• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
you do know goku body can't be stole right.

Uh, that is exactly what Zamasu did. He stole Goku's body using the dragon balls. I'm not really sure how you missed that as it was pointed out specifically again last episode so even if you just started watching last week, you should know that.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Like many fans my age, DBZ was one of my first anime. I've seen much of Z but only a few bits and pieces of GT. Is Super a possible reentry point into the franchise and is it even worthwhile? I am aware that at least in the beginning the animation is a bit...Toei to put it most diplomatically.

I can vouch for this current Future Trunks arc, at the very least. With only a few grievances, I'd say this does feel pretty close to an authentic DBZ continuation (warts and all, which I'm frankly embracing as part of the charm at this point).
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Much like the criticisms of Super's quality is overstated by the fans?

Along with people needlessly being contrarian whenever someone states their opinionated like of the series in spite of it's flaws.

I actually do sort of agree with you on that first line with regards to at least the animation at least. I'd say it's gotten a lot better since Goku vs Hit as far as action goes. And generally speaking the fights in this arc are easily the most consistent for Super thus far. The series also has some pretty OK humour as well.

Also pointing out flaws in criticism is fine. Flinging vitriol at someone for having said criticism at all is just lame.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
I'd say GT is far, far superior to Super, in every single aspect (except... length?). Story-wise it's absolutely sublime,

Well yeah if you can ignore the fact it's essentially a retread of the original DragonBall's story that feels much more unnecessary than Super.

chronos02 wrote:
since it ties lots of loose ends

....DragonBall/Z didn't end with any loose ends though. Especially ones that needed to be tied up with anything.

chronos02 wrote:
story that actually makes a lot of sense,

Goku gets turned into a kid with the DragonBalls by a trio of people he hasn't seen in about 30 years. An act that leads to the earth being endangered and forcing him, Trunks, and originally Goten into going into to space to find a newer set of DragonBalls that didn't exist in the original canon before the earth explodes......spoiler[which it does at the end of the first arc anyway.]

The other 2 arcs that follow make little sense.

chronos02 wrote:
it also introduces elements only seen in some OVAs and Movies up to that point.

Which aren't canon.

chronos02 wrote:
First and foremost, they NEVER foreshadow ANTHING at all,

I don't understand this complaint as both the 1st and 2nd series rarely did this at all....not to mention the fact they do foreshadow things.....you know like Goku and Vegeta fusing to take the fight to Black? the upcoming Tournament?

chronos02 wrote:
they NEVER explain nothing about new character getting introduced,

....Why would they need to do this when the first series rarely did it and Z only did it within the actual show with Vegeta (to some extent), Cell, and Buu?

chronos02 wrote:
As for character development... there's like none,

....You make it seem as if DragonBall and Z developed every character that came along and didn't subsequently see them become less relevant or outright disappear in later parts of the series.

Anyone remember Lunch?

chronos02 wrote:
all the characters are mature enough in the series by Z's end,

....All except the ones that Toriyama didn't sweep under the rug by the end of the series.

Which would be anyone not named Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillen & Vegeta

chronos02 wrote:
though it does seem like some characters turn dumber in Super, such as Gohan, Gotten and Trunks. Piccolo is reduced to a comedic relief only character,

Making Piccolo Pan's surrogate grandfather or having him picking lettuce with Goku isn't making him a comedic relief character you also seem to forget what Piccolo was forced to doing in the Buu arc at times and within one infamous filler episode in Z.

chronos02 wrote:
Krillin doesn't die...

spoiler[
Why is him dying important when canonically he's already died 4 different times? 5 if you include GT which isn't canon anymore and 6 if you include Future Trunk's timeline.
]

chronos02 wrote:
and they use certain things as instant nostalgia factors, to immeditaley discard them.

There's a reason Goku can't use Kaioken while using his new form. And realistically a reason for why the Mafuuba isn't going to be used against black.

chronos02 wrote:
Now, as for the animation department... it's bad, really, really bad, at least during the first 40 episodes, then there's an increase in quality (probably due fan protests),

Doubtful considering Toei has a rather infamous track record with /quality which includes Z and the original Sailor Moon series

chronos02 wrote:
but ti doesn't reach the levels of any previous instalment.

GT didn't do this. But that's not why it was awful.

chronos02 wrote:

My personal quality scale for the Dragon Ball universe is as follows, with my personal score between parentheses: Dragon Ball (10) > Dragon Ball Movies (10) > Dragon Ball Z Movies & OVAs (9.5) > Dragon Ball Z (8.5) > Dragon Ball GT (8) > Dragon Ball Super (5).

I don't really understand why you list the movies considering they all vary in quality and also aren't canon. Whereas GT is considered sub-par by most of the fanbase and isn't canon either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

Also pointing out flaws in criticism is fine. Flinging vitriol at someone for having said criticism at all is just lame.

True except I didn't fling vitriol at you though especially since I have no reason to.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
you do know goku body can't be stole right.

thanks, you msde me reslize that having gynyu back was foreshadowing.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
gedata wrote:

True except I didn't fling vitriol at you though especially since I have no reason to.

I thought you were being somewhat passive aggressive, but if what you said about contrarian was not directed at me then cool. Sorry bout that.

Last edited by gedata on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I don't have the enthusiasm that Sam does for Super. I was into the Trunks arc at first but now I just want Black and Zematsu to go away. It feels like something happened this week at least, otherwise it feels like rinse and repeat a lot of times. Even at times feeling like fan-fiction rather than an actual continuation.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super was a mistake.

It took Tenshinhan, a genius martial artist a few days to master the Mafuba.

And a scrub like Trunks does it in mere minutes.

Didn't even bother to bring Piccolo with them whom mastered it better than anyone else ever did.

Get that crap outta here.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This just means Piccolo is a really great teacher, even on YouTube. I will subscribe to his channel. Hope Trunks had the decency to Like his video at the very least.
AshLancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
"I can now honestly say that my fear was misguided. Dragon Ball Super is awesome."

Yeah. An awesome piece of
L
A
Z
Y

Lowest possible rating score given.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
CR doesn't have the older episodes of SUPER?

They announced that they would upload the current arc first, then go through the backlog ten episodes a week until they have it all up. So at the moment, you can watch episodes 1 through 10, and 47 through 64 on CR. By the end of the month the entire show will be up.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
story that actually makes a lot of sense,

Goku gets turned into a kid with the DragonBalls by a trio of people he hasn't seen in about 30 years. An act that leads to the earth being endangered and forcing him, Trunks, and originally Goten into going into to space to find a newer set of DragonBalls that didn't exist in the original canon before the earth explodes......spoiler[which it does at the end of the first arc anyway.]

The other 2 arcs that follow make little sense.

Not to mention the fact that this is done by a separate set of Dragon Balls never before brought up which the God of Earth apparently made before separating into Piccolo and God yet Demon King Piccolo had never heard of the Dragon Balls before Pilaf told him about them, and these Dragon Balls don't just scatter across the planet after granting a wish, but across the entire universe, where one now has to find them in a single year or else the planet would explode.

There are so many glaring flaws with that premise that I have a hard time even figuring out where to begin. But to start with... WHY WOULD THE GOD OF EARTH MAKE SOMETHING SO MONUMENTALLY STUPID.

Oh, and then the show goes on to show Goku, Trunks and Pan on various "thrilling" adventures facing such formidable foes as... footsoldiers with guns, or... a guy who can make earthquakes. These are the same people who could stand up to and defeat monsters who could effortlessly destroy entire planets, and now you're telling me completely random footsoldiers are a threat to them?!

The short version being, the Black Star Dragon Balls arc is bad. Preposterously bad. I may have also hated the first arc in Super for being an utterly sub-par remake of the Battle of Gods movie that was worse on pretty much every conceivable level, but even that doesn't compare to how mind-bogglingly awful the Black Star Dragon Balls arc is. I mean, I've owned GT on DVD in its entirety for three years now... and I still haven't been able to get past it because of just how terrible that first arc is. (And the concepts of the later arcs coupled with GT's general reputation hardly makes me eager to keep going either.)
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
I came back to this anime because Crunchyroll's got it now, and still I'm not that thrilled for it. I mostly feel it like the Buu arc, and man I hate a lot of the Buu arc.

Everybody has a power-up there that ends up meaning nothing because Goku wins using a technique he already knew except bigger. Technically, the Mafuba is an already known technique but it's a less expected idea and it does have a different feeling to a beam or a ball that just blows things up. And Piccolo's training was hilarious.

But here, I feel like nobody owns their power, and that the hand of basic writing is always seen except, mostly, in some character moments. I basically never feel surprised by it except of being hyped for callbacks (like Trunks using the Galick Gun or Vegetto) that I'm hyped to see but nope, not really interested in it being "new", except maybe for Zamasu, perhaps it's Kojiro's voice but he feels okay for a villain, Black, while being the same person, looks far edgier.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Currently the Black arc has overtaken every Z arc for me. As for OG DB remains to be seen depends on the conclusion.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
CAN THE REVIEWER OR ANYONE MAKE REVIEWS OR ARTICLES ABOUT DRAGONBALL GT PLEASE? I THINK IT NEEDS TO BE COVERED.

PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
PLEASE ANN
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 40