• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
This saga ended pretty much the exact way the series had been telling us it would the entire time so....yeah. Gods said, don't time travel, Zen'ou will wipe your shit out if he catches you. Cause it isn't fixable, it's not supposed to be, because you're not supposed to time travel.

Except he didn't destroy the future timeline because they time-traveled, he destroyed the future timeline because he thought it was ugly. And then Goku time-traveled with the King of All in order to fulfil his previous promise to bring him a friend and neither the present one nor the future one seemed in any way bothered by it. As for not being fixable... Trunks fixed it just fine the first time around. If it wasn't for this bizarre timeloop scenario which somehow happened despite going against the previously established time travel logic...
(So let me get this straight: Zamasu got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls... But Goku only met him in the first place because he'd previously battled Goku Black... who came back from the future... and who is Zamasu who got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls?
I mean I know stable time loops are a thing in fiction and all that, but when time travel specifically runs on the logic that "Each time jump causes a new alternate reality", having a stable timeloop in there, particularly one which doesn't leave any room for a start as the chain of events here naturally led up to Beerus destroying Zamasu and if you're gonna excuse it that the timeline split again when Whis rewound time... where did the Goku whose body Zamasu stole even come from? Shouldn't he have disappeared from that timeline when Whis turned back time?)
...the future would have been fine. But of course, as this arc showed, NOPE. Future Trunks's world was just doomed from the start with no conceivable way to save it, it seems. Despite the fact that his time-travel led to Goku's timeline being saved just fine.

Man, this ending just utterly unraveled the entire arc for me. A lot of these flaws I had been willing to defend before, but now? ...No. Just no.

Zamasu and Goku would have met regardless of Trunks' interference. The U6 tournament already happened and was recorded on Godtube for anyone to Watch, not to mention the next tournament which will involve all the universes. Trunks coming back and tipping them off about Black only changed the circumstances of their meeting.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

This franchise could have some interesting expansions. Like Star Wars,

Which would likely be jettisoned by a studio mandate Razz

SkerllyF wrote:
characters and have the dynamic duo of Goku and Vegeta saving the world.

Which isn't a recycled idea due to the fact that pretty much every DragonBall arc centered around Goku taking on the big bad. Hell the Red Ribbon Army was essentially dismantled by Goku alone.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
People wanted stakes and consequences and you got em.

Pretty much.

1-What do you mean by the word jettisoned?
2-I think by this point Dragon Ball can have a teamwork being the stars in an arc instead of only Goku or Goku and Vegeta. It becomes a little boring after a while
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
1-What do you mean by the word jettisoned?

Dropped like Disney dropping the Expanded Universe that Star Wars had before the Force Awakens.

SkerllyF wrote:
2-I think by this point Dragon Ball can have a teamwork being the stars in an arc instead of only Goku or Goku and Vegeta. It becomes a little boring after a while

I don't disagree with this notion but I don't see them making the likes of Yamcha, Tienshihan, or Yamcha relevant again with such an idea.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I'm surprised the ending was the straw that broke the camel's back not the confusing aspect of time traveling, paradoxes, stable time loops, and all that.

I can forgive a lot of little problems if the overall execution is solid, and the ending can easily make or break a story for me. While it is true that the arc as a whole has been about as convoluted as Steven Moffat's run on Doctor Who, the overall execution and tone of the story had been solid enough for me to forgive it. Plus, really, the only notable gap in the internal logic here was that the timeline somehow split when Beerus killed Zamasu despite Toriyama having previously stated that Whis's rewinds don't do that.

This, though? An ending that renders every single thing our heroes did throughout this entire arc 100% moot? I can't defend that. Dragon Ball has never been this pointlessly cynical and depressing. And the episode barely even seemed to acknowledge just how depressing this really is; Trunks was the only person who expressed any sort of angst over it after all was said and done. Like, okay, I know Goku and Vegeta didn't live in that world, but you'd think they'd be a bit more concerned about their friend (or son, in Vegeta's case) literally seeing his entire world vanish in front of his eyes. And of course, since this is presumably the end of Trunks's story for real this time (god knows there's pretty much nothing they can do to make his life worse save for putting him through the same hell again and having him actually die this time), this basically leaves no lasting impact either. Was anything learned here? Goku and Vegeta sure didn't seem to have been changed by the experience in any way.
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I'm surprised the ending was the straw that broke the camel's back not the confusing aspect of time traveling, paradoxes, stable time loops, and all that.

I can forgive a lot of little problems if the overall execution is solid, and the ending can easily make or break a story for me. While it is true that the arc as a whole has been about as convoluted as Steven Moffat's run on Doctor Who, the overall execution and tone of the story had been solid enough for me to forgive it. Plus, really, the only notable gap in the internal logic here was that the timeline somehow split when Beerus killed Zamasu despite Toriyama having previously stated that Whis's rewinds don't do that.

This, though? An ending that renders every single thing our heroes did throughout this entire arc 100% moot? I can't defend that. Dragon Ball has never been this pointlessly cynical and depressing. And the episode barely even seemed to acknowledge just how depressing this really is; Trunks was the only person who expressed any sort of angst over it after all was said and done. Like, okay, I know Goku and Vegeta didn't live in that world, but you'd think they'd be a bit more concerned about their friend (or son, in Vegeta's case) literally seeing his entire world vanish in front of his eyes. And of course, since this is presumably the end of Trunks's story for real this time (god knows there's pretty much nothing they can do to make his life worse save for putting him through the same hell again and having him actually die this time), this basically leaves no lasting impact either. Was anything learned here? Goku and Vegeta sure didn't seem to have been changed by the experience in any way.

you forget there are other trunks time traveling only if you want to go
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't understand this internal logic gap you are referring to. Whis' rewind is an independent action that has nothing to do with the timeline split. That's all Beerus.

I understand people not liking some to many of the story decisions that were made and there is nothing wrong with that. However, a lot of fans' issues with this arc seem to stem from them not fully comprehending the plot and that does bother me. The fanbase is all up in arms over Trunks' power-up because it "wasn't explained" and wasn't given a name, yet the show has provided an internal logic that makes it completely plausible. Granted, you have to remember the Battle of Gods fight but the explanation is there. And the reason it wasn't given a name is because it wasn't a complete transformation. Does everyone not remember the Cell arc where all the Saiyans got their super beefy transformations? Those didn't get names, and Goku says it is a form that is not fully realized. We're seeing the same thing here.

Quote:

After sitting on it for a while I don't think the ending is nearly as depressing as people make it out to be. It's a messy solution yes, but I get the sense that everyone has it in their head that just because there are duplicates, it means that our Future Trunks and Mai have to be hermits for the rest of their lives in the new timeline. Given the recent fusion retcon I could just as easily believe that Piccolo will teach Trunks and Mai Namekian fusion so that they can permanently merge with their doubles and become one. Bam! Duplicate problem solved, and Trunks and Mai can live with everyone they care about in a happy, peaceful future which Trunks does deserve. Is the exact timeline? No. But Trunks and Mai at least will be reunited with those they love. And as far as Goku and Vegeta are concerned, I'm of the belief that what they will take away from these events is that their raw Saiyan power will not win every fight now that they are on a god level and will have to adapt. But we'll see where the series goes from here going into 2017.

Now, as far as the latest episode is concerned, I completely agree with the review. It was an awesome premise, but the episode did not live up to its potential. I like the idea of the dragon balls being so normalized now, that character wishes are petty to the point where they don't even consider other, practical means to achieve their desires. But yeah, the execution flopped especially with Android 18. The only other positive is Beerus reminding everyone, and us, once again that time travel is a big no no and certain universal laws have to be respected. But poor King Kai, at least Goku tried this time.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I haven't followed the show, but I jumped into this episode because of DR. SLUMP, which I love a lot and is just about my favorite thing ever.

I have to say, I think DBS really captures a bright-colored version of Toriyama's universe that I prefer compared to the older manga and anime-style coloring -- the atmosphere is very bright and lovable.

But for crying out loud, that animation is just horrendously awful. Actually, I think even the classic 80's TV series (simple as it was) had better animation in comparison. I was completely taken aback by the off-model character shots and laughably low-framerates (seriously, for some shots it's like they just cycled between 2 images). You'd think Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump would be much too venerable to be treated with such unfathomably horrible production values, but I guess not.

I'm glad they got the spirit of things right (I suppose that's what really counts), but geez, they've got to do something about the awful animation, man.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
But for crying out loud, that animation is just horrendously awful. Actually, I think even the classic 80's TV series (simple as it was) had better animation in comparison. I was completely taken aback by the off-model character shots and laughably low-framerates (seriously, for some shots it's like they just cycled between 2 images). You'd think Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump would be much too venerable to be treated with such unfathomably horrible production values, but I guess not.

If you just jumped on for this episode, then of course you're going to think the animation is bad. We just came out of a pretty long story arc where the animation took a huge spike upwards, especially in most of the important fights. Check out Goku VS Black & Zamasu, Vegeta VS Black or Vegito VS Fused Zamasu to see some much better animation work. Of course the animation is going to drop in quality a little now that we're in the cool off period between arcs, especially in a filler-y episode like this. Dragonball & DBZ had plenty of their own animation errors, but like everything else from our childhoods, they get the pass because of nostalgia.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
If you just jumped on for this episode, then of course you're going to think the animation is bad. We just came out of a pretty long story arc where the animation took a huge spike upwards, especially in most of the important fights. Check out Goku VS Black & Zamasu, Vegeta VS Black or Vegito VS Fused Zamasu to see some much better animation work. Of course the animation is going to drop in quality a little now that we're in the cool off period between arcs, especially in a filler-y episode like this. Dragonball & DBZ had plenty of their own animation errors, but like everything else from our childhoods, they get the pass because of nostalgia.

Actually, I rewatched the first 20 episodes of DBZ just a little over a year ago, and the production quality was nowhere near as horrible as the animation in this episode of DBS that I watched.

I did look up some of the fights you mentioned, and they do look better than what I saw in this Dr. Slump episode, or at least acceptable in comparison. That said, so many of the characters still looked jarringly off-model throughout the episodes, and the moments of good animation were fairly brief compared to the otherwise mostly okay to sometimes outright janky animation.

From what I saw I did at least like the storytelling, pacing and atmosphere, even better than some of the past arcs in DBZ (it feels spiritually closer to the original Dragon Ball, which I love a lot more than DBZ), but visually speaking, this show is riddled with some noticably bad production problems.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This was my first introduction to Super. I thought the crossover in the original Dragon Ball series was handled better.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
the biggest "problem" wiht this episode, is that toriyama recently did almost the exact same episode for the kochikame event, except that it was kochikame instead of arale, and thus eh wanted to arrest people instead of playing with them; and yep, the gag manga character line was also present there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Actually, I rewatched the first 20 episodes of DBZ just a little over a year ago, and the production quality was nowhere near as horrible as the animation in this episode of DBS that I watched.

Nowhere near as horrible but still prone to /QUALITY moments?
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
This was my first introduction to Super. I thought the crossover in the original Dragon Ball series was handled better.

Sounds a lot like what has been Super up to this point. I give Toriyama credit where it´s given, but I´m also questioning his creativity
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any Super yet, but if Arale makes an appearance later on i might just have to watch this episode at least.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
70:

I'm beginning to think I like the idea of having characters get together and try their hand at a sport we've never seen them plat before. It's some pretty great comedic fodder, seeing them apply their sensibilities to a game to which their wholly inappropriate for and all.

spoiler[Yamcha finally got his biggest moment ever since.......I guess that time where he beat up the invisible guy in Urunai Baba's tournament? Even now though, the series can't help but ruthlessly bully him the whole way through. He even had his chance to show up Vegeta, the man who not only had his pet killed him, but stole the love of his life. Vegeta literally had him beat at his own game, or at least he would've if Champa had any idea what he was doing.

Speaking of Bulma, maybe she finally feels a twinge of regret for not going after the literal super athlete and instead going for jobless, violent meathead with the worst temper in the universe. That's the sort of decision no sane person who isn't rich would make.]

Honestly, holding any sporting event between people that can circle the planet 100s of times over in a second and casually destroy galaxies by farting on them is probably a bad idea, but it made for a fun watch tbh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 40