• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
In a battle that's about eliminating members of opposing teams, these characters sure are doing a lot of standing around waiting.

I would support the Goku vs Kale + Caulifla battle if they weren't in the middle of an elimination match, but in the current situation, characters shouldn't be sparring like they don't have much to lose.

I am disappointed that Goku is getting so much spotlight. Goku hasn't done anything interesting during the whole battle. His strategy is always focused around powering up, and the power levels get annoying real fast. It makes no sense that Goku is regaining his stamina so fast, and the plot doesn't even try to explain it.

Give other fighters more screentime.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
In a battle that's about eliminating members of opposing teams, these characters sure are doing a lot of standing around waiting.

who? consider that almost every chapter lasts like one mionute, that's not a lot of time wasted, specially when you have to search for apropiate oponents and or rest. Really, the nly one who is wasting time and acting liek an idiot is jiren, he is undefendable.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Universe 6 will be erased next episode. That'd be a nice surprise, at least for me. I had assumed they'd last longer than U2, 3, and 4.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Ep 115,

It feels like all the major players are just dumb at this point. Goku was supposed to be recovering his stamina, but he went and played around with the universe 6 until they became strong enough to actually become a threat, he was then force to go blue AND use kai-o-ken and then got beat up enough to be knocked out of his form. Even if he has deus ex ulta instinct to pull his ass out of the fire, that doesn't change the fact that he still is hurt, low on stamina and he wasn't able to beat Jiren the last time he used it either.

Jiren is just chilling in the sidelines not doing a god damn thing, letting the only person who was even a marginal threat to him recover, when he could have easily wiped the whole arena immediately after their fight. The only way I'll have any respect for him at all is he comes in right after the Kefla/Goku fight and takes out the winner (Goke obviously) before they can recover. But he's not going to do that because we need to get rid of the rest of the side cast so they can have their final showdown.

It doesn't even matter at this point that universes are on the line. What's the point of having high stakes when the people fighting for those stakes don't care about that at all and just continue to do whatever they want.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, I'm not the only one who has thought Fusion is such a fanfiction-y thing.

But the execution is such fun, so I don't care much about the unoriginality. Goku Black had that effect on me in Super specifically.

That said, the action wasn't nearly as cool and inventive as the past few episodes and it didn't look as good, either, but there were still a couple of cool moments, like the brief encounter with the U6 Namekians and, of course, Ultra Instinct's return.

Kefla individually isn't nearly as fun as Kale and Caulifla separately, either, but she's not bad.

I appreciate this episode the most for it... explaining things. Fusion is adressed and makes sense and all the other universes consider it, too. Kefla has her limits because she has been fighting a very exhausted Goku and we get updates with other fighters fighting.

I'm also actually really liking this fight in general because Goku is shown in more interesting ways as a fighter than just using Kamehamehas constantly.

This was a fine episode.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 115 is "interesting" because the DBS writers set some rules and limitations on the tournament, and then decided that nothing matters during the actual battle. I understand the point about Zen changing rules as desired, but if that's the case, why even start with such specific rules?

Also, Goku is getting way too much attention during an event that is supposed to be a battle royal. I was interested in this arc because characters could do or fight anyone at any time, but most of what has been showcased is 1v1 battles that are not interesting during a battle royal. There are characters literally standing around and watching others fight when the fate of their universe depends on how many opponents they eliminate!

This is not the battle royal we deserve.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I understand the point about Zen changing rules as desired, but if that's the case, why even start with such specific rules?

The rule about no outside objects is to naturally rule out using healing items like senzu beans (whose usage isn't as cool as something like fusion or the mafuba technique).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ep 116,

Finally that fight is over, and now we go into a bunch of side matches again. Is it really necessary to eliminate every other side character before the final showdown?

And giant face palm moment for me at the end when universe 11 (including Jiren!) are watching Goku, who is now empty on stamina again and saying "Goke will grow even stronger from now on!"

I'm yelling "NO HE WONT IF YOU JUST BEAT HIM NOW! WTF IS KEEPING YOU FROM DOING THAT?"

It's hard to keep excited for the final battle when the other side tons of opportunities to end the whole tournament and does absolutely nothing.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
While watching ep 116, I got the tingles similar to the time when Goku arrived on Namek to fight the Ginyu force.

The problem with this time is that Goku's new skills don't seem earned. He didn't do anything but lose battles and play around. Goku is apparently going to master a god-level skill in a matter of minutes after learning about it.

The battle between Goku and Kefla was little more than a power-level contest.The same battle could have happened without the characters spending half of their time powering up. I loved Goku's winning kamehameha attack, but I wish it didn't have all the battle fluff that DB Super has continued to rely on throughout the battle royal. Characters should be quickly and tactfully eliminated, this is no time for 1v1 power contests!

And why is Jiren still sitting around!? He could have ended the tournament minutes ago!
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Super managed to make a Kamehameha that surpasses the Instant Transmission one from way back in the Cell Arc in terms of impressiveness.

The fight between Goku and Kafla was great and major step up from last week's initial uninspiring skirmish. The more I see of Ultra Instinct, the more I want this form to replace every other transformation that Goku has. Because Ultra Instinct is awesome and actually feels fresh in way that Super Saiyan forms haven't been in a long while.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
While I think the power scaling is now insane and nuts - what always carried the DB franchise was to at least make the new toys fun. Ultra Instinct is fun. its not just fighting the same way with a new 'color' like Red, Blue, Blue+Red glow. The fight was really fun and for a minute I forgot how dumb everyone was being. At least Freiza is calculating in his passivity. More people need to shoot others while they're powering up.

Really the worst thing to happen to this tournament is actually when the stage was destroyed and blocked everyone's line of sight and made all of those mountains. Why don't people just burrow into the ground and hope to not get caught? Might be a good strategy for someone like Gohan, who managed to become more useless than Krillin.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 116 was pretty great.

Ultra Instinct is one of the better explained and unique forms so far. I especially love the "movement" aspect of it. It's not just another power and speed boost - it's all about efficent movement, which is one of the end goals of a martial artist. Goku was pushed to his absolute limits to get it, was almost obliterated by his own Spirit Bomb and it has been an excellent reward in terms of offering spectacle. I love it.

The fight choreography was once again excellent. I hope all the coming fights will follow this one's example. Goku's Kamehameha at the end of the episode was one of the coolest things in the whole series.

There's the typical complaint to be had of why Jiren doesn't just end it and we got the answer when he allowed Goku to fire his Spirit Bomb: Jiren is like Goku character-wise. Univeses at stake or not, he gives his opponents the chance to be at their best.

This is something I've always liked about Dragon Ball. Eventhough you can tell at points stuff is done to get the plot where it needs to be, it's for the most part the result of established character traits/flaws, not just having the characters randomly act out of character.

In this case, for others besides Jiren particularly, it's also about holding out strength till the end because the real strength of all the opponents in there is unknown and if it's all gone by the end, that also might be very disadventageous. It's a two-sided thing for the writers in that way, too.

That was really nice.

Last edited by Pipoko on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:

Ultra Instinct is one of the better explained and unique forms so far. I especially love the "movement" aspect of it. It's not just another power and speed boost - it's all about efficent movement, which is one of the end goals of a martial artist. Goku was pushed to his absolute limits to get it, was almost obliterated by his own Spirit Bomb and it has been an excellent reward in terms of offering spectacle. I love it.

If memory serves, I think Goku also spent time training in order to get more efficient as a kid in Dragon Ball. Basically, his strength wasn't the issue, but his technique needed improvement. It's kind of cool to see that is still something he can improve. It also works well with Goku's tendency to hold back on power in order to fight someone on a more level playing field.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Pipoko wrote:

If memory serves, I think Goku also spent time training in order to get more efficient as a kid in Dragon Ball. Basically, his strength wasn't the issue, but his technique needed improvement. It's kind of cool to see that is still something he can improve. It also works well with Goku's tendency to hold back on power in order to fight someone on a more level playing field.

I think that was one of the points of his training with Kami, but I haven't really revisited original Dragon Ball. This feels somewhat like a "ultimate" version of it.

If you think about it, pitting two fighters that have fully mastered UI against each other could make for an amazing fight.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Also, Goku is getting way too much attention during an event that is supposed to be a battle royal.

This was the OBVIOUS problem before the tournament even STARTED. It's also why I said way back then that they NEEDED to show that Goku could be beaten by SMART fighting in order to make the tournament interesting. But nope, it's all about "who's powered up the most NOW" (spoiler: its Goku). I don't have a problem with Goku being the final victor, it IS his show. I have a problem with the obviousness that NO ONE else (on his team) is even a factor really. At this point, anyone beaten by anyone that is NOT Goku is obviously garbage. And even if you have some huge moment where someone beats (say Vegeta or Gohan) it means nothing because you know Goku is all that matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 40