• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SushiLord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think of it, Jiren's backstory reminds me of younger Toguro's backstory in YuYu Hakusho.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
Ep 128,

Honestly, Jiren just pisses me off at this point. He could have ended this tournament so many times and just keeps on dragging it out. Vegeta and Goku are both pretty much empty on power and he still spends most of the episode smacking them around while telling them how weak they are. He could have just picked them up and thrown them out but of course he drags it out so that Goku can make a come back. The only reason Universe 7 is going to win is because Jiren is gigantic idiot who never takes any of the hundreds of opportunities to quickly finish the tournament. It's a tortoise vs hare story, where the hare reaches the finish line and goes to sleep while the tortoise slowly crawls across the finish line.

Then there's Goku, who was so weak he couldn't even transform or put up a fight anymore, is suddenly radiating enough power at the end to shake the stage. I get that ultra instinct puts him in the zone mentally, but that shouldn't change the fact that he should have zero actual power or physical strength left. But whatever, at least we're finally at the final fight, and hopefully Toei saved a large chunk of the budget for the final confrontation.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
Ep 128

I guess we are taking the cliche route to the end of DB Super.

Vegeta was eliminated and Goku achieved ultra instinct again. It should not take 20 minutes to show that on screen, especially when the tournament only had 4 minutes remaining 2 episodes ago.

Jiren is annoying. He seems to have infinite power and stamina and there's no explanation for why he would be so unreasonably powerful. Instead of just ending the tournament by quickly eliminating opponents who he vastly overpowers, he plays around with them and teases them. Why even have a time limit if the fighters aren't going to battle like time is urgent?

Goku, has been drained of stamina for about 5-6 episodes, but for some reason he is able to achieve UI and effortlessly attack Jiren. The swing in power makes no sense considering where both fighters stood just last episode. Goku's power has grown immensely and is now stronger than Jiren because...plot convenience? Is that all?

Gah, these writers. So much potential has been squandered during this tournament.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
128:

An A rating? yeah right. Next to nothing happened this week. The use of repetitive animation loops and empty dialogue just masked the lack of meaningful content.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, I had that silly grin on my face again while watching this episode. I really enjoyed that. I really love Vegeta as a character and this episode just cemented that further.

I also like the portrayal of what it is that finally lets Goku break through this last shell in himself; zeal for fighting has been utterly exhausted, and all that's left is the faith placed in him by his friends. It has a nice look to it, for me; settling into an almost serene state that flows smoothly into Ultra Instinct.

Ultra-Instinct is unconscious action. It doesn't respond to what you want to do, but what you need to do. That's not something that Goku could achieve naturally without being put into a situation where that is the only way he can operate. It's why it's only been arriving at times when Goku is most desperate: he's not just fighting for the sake of fighting, and he's the last one left who can win, the one everyone else is counting on, so it's not about him any more.

And that kind of plays with the two (sometimes conflicting) sides we see of Goku. On the one side, he's a good-natured buffoon who enjoys fighting strong opponents and overcoming his limits. On the other, he's a hero who strives to protect people. At his best, when the two sides align, he can overcome impossible odds and turn sworn enemies into trusted allies. Ultra Instinct could be seen as an expression of that.

gedata wrote:
128:

An A rating? yeah right. Next to nothing happened this week. The use of repetitive animation loops and empty dialogue just masked the lack of meaningful content.

People are allowed to have completely different views on things, Mr. "I wrote an article on why Super is worse than GT for My Anime List".
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

People are allowed to have completely different views on things, Mr. "I wrote an article on why Super is worse than GT for My Anime List".

Hey man I didn't say he couldn't.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now that raises the usual question about how the Super Dragon Balls, the prize for the winning universe, are going to factor in by the end. I feel confident that Universe 7 will win and wish all the deleted universes back into existence, but would that wish count for 17? The only reason I'm concerned is that I think 17 is one of the few characters who wasn't seen in the epilogue of DBZ, so Super is under no obligation to make sure he survives the series. I could be wrong, but it's a possibility I'm entertaining.

i'm afraid not. its more than certain that 17 will remain dead. if the bring him back to life, and he shows up when uub makes his appearance, it will more than likely make the epilogue of DBZ non canon.

HELL, its pretty much non canon already considering gouku have the super sayian god powers as well as ultra instinct. not to mention the whole romance involving trunks and mai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I still bet on the ending being, Goku and friends win, Goku makes up a wish and wakes up as nothing ever happened during Super, The END. Setting up for Uub
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Although I generally agree with the review that Vegeta doesn’t have to win to be a great character (although I am still thrilled with his win against Toppo)

Quote:
But a teary-eyed Vegeta humbled by defeat?

See I don’t think Vegeta was crying simply because he was defeated. Vegeta is defeated plenty of times & doesn’t cry. This was really only the second time Vegeta has cried in DB (not counting the films). The first was when he died on Namek. Obviously he was crying because he failed in everything he set out to do: Becoming a Super Saiyajin and getting his revenge on Freeza. The only thing he had left was for another Saiyajin to do it for him. This was the first time Vegeta really showed emotion but those were selfish tears.

Vegeta’s tears appear right after he says sorry to Bulma and Cabba. He isn’t crying because he didn’t win. He’s crying because he feels he failed others & couldn’t keep a promise. That to me is what is significant about those tears. That he is not thinking about himself losing. He is thinking about others.

He doesn’t really need to be humbled by defeat at this point in the story . Yeah I know Vegeta can still act arrogantly but a lot of that’s a front. His pride is often what gives him strength but pride can only carry you so far. In the same way where Vegeta’s promise and love for his family pushed him this far it it’s not always enough against overwhelming strength. A lot of people didn’t like that Vegeta could beat Toppo but my whole point before was with the training Vegeta did he wasn’t so ridiculously far behind Toppo, he just needed an extra boost of motivation which thinking of his family & Cabba gave him. . The difference with Jiren is just pride & motivation is not going to be enough because Jiren was so above Vegeta and he was only fighting in his base form. There was no way he could realistically win. But Vegeta just isn’t a character to not give it his all even when he can’t win. That’s what his pride is.

Edit: As for only 2 left in the ring well I think it’s obvious Freeza is still out there and still has a role to play.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
I still bet on the ending being, Goku and friends win, Goku makes up a wish and wakes up as nothing ever happened during Super, The END. Setting up for Uub

while it would please those that follow the DB manga to ensure that the uub encounter will be 100% faithful, that there would seriously piss off a majority of the super fanbase, especially those that despises the GT arc if they go that route.

i for one liked the GT arc & consider it to technically be canon, and luckily for that arc, the author haven't flat out said that its 100% filler even though it technically is when DB super was announced along with the battle of gods movie. while going that route is the more logical sense, its highly unlikely. its more likely that gouku and vegetta will lose the ability to use SSG and ultra instinct once this arc is over.

unfortunately the last chapter of DB which includes the uub encounter have technically became filler due to multiple factors. one of which is the blossoming romance between trunks and mai which was definitely not mention in the original manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

while it would please those that follow the DB manga to ensure that the uub encounter will be 100% faithful, that there would seriously piss off a majority of the super fanbase, especially those that despises the GT arc if they go that route.

I said that cause I believe they'll piss of Super fans, royally at that.
jr240483 wrote:

unfortunately the last chapter of DB which includes the uub encounter have technically became filler due to multiple factors. one of which is the blossoming romance between trunks and mai which was definitely not mention in the original manga.

There's no way they can decide that a chapter of manga is filler just cause they want it to be, if that was the case every author would simply say that every bad arc in their work are filler... It has been drawn as canon so it can no longer stop being canon, think about the people who bought the manga.
The blossoming romance between Trunks and Mai is irrelevant, cause it's between future Trunks and future Mai entirely different characters from the present counterparts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
Ep 129,

Ok, will start off saying that this weeks episode's animation was on point, and the overall fight was pretty damn good.

That said, I'm now really disappointed with how ultra instinct ended up, it's basically just another power up now. When it first showed up it was about him having supernatural reaction and reflexes as his senses and instinct are heightened so even with no power he was able avoid and counter enemy attacks. But in this fight he straight up catches Jiren's final attack and snuffs it out, you can't explain shit like that by saying "his instincts are really good" that's just him moving up another power level and being faster and stronger than Jiren, which is what every other power up in the series has been. And where the hell did he get all of this power anyway? He couldn't even stand up straight before he went ultra instinct and now he's completely overpowering Jiren. Mind over matter only should only go so far.

Anyway, aside from that, looking forward to seeing the next episode, although I think it's skipping a week again Sad
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 129,
Anyway, aside from that, looking forward to seeing the next episode, although I think it's skipping a week again Sad

Yup, it's scheduled to 18 and the last one airing is in 25... so two more eps.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
From the beginning, Goku's form was always another power-up, one that he attained by exceeding his limits and going deeper into his true fighting potential, implying a great boost in all areas. Gaining access to Ultra Instinct is part of the overall package. Now Goku's mastered that form and gone to even greater heights.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ep 129

What is going on!? This is all so lame

Goku and Jiren have been fighting for several episodes now, and both of them have become less inspiring as the tournament continues. Jiren was first seen as the stoic and strong fighter in charge of the team of justice, but has now become the fighter only concerned about being the strongest. Goku used to be the hero who loved the challenge of a battle, but still put his friends first. Now, we are at a point where both of them only care about fighting and the fate of the universe is on the periphery.

This tournament was advertised as a battle of urgency for the fate of multiple universes, but the focus has become so much about Jiren and Goku that the universes have become completely forgotten. What seemed like 2 minutes remaining has turned into 20 minutes and 40 minutes. Each time a fighter powered up to turn the tables in the battle (Toppo, Frieza, Jiren, Goku), they still ended up playing around with their opponents as if time did not matter. The urgency is completely lost to me.

Vegeta commented that saiyans in the tournament have consistently surpassed their limits in order to meet a challenge. While that is true, it does not seem earned to me. Goku's sudden mastery of ultra instinct comes after Goku could barely walk in order to fight Jiren. And now, the tide of the battle has swung so much that Jiren can't even sense Goku's movements. Ultra instict is described by the gods as a mastery of one's senses and reactions, but for Goku it is just another transformation. Goku could have used his mastery of ultra instinct to quickly end the battle and meet the challenge, but he did not. The excitement of Goku's transformation is completely squandered to me. What was initially exciting has already turned into a hackneyed trope (similar to Goku's SSJ1 transformation to fight Frieza). I was also hoping that Frieza had some unique role to play at the end of the battle, but I don't really care what Frieza does now.

Goku has also become somewhat of a Mary Sue. His strength and abilities are boosted at times when it is convenient to make him a model figure to the audience, but his strength doesn't follow from efforts to earn it.

There are so many better ways that this tournament cold have played out, but it seems like the writers and directors had no intention of being consistent or interesting as they ended the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 40