• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that, in the next two episodes, the other shoe is going to drop. Ultra Instinct, it's not just a powerup. Beerus is angry that Goku's attained that power, and Whis is both proud and somewhat melancholy. I get the impression that power at that scale simply isn't meant to exist, period. At this point I'm leaning toward Goku winning the tournament but no longer being able to exist in the mortal realm -- or, perhaps, at all. It's possible he'll be unmade altogether.

(Yes, I know that the end of Dragon Ball Z with Uub is still canon and needs to happen but it's also going to need some amount of retconning as well no matter what so why not have Goku maybe cease to exist for a brief time?)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this episode's grandeur, but as far as palpable fighting exchanges, there wasn't enough. The sparkly, shiny light show is great, love these effects, but when everything is just a flurry of punches and beams, it takes away from the secondhand tactile nature. I'd like to see more hard hits as these two gladiators reach exhaustion. I want a knockdown, drag out, down-and-dirty, bonecrunching fight. I love me some ki attacks, but when you make the fight all about ki attacks and new forms, it becomes predictable.

Still, great use of effects, music, and atmosphere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I enjoyed this episode's grandeur, but as far as palpable fighting exchanges, there wasn't enough. The sparkly, shiny light show is great, love these effects, but when everything is just a flurry of punches and beams, it takes away from the secondhand tactile nature. I'd like to see more hard hits as these two gladiators reach exhaustion. I want a knockdown, drag out, down-and-dirty, bonecrunching fight. I love me some ki attacks, but when you make the fight all about ki attacks and new forms, it becomes predictable.

Um, next episode seems to be just that judging by the preview. Do you not watch it?
songoku71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
the most hated character in the DB series cannot possibly be given the honor of finishing and winning the tournament of power. after U7 have worked the butt off to win the tourn ament evil freezza cannot win the tournament. you cannot do this to DB Supper fans worldwide. doing this is like giving your guess a pile of poop after a superbly delicious meal.

we're already suffering enough by watching the end of DB Super to top up off with a cra pot end like that. I sincerely hope thats not the case. I even hope that alll the confirmed rummors aren't thrue and that the series ending in ep131 is just a marketing strategy to get DBS fans more hooked up than we already are, after all, the best season of DB franchise to day cannot possibly end so quickly that would be a major managerial error on behalf of the franchise. need ideas ask us, who better to give up all sorts of ideas for new episodes than your faithfully fans?

until we comunicate again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
Ep 130,

Well, everyone knew Frieza would make an appearance somehow, but I was not expecting 19 to show up as well. It's weird but come to think of it, most of universe 7 were ringed out due to self sacrifice acts but none of them actually died even though I thought at least one might (Master roshi, vegeta, 19). Anyway, I agreed with Jiren asking "where the hell does goku get all of this stamina" but at least there is a consequence to using ultra instinct so it's not just a risk free power up.

Was it just me or did it sound a bit strange to say that Goku was winning because he believed in his friends? Goku values his friends but in the past it always seemed to me that he got stronger because he wanted to break his own boundaries and overcome obstacles (and opponents), not for the sake of friendship, but just because of his personal desire to become stronger. It just felt a bit cheesy since "Nakama power" or friendship power has been used in so many other series it's basically a meme at this point. Especially considering Goku was the one who basically wanted to have this tournament in the first place just so he could fight strong people (without worrying about the consequences, like the destruction of his universe). Hell, if friendship power was all that was needed to make someone super strong some of the other universes should have won like universe 2 whose whole theme was fighting for love and having their universe's support, even when they lost.

Anyway, looks like next episode concludes the final match. Now the big question is whether or not all the other universes get wished back or not.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
ep 130,

They are really dragging this fight out?

I got a nice chuckle out of the moment when Belmond yelled at Jiren to "hurry up". As if the time limit for the tournament still meant anything.

I am disappointed at how the tournament has progressed. Goku and Jiren keep attaining more power out of nowhere and the writers made it worse by claiming Goku's strength is greater because he has "nakama".

There was no suspense. No connectivity between action. My screen was filled with special effects that I felt uninvested in. The animation looked really cool, but I think that it was wasted on a lackluster battler.

Frieza and No 17 appearing again after Goku lost his stamina was more annoying than it was exciting. I don't understand why the writers want to drag the battle out even more. I would have liked the ending better if Goku and Jiren fainted from exhaustion and Frieza reappeared to claim victory for his universe.

Im not excited to see how the battle ends, but I've made it this far so I might as well keep going.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
What an amazing episode.

The animation was fantastic and breath-taking, the storyboard and the direction too... words just can't express how happy I feel about this episode.

130 has everything I love about Dragon Ball. Good dialogues, an awesome 1v1 battle (featuring a shirtless Goku!), great Ki blasts and plot twists. I liked when Krillin told how Goku brought them all together, that scene was really well directed and it is exactly the type of nostalgia I absolutely love - it was very fitting for that specific moment, and Toppo, the guy who called Goku evil, was there to listen while his sworn-friend was there in the ring acting like the villain of the situation. It was also the first time the characters acknowledged just how important Goku is for the bunch of them, and how him too wouldn't have gone that far without his friends: this wasn't cliche friendship, because the friendship part was always there in Dragon Ball.

Another incredibly well-directed moment was when Goku lost UI: did he actually bleed? It was definitely nexpected and Jiren's farewell dialogue was also really well-written. Goku won the battle, he had Jiren at his feet and I'm happy about it. Now fans won't complain UI Goku "jobbed". Sure, he didn't ring out Jiren but as Beerus said, it's undeniable that the battle was won by Goku.

Jiren himself was finally well-written in this episode. His inner contrast really expanded upon his character, and the moment he tried to kill Goku's friends really showed how conflicted Jiren really is. I must say that after this episode I like his character, and we still don't even know what his wish is!

And in a final twist, the MVP is back! I'm so happy to see 17 is still alive. He is my favorite character of this arc so it's nice to see the final battle will feature the 3 of them working together to win the ToP.

I was sure that, in the end, this tournament would have culminated into a very good finale. This is among the best arcs of Dragon Ball, for me, and I can't wait to see how the whole tournament will wrap up. Will 17 get his boat trip? Will the universes get brought back?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
I know, opinions, but to anyone who disliked this episode: WHAT? This is the DBZ I remember. Epic, pulse-punding - and well animated to boot. Dang, I don't say this for Super often, but this fight is easily top 10 worthy.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 130,

Well, everyone knew Frieza would make an appearance somehow, but I was not expecting 19 to show up as well. It's weird but come to think of it, most of universe 7 were ringed out due to self sacrifice acts but none of them actually died even though I thought at least one might (Master roshi, vegeta, 19). Anyway, I agreed with Jiren asking "where the hell does goku get all of this stamina" but at least there is a consequence to using ultra instinct so it's not just a risk free power up.

Was it just me or did it sound a bit strange to say that Goku was winning because he believed in his friends? Goku values his friends but in the past it always seemed to me that he got stronger because he wanted to break his own boundaries and overcome obstacles (and opponents), not for the sake of friendship, but just because of his personal desire to become stronger. It just felt a bit cheesy since "Nakama power" or friendship power has been used in so many other series it's basically a meme at this point. Especially considering Goku was the one who basically wanted to have this tournament in the first place just so he could fight strong people (without worrying about the consequences, like the destruction of his universe). Hell, if friendship power was all that was needed to make someone super strong some of the other universes should have won like universe 2 whose whole theme was fighting for love and having their universe's support, even when they lost.

Anyway, looks like next episode concludes the final match. Now the big question is whether or not all the other universes get wished back or not.

What anime are you watching? It is Android 17, not Android 19. 19 hasn’t been in the show for a single second of this franchise.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Series Conclusion, first half epic fight, second half as expected but they played in to it by having them expecting it as well. At least two characters got their wishes though, Frieza was resurrected and Android 17 got a massive cruise ship to go around the world with his family in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
pretty happy how it ended, as I did want it to be a team victory and now just be all about Goku. Few minor cheese moments like Frieza waiting for Jiren to get his motivational speech and power up again instead of just finishing him off (when will you learn, Frieza). But all in all it was pretty satisfying. Wonder if they'll be doing anymore stand alone movies or anything after this.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly that episode (and probably this arc as a whole) made me feel like I was a kid again, watching DBZ on Toonami. But it also appealed to my adult self, especially in terms of the animation (more the previous episode and some of the ones before that than the last one). If it were not for March Comes in like a Lion, I would probably have voted for DBS for best continuing series. I would gladly recommend this arc at the very least to anyone who liked Dragon Ball when they were younger.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ep 131

I was expecting someone to wish all the universes back into existence, but I was hoping that there would be a twist to the effect of bringing all the people eliminated from those universes and putting them into universe 7. This way, it would be easier for the characters to meet again.

Oh well. I didn't like the way the tournament went, but I would probably regret it if I didn't go along for the ride.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Episode #131 is written by Tomioka Atsuhiro and storyboarded and directed by Ishitani Megumi in her official debut in both roles. Ishitani was someone sakuga fans have been following since her university days. Up through this arc she has been an assistant episode director on nearly every episode so it is very nice to see her skip over the usual practice of being her episode director debut directing someone else's storyboard and just up and directing her own. Ishitani seems to be following in the footsteps of Matsumoto Rie and Kamatani Haruka as one of Toei Animation's incredibly talented young directors. I truly hope she returns for the next Dragon Ball series in a major role. Her framing of the layouts is monumentally good and I think we could definitely have another Kamatani on our hands. Give Kamatani a good animation supervisor for her next episode and she might just be able to pull off what Kamatani did with Watanabe Koudai, Oonishi Ryou, Hayama Jun'ichi and Kagawa Hisashi during Tiger Mask W.

Tomioka Atsuhiro is mostly known for being the head writer of Samurai 7 and Pocket Monster: Diamond & Pearl, Best Wishes and XY, but when he joined Dragon Ball Super during the Future Trunks arc he basically became the series' unofficial head writer, tackling not only the scripting of important episodes but also of multiple consecutive episodes. Tomioka wrote Episodes #47-51, #55, #58, #60-61, #65-67, #75-81, #85, #92, #97, #102, #110-111, #116, #122-123, #129 and #131.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 131 was probably the most satisfying conclusion to any Dragon Ball series I've ever seen. spoiler[The epic animation, Goku and Freeza's team-up, 17 being the ultimate winner of the tournament, Zeno's true intentions, the final scene of Goku fighting Vegeta--I just can't get enough of it!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 40