• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Woohee episode 90, sex on a stick.

I loved the contrast between Goku deciding brain over brawns, Gohan will lead the team while meanwhile in the other universe they've gone the opposite route and selecting for muscles over brains.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Woohee episode 90, sex on a stick.

That is a strange way to describe an episode about father-son bonding. What doujins have you been reading? Razz
Am I the only one who saw "protein drinks" and immediately thought "steroidal cocktails"? Doesn't matter what they're drinking, they're screwed. Their kami is right to be worried.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
I thought episode 90 was great. It's satisfying payoff to Gohan's development starting with his two-parter combined with a bunch of fun (and even pretty good-looking) action. I take a few average episodes and a little bit of dragging over something that would feel rushed or artificial.

This is the point where I feel the tournnament could naturally start, though.

So yeah, DBS is good fun shounen. Been gradually improving quite a bit. I think 88 and 90 are my favorite episodes so far, even.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the transformation sequence for the magical girl was well done. Considering the other shows they have done recently, it can be easy to forget that Toei is responsible for Precure as well. I can only assume they got one of their animators with experience on Precure to do that sequence.

Generally I will agree that it is getting to be Waiting for the Tournament of Power.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The magical girls are the mirror universe of the Sentai characters right?
Laughing
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Getting a look at all the universes is the best thing about this arc and I'm glad they're doing it, hope it creates spin off material for years to come.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
The magical girl character has a lot of potential for fun. It's cool to see a glimpse of all the universes in general, but next week looks to be a lot more fun. Looking forward to the stuff with the mecha universe and U6.

I just still really like that there seems to be a clear structure to all of this and despite a few slower eps, again that they're taking their time. Rushed is much worse than little slow. There might be a few blander episodes, but it feels competent and even in a general sense.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think the transformation sequence for the magical girl was well done. Considering the other shows they have done recently, it can be easy to forget that Toei is responsible for Precure as well. I can only assume they got one of their animators with experience on Precure to do that sequence.

Generally I will agree that it is getting to be Waiting for the Tournament of Power.

Funnily enough, not really. The animator for that scene is Naoki Tate, he has worked on PreCure but I haven't seen noteworthy work of his on that franchise (he's more of a One Piece/DB animator), although I'm sure he drew inspiration from the PreCure henshin scenes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well at the very least the voice actress who plays the character (Rina Kitagawa) seems most known for their work on Precure. They were one of the main characters in Happiness Charge Precure, and that seems to have been their only main role so far.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
So, anyone want to put money on the odds that Roshi is "distracted" by Brianne, tries to start up with her, and she transforms into RiBrianne and hits him head on with her love canon? Alternatively, Roshi has a very traumatizing "date" with female!Broly? I'm down for either. If someone can beat the concept of basic respect for other people's personal space into Roshi, it's one of those two. Maybe they'll join up and beat him up together! Very Happy

In the meantime, I'm waiting for a drama bomb to drop when everyone Goku just recruited (besides 17) finds out that multiple universes' existences are at stake, and it's pretty much all Goku's fault. I mean, I'm pretty sure they'll all forgive him, but it'll be tense there for a while.

Humorous aside: Wonder if anyone will even suggest they recruit Yamcha in Buu's place?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
This gets stated in the series, but I'll state it again: Zen-Oh was *already* planning on deleting some Universes. If anything, Goku (unwittingly) has given some Universes that were slated for deletion a chance for survival. Yes, that chance was through the Tourney he proposed, but otherwise it would've been solely at Zen-Oh's whim, and likely without any warning, either.

But, yeah, they still won't be very pleased about that. OTOH, it's not like anyone can do anything about it. I'm sure they'll understand why they weren't told, though that doesn't mean they'll be very understanding about it. Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
This gets stated in the series, but I'll state it again: Zen-Oh was *already* planning on deleting some Universes. If anything, Goku (unwittingly) has given some Universes that were slated for deletion a chance for survival. Yes, that chance was through the Tourney he proposed, but otherwise it would've been solely at Zen-Oh's whim, and likely without any warning, either.

Technically, they said they were planning to get rid of a few universes no matter what. But they also said they were planning to host a tournament, and they completely forgot about it. The Zen-Ohs are forgetful and child-like, and they don't seem to understand the full impact of their actions. If Goku hadn't brought up the tournament idea, they probably never would have organized it...and they might forget about erasing universes, too, if no one reminds them to do it. Frankly, I think their angel advisor is the power behind the throne here, and he's the one telling the Zen-Ohs of the "necessity" of erasing universes, and cruelly pitting people in competition against each other to have a chance against being cast out of existence makes the situation worse, not better for most of the universes involved. If they would have been erased anyway, they could chalk it up to a cruel twist of fate. Having the fore knowledge that they can save themselves if they're strong enough sets all the losers up for a major, crushing guilt trip on top of it. Only Goku likes fighting enough not to be bothered by life-or-death (existence-or-erasure) stakes like that.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
ep 92,

So, a few cool things from this episode.

1. Caulifla isn't the female broly it looks like, it's her protege instead, so looks like that universe will actually have 3 super saiyens that it's bringing in.
2. Is Frieza actually going to be on the team? I doubt it because he doesn't show up in any of the intros but I would actually love it if he did join, simply because it would be one of the first unexpected things to happen to this series in a while, and I would love to see a team dynamic with Frieza, Vegeta and Goku all fighting on the same side. If they do a recruitment episode only for him to not show up that would be really disappointing.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally the writers sidelining Buu, again, was just bad writing. Just like in the tournament with Universe 6 it was a dumb contrived reason why Buu wasn't allowed to fight and now even after we got an episode where we see the work Buu has put into training he gets removed from the team, again. Saying that I am actually for Frieza being on team if only for the fact to have more non human, i.e. human looking, characters comprise the vast majority of the team. Hell I would love it if they revived Perfect Cell to join the team. Really if anyone should be off the team it is Roshi. Roshi in terms of comparable power levels he is barely a step above Yamcha and has no chance in this tournament. Krillin and Tien left him behind long ago and his inclusion is mainly for comic relief and maybe some ass pull to make him do something useful. Beyond the staples of Goku, Vegeta, and Picollo I loved other members like Gohan retraining, the return of Androids 17 & 18 to fight and one of my personal favorite DB characters Tien being involved in this arc. Now saying what I did about Roshi I actually prefer Roshi to the inclusion of either Trunks or Goten I can't stand either of those characters.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This is a good twist. I suspect the opening/endings may be revised accordingly.

This does indeed feel kind of like a follow up to his reappearance/redeath in the movie - whose anticlimax I kind of admire in a way, but at the same time I understand as being not entirely satisfying. I wonder if this means we may get a follow up to what happened with Future Trunks, since the resolution he had to settle for was sorta weird. Goku Black in general was perhaps set up for this whole "Is Goku, like, a problem, man?" thing going on now.

So similarly, I hope there's more with Majin Buu, who seems to constantly be on the cusp of doing something awesome before taking a nap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 40