?"

I just like good movies, and I tend to particularly enjoy Japanese animated films. Who cares about what you call it. I'll watch any movie about anything from anywhere if it's good. Yes, even if I have to call it a cartoon because it's from somewhere else.

As a fan of animation in general, regardless of country, I'd 100% agree with you, but there ARE a few people out there who are intensely loyal to a particular country's output that is neither the United States, Canada, nor Japan. I don't think there are that many for France who don't live in French, but I know they exist.

It's just as ridiculous. But anime does have that exoticism to it that draws people in that even European animation doesn't. Anime became famous in the 80's for showing violence and sexual content that wouldn't have been acceptable on western TV at the time, and companies during then played up the gritty ultraviolence that was quite popular among the youth of its time. That's a notion anime got first dibs on (even if said violence and sexual content was done in some other countries), and it hasn't really gone away since. Even now, among kids and teenagers, the word "anime" conjures up the idea of cartoons that are edgy and forbidden--that is, stuff people slightly older than them must be watching.

It does go the other way too. I see a bunch of hype backlash to anime, people who oppose it and will watch animation from any country except Japan. But I think that's more a case of Internet contrarianism than anything else.

DrXL wrote:
I've had this conversation with a lot of others in my anime club so I will admit personal bias, but I do feel that it qualifies as an anime even though it is a puppet show. I mean, when you consider medium in the mix, does CG count as anime? And if only hand drawn animation counts, then all shows past the mid-2000s no longer qualify. It's an interesting idea.

They're drawn on tablets and touch screen monitors now, but they are still drawn by hand.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Anime has to be PRIMARILY produced in Japan, PRIMARILY for a Japanese audience. I raised this issue about a year ago with Batman Gotham Knight. It should have a "U.S." tag on it since the executive directors, producers and are American. Toshi Hiruma is American, contrary to popular belief, albeit of Japanese roots. The only anime thing about it were the lip flaps and those were done in English before it was done in Japanese.

If anime was made by Japanese people--written, directed, its animation supervised, and edited in Japan--but has non-Japanese audiences in mind, does that mean it isn't anime to you? The example I'd pick, which was put in this list, is The Big O Season 2. It flopped in Japan, but the only American input was funding. Due to that, it was shown first in the United States and created with American viewers in mind.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Conversely, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt I view as non-anime as the art style I believe obviously borrows from American animated shows like Kim Possible and Jimmy Neutron, a feature not lost on several commentators.

The art style for Panty & Stocking has its primary influences in The Powerpuff Girls and the works of Jhonen Vasquez. Well, those are its closest artistic matches I can think of. Kim Possible has a decidedly less thick-line style and more realistic proprotions, and Jimmy Neutron is 3-D CGI.

Animation-wise though, it is decidedly anime in approach, with framerate being a low priority, quick, snappy movement, and little concern for lip flaps, whereas western animation highly values smoothness and accurate lip flaps. But the heart's in the right place.

CorneredAngel wrote:
In my mind, 'anime' is basically an appellation/geographical indication, like Champagne or all the ones that go with whisky. Yes, you can have American Champagne-style wine, and Japanese styles of alcoholic beverages that are very similar to or inspired by whisky. But those are not Champagne, and not Whisky.

Regarding food and drink, that is an equally complicated and controversial matter. The United States, for instance, allows a product to be called something made outside of its region, and as a result, people in the United States don't really take place-based naming privileges seriously. They'll call anything that tastes much like Neufchatel cheese as "Neufchatel cheese" regardless of where it's made.

Sushi is another example. I've met purists who insist sushi must be made using traditional ingredients, some who say local substitutes are acceptable if Japanese ingredients are difficult to obtain or too expensive, and some who say anything with sushi rice in it is sushi. (I fall into the last--most of my favorite sushi uses nontraditional ingredients.)

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I for one don't subscribe to calling something "anime" to be cool or indicate something is cool, being half-way to an otaku (whatever that is...) I care not for social acceptance. Anime as a style is vastly different than the art styles of American animations like Disney or Hanna-Barbera, which people of earlier generations called "cartoons", so I wouldn't use the terms interchangeably.

The thing is that anime can have just as large a variety of styles, which can overlap with western animation. Heck, Osamu Tezuka's style was heavily influenced by Disney.

relyat08 wrote:
What makes something anime is somewhat subjective these days, I guess. I know anime when I see it, and it's really hard to put into words exactly what it is that makes something anime. Being made entirely in Japan isn't a necessity, as many anime have a lot of outsourcing, being directed by a Japanese person isn't a necessity, because some anime have foreign direction, being made for Japanese people is definitely not essential, and finally, and most importantly ANIME IS NOT A STYLE. People who say this seem to have a limited understanding of what anime is and looks like. Tekkon Kinkreet does not look anything like K-ON!, Kaiba does not look anything like Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate does not look anything like Mononoke, Panty and Stocking does not look anything like Asterisk War. For me, I think what it comes down to generally is whether or not it was primarily produced by a Japanese animation studio. Where they got the money, who the original creator is, and who they hired to actually make it, isn't as important. But hey, that's just my definition. Though the whole "anime style" thing is just objectively wrong.

This remains a stubbornly common misconception though. Any time I'm drawing something in public, odds are someone will come ask me if I can draw something "in anime style." I hear it so much that I created a canned response: "Which anime?"

This question filters people pretty well among people who ask this who are thinking of a specific series or movie (they will answer with a title, such as Naruto or Spirited Away) and people who think anime is a narrow range of stylers or even just one style (they won't say anything specific and become confused). If you show something to the latter far from the stereotypical look, like Doraemon or Ristorante Paradiso, they'll have a hard time believing it's anime. It's as if they think that people in Japan have some sort of rule of art design that they must follow, and otherwise it's blasphemous or something. (The latter will sometimes ask, "Can you draw anime?" Not "anime style." Just "anime." I already know the conversation will go down an annoying path the moment they say it.)

By the way, to an outsider, something like K-ON! and Princess Mononoke will look pretty similar to each other. You and I know anime well enough to instantly tell them apart. Part of the misconception that anime has a narrow range of styles is because most of the most popular ones have many design choices in common, such as small noses, realistic head-torso-leg proportions, pentagonal faces, skinny male characters, hair in any conceivable color, strange-looking clothes, tween-to-teenage protagonists, and the unmistakable anime eye.

It's a part of being into something at the very casual level, or not being into it at all. Someone who is into brass instruments can tell a trumpet, a piccolo trumpet, a cornet, and a bugle apart instantly and consider them vastly different. Someone who isn't will probably see all four instruments as exactly the same until they see them side by side. Same goes with anime. To someone who isn't into anime, Attack on Titan is indistinguishable from Akame ga Kill! and Fullmetal Alchemist. As a result, while they think their "anime style" is specific, it's actually pretty broad. (My personal style is undoubtedly western-influenced, but it has been mistaken for "anime style" before, which boggles my mind.)

(To my father, all racing games looked the same to him. To my art teacher in the 9th grade, all 2-D platformers looked the same to him.)

Woomy wrote:
Am I the only one thinking Avatar's animation style is more in the vein of older Disney animation than Japanese?

I'm a longtime avid anime consumer myself, and I never saw the "anime" style in Avatar's designs.

Here are my two cents: I initially associated Avatar: The Last Airbender with Totally Spies! In other words, I mistook it for French animation. (France's animation output as of late seems to be tremendously anime-influenced, while putting their own spin on it.)

Jose Cruz wrote:
Anime is a weird thing actually. For other media, for instance, videogames or live action films, people don't care if it's Japanese or not (nobody cares that Metal Gear Solid 5 is Japanese while The Witcher 3 is Polish, or that Kurosawa's movies are Japanese while Kubrick's movies are American) but in animation, people really do care if it's Japanese or not.

There is this weird thing I'm seeing where some gamers will dismiss and refuse to play a game because it looks too much like anime to them. This is particularly true with RPGs, though there ARE some distinct design choices in RPGs from Japan and RPGs from any other country (unless they were heavily Japan-influenced, like Citizens of Earth).

Like, they will gladly jump on board with Metal Gear Solid 5 as it has a distinctly western look, but they will not play Xenoblade Chronicles, because it looks similar to their concept of anime.

It might be some of that contrarian behavior I mentioned before though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

DrXL wrote:
I've had this conversation with a lot of others in my anime club so I will admit personal bias, but I do feel that it qualifies as an anime even though it is a puppet show. I mean, when you consider medium in the mix, does CG count as anime? And if only hand drawn animation counts, then all shows past the mid-2000s no longer qualify. It's an interesting idea.

They're drawn on tablets and touch screen monitors now, but they are still drawn by hand.

The majority of it is still drawn on paper and scanned into computers too. So it is very much still hand drawn(not that I think that has anything to do with the definition of anime). Webgen, or Digital animation, as drawing on tablets is sort of awkwardly called, is picking up a lot of ground, very quickly now, but there are specific things and levels of detail that still can't really be achieved using a tablet in Flash. Guys like Kiyotaka Oshiyama and Takashi Kojima, who are heading up Flip Flappers this season are both analog guys, and most of the digital work on Mob Psycho was relegated to one episode. Only a few shows so far have actually been mostly digital, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta and Birdy The Mighty: Decode are the the big ones. I think Ping Pong the Animation might have also been. I know they used Flash for quite a few cuts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Are they colored digitally though? Anime nowadays has that really clean look that only digital animation could do.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Are they colored digitally though? Anime nowadays has that really clean look that only digital animation could do.

Yeah, that's true. Pretty much everything is colored, composited, etc. digitally after the animation has been scanned into a computer. If you ever have the time, this is one of my favorite references on Animation Production.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I really like this list. I've said this many times. I have a great deal of respect for both Japanese and American animators and I'm always happy to see them collaborate with each other. It's sad to me that this doesn't happen more often like what happened during the 1980's. One of the most anime-like shows of that time was "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers." It looked like a lot of space anime that was around at the time. Many of the character designs and the overall look of the show screamed anime even though it was little-known at that time.
On a personal note,one of my ideas for a novel is about a Japanese animation company that does work with an American animation company during the 1980's. The people who worked at the Japanese animation company are very proud of their association with the American company and would hope to work with them again. I'd also wonder about something. Are there any French animators working for American companies? I'd love to know that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7