• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised it took this long to suggest Frieza on the team, since he's long been displayed as one of the most powerful of the universe. Sure, he's a villain, but he should be down for working with the team PURELY out of self-interest. Heck, he even allows for a sub-plot about betrayal in exchange for escape to a different (goku/Vegeta-free) universe.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that when Frieza and Goku fought on Namek, Frieza basically *knowingly* attacked Goku out of pure spite and malice even after Goku gave him some of his own energy so that he could survive. It seems to me that when it comes to Goku, Frieza hatred is even greater than his own sense of personal survival, which makes him a very, very poor candidate for the team despite his great power.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
At least they had Vegeta break the hyperbolic time chamber so they couldn't put Buu inside to speed through the 2 month nap. (plot hole averted lol) I'm still unclear if Whis' staff had the same effect when Goku and Vegeta trained inside it.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
At least they had Vegeta break the hyperbolic time chamber so they couldn't put Buu inside to speed through the 2 month nap. (plot hole averted lol) I'm still unclear if Whis' staff had the same effect when Goku and Vegeta trained inside it.

Well even if the HTC wasn't destroyed by Vegeta it still wouldn't have awoken Buu in time for the tournament. A single day in our time is a year in the chamber. So two months in there would be about four hours out here. Since two months is a sixth of a year he would need four hours or a sixth of a day. So there was never really a plot hole over Buu being asleep.

P.S. still doesn't change the fact I feel it was stupid writing to again remove Buu from the tournament like they did with the Universe 6 tournament.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not fond of Califlau learning to become a Super Saiyan by concentrating ki on her back, like becoming a Super Saiyan is just some parlor trick easily arrived at. But I guess that boat sailed when Goten and Trunks become Super Saiyans before they stopped thinking girls had cooties. At least we have a female Super Saiyan finally. Shatter that glass ceiling, girl.

I also feel like Cell would probably be a better choice than Freeza to replace Buu, since Cell knows moves from various characters and the variety of techniques could be useful in catching people off guard. Not that I'm upset to see Freeza again, but it's enough already. I'm sure it'll be neat to see him in the tourney, but it's not like we don't already have a Freeza-like character entering. Buu would have been more dynamic as a fighter.

But otherwise, I do like the parts with Kuririn and 18 upset at Goku over his fib and Beerus finally putting his foot down and demanding they join up. The reaction when Goku recommends Freeza is priceless. It's good to see other characters calling Goku out on some of his harmful character quirks. I also think Goku is getting a bit more clever by getting Mr. Satan to admit he wouldn't be prepared to be in the competition without just coming out and saying it. Character interaction remains strong even when the plot gets a bit wonky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

But otherwise, I do like the parts with Kuririn and 18 upset at Goku over his fib and Beerus finally putting his foot down and demanding they join up.

There was never a reason to hide the fact over what the tournament really was. All of these fighters have been part of world ending events and just telling them what would happen if they lost. Luckily they finally nipped it in the bud because it felt like something you see in shitty romantic comedies where the main characters break up over the stupidest thing just so they get back together in the final 10 mins.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

But otherwise, I do like the parts with Kuririn and 18 upset at Goku over his fib and Beerus finally putting his foot down and demanding they join up.

There was never a reason to hide the fact over what the tournament really was. All of these fighters have been part of world ending events and just telling them what would happen if they lost. Luckily they finally nipped it in the bud because it felt like something you see in shitty romantic comedies where the main characters break up over the stupidest thing just so they get back together in the final 10 mins.

Goku just didn't want to worry his friends. Well, some of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Is everyone forgetting that they were specifically told not to tell people about the threat of universe erasure?
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Cell would prefer getting erased to helping out Goku and co. His potential as a character was finished as soon as he achieved his perfect form. Frieza on the other hand has always been a more compelling character. He actually has reasons to participate.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quoque tu wrote:
Cell would prefer getting erased to helping out Goku and co. His potential as a character was finished as soon as he achieved his perfect form. Frieza on the other hand has always been a more compelling character. He actually has reasons to participate.

however unless the manga says otherwise, its all speculation. besides, its not gonna happen. there is zero chance they would allow him to be on universe 7's team. if gouku wants someone from the outer world then he could always recruit the other fighters who are training in grand kai's world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
If I were a superheroine, I would be Kale.

Her power is maximum.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Kale is voiced by Yukana. I definitely feel she is channeling C.C. from Code Geass after her memories were sealed away.

The scene between Gokuu and Freeza was so cool. The staging and coloring were good, but the real winners were Nozawa and Nakao. They instantly felt like they were really into the scene, delivering their best work in years. I can't wait to see what Freeza is planning now.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Goku just didn't want to worry his friends. Well, some of them.

He's still an idiot for not telling them about it. Something this big shouldn't have been hidden. I swear Super sometimes goes out of ts way to make Goku dumber and dumber with each arc.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kale technically isn't a vegetable.

Alright, just thought I'd leave everyone with that.

Peace out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Kale technically isn't a vegetable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

Maybe I am seeing things, but I think kale is an attempt to do an anagram of "hulk".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 40