• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Comic-Con Bans Males Crossplaying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Taking into account other comments and rules on the site noting this, has anyone stopped to consider that the rule is in place to prevent men from going into the women's changing area to WATCH them? Considering the infamous number of train groping incidents and the efforts made both by events and municipalities at large to deal with "up skirt" shots, has anyone taken a moment to wonder if this is for the protection of the female cosplayers?

EDIT: The rule is specifically on a page for rules and policies for "dressing/changing rooms"

This is a logical fallacy where "all crossdressing (males) intent is to perform pervy acts", anyone attempting to make lewd photos do not need to put on a dress, in fact being male dressed up especially if you are pass-fail crossplay means you will have MORE attention to yourself so if your goal is to make lewd photos you are more likely to get caught than simply wearing regular clothes.

If you are a pass-fail male crossplayer, your goal was to get attention in the first place because of the shock value, this completely defeats the purpose of trying to be incognito in a crowd let alone an obviously male crossplayer entering a woman's bathroom or changing area.
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
This is a logical fallacy where "all crossdressing (males) intent is to perform pervy acts"

Nice assumption, I never said ALL nor even implied it. I'm saying suppose you have 100 male cross dressers and 1 guy that's trying to go peep at women and he's androgynous enough to pass for a woman at a "glance". You now have ONE guy that's ruining it for the 100, and yet THAT happens at conventions (in America for sure, so I expect in other nations too) all the time. (the "one bad apple" part, not the "guy dressed as woman" part)

Here's how convention rules/policies get made:
-Event makes "common sense" rule
-Person thinks "rule doesn't apply to me" or "EXACT reading doesn't affect what I'm doing" or "rule wasn't 'clear' about what was meant"
-Event has to deal with bad Person
-Event gets SICK of dealing with bad Person (people) and adds new rule to cover problem
-VAST majority that aren't a-holes complain about rule that jerk person caused

You don't need ALL crossplayers to be perverts, you just need ONE pervert to hide as a crossplayer and then you have a decision of do you want to be a place that is a "risk" to women or a place that is "mean" to men?

EDIT: Because frankly, which is worse press?
* Tokyo event doesn't let men dress as women
* Men caught peeping on women in dressing room at Tokyo event
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
* Tokyo event doesn't let men dress as women
* Men caught peeping on women in dressing room at Tokyo event

The fallacy comes from the nature that "stopping ugly men from putting on a dress" does not stop other men from brazenly harassing women.

I will not continue on this as I will easily become heated, but I would have much more to say about it.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
wtf what's this shit again, that's even worse than the sailor moon event where males were only allowed to participate when accompanied by a women -.- japan becomes more feministic every day

It's also homophobic/transphobic too... Not just feminist if you look at it from a different angle. Specifically speaking, insecure males not happy they can't tell the difference between a trap that is crossplaying and a cosplayer would be more than happy to see this "law" or rule stay. It's like that anime about the guy playing online games and gets scarred by a girl online who turns out to be a guy in real life.

All of this reeks of adding fuel to the fire. There's plenty of biologically male characters in female clothing in the anime universe that can "pass" and "don't pass" and both are sometimes intentional in some way or form. Did anyone who pushed this pathetic ban even think of those characters to begin with? A few that come to mind that don't "pass" are Kagura during the sex change arc AND all of the Kabuki transgender/transsexuals from Gintama.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks because a cosplayer should be allowed to dress however he or she wants. So hopefully in the future things will change for the better. Smile
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
lol soo half or more of the men that go to these things haha
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The fallacy comes from the nature that "stopping ugly men from putting on a dress" does not stop other men from brazenly harassing women.

No, but keeping out all men does stop men from harassing women. I didn't realize this was a dressing room related rule, but we're talking about a country where women sometimes get their own train cars because harassment by men is a big enough issue.

That said, I am confused why the crossplaying men couldn't just change in the men's room instead of having it out right banned.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
So now when your taking the panty shot your not getting a surprise
slau783

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed the source article is a four year old article from rocketnews first posted back in 2012? So at the very least this is not a new thing. The Tokyo Comic-con link in the article for the upcoming event does have a bullet line saying men dressing as women is prohibited if I am reading it right.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the source article is a four year old article from rocketnews first posted back in 2012? So at the very least this is not a new thing. The Tokyo Comic-con link in the article for the upcoming event does have a bullet line saying men dressing as women is prohibited if I am reading it right.

People seem a bit confused. The Rocket News article is linked solely because that's where the information about the photographer and her comments about the reasoning behind these types of bans comes from. I wanted to make sure I included some kind of reasoning for why these bans are commonplace. In fact the article states that this is not a new thing, so I'm a little unclear about why there are commentors pointing that out.

In short: the Rocket News article is linked because information from it adds context to the piece which would otherwise simply be "Male crossplayers aren't allowed at Tokyo Comic-Con" which would inevitably lead to comments asking "why?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
In fact the article states that this is not a new thing, so I'm a little unclear about why there are commentors pointing that out.

Because that would involve reading. We can't have that Lynzee. That would get in the way of internet raging and lecturing. Wink

I am saddened by the news but not surprised. I do have to share the sentiment of wondering how the hell they plan to enforce this. Perhaps it's different over there but here cons barely have enough staff to simply cover actual staff related things. Let alone acting like the fashion police. So if there aren't any bits hanging out how do they plan to find the time to enforce this? I think it's more of a PR stunt than something that can be legitimately enforced. Then again, like I said things might be different there. They might have enough staff to play fashion police.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
In short: the Rocket News article is linked because information from it adds context to the piece which would otherwise simply be "Male crossplayers aren't allowed at Tokyo Comic-Con" which would inevitably lead to comments asking "why?"

In my opinion, adding the Rocketnews item does a disservice to the whole thing as clearly trying to push a specific point of view. The RocketNews article ITSELF is taking a biased perspective saying PRESUMABLY the policy is out of fear of middle aged men in schoolgirl outfits. That is neither proven NOR taken from any organizer comment (for completely unrelated events 4 years ago) but is instead CONJECTURE from someone who is practically a self-described activist. And then ANN goes the further step of extrapolating THAT into this policy.
SilverTalon01 wrote:
That said, I am confused why the crossplaying men couldn't just change in the men's room instead of having it out right banned.

I assume they can/are supposed to. The policies note that (after PAYING to use the changing space) you can have "unlimited in-out priviledges", (presumably so one person can wear multiple costumes) So, basically a pervert COULD change into crossplay on the male side, and then go into the ladies section "to change" with no one knowing he doesn't belong there. It is entirely possible that the policy is to keep away "ugly men who like to wear girl clothes", I'm just presenting the POSSIBILITY that it is also to minimize event liability for "attractive" (feminine) men who HAPPEN to also be perverts.
note:
1. You get crossplayers at Comiket, which is the BIGGEST fan event in the country
2. TokyoComicCon has a rule about the need to WEAR underwear and not show your underwear
3. TokyoComicCon has a specific price point for junior & senior high schoolers (aka. minors)

Has anyone jumping down TCC's throat ever had to deal with the authorities: facility management, law enforcement, etc, when things go BAD? I have. It is NOT a pleasant experience and it is NOT due to 90%+ of the people at the event, but it makes you REALLY touchy (and yes, sometimes OVERLY paranoid) about that small percentage that ARE a problem.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I do have to share the sentiment of wondering how the hell they plan to enforce this.

Not sure what will happen in practice, but according to the policies noted, they will have people watching the changing space as people leave to confirm that they meet ALL the policies (notably it follows the bit about not enough coverage, ie. too much skin), so in that sense, it would be pretty simple to see someone leaving the changing space in an "inappropriate" costume.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, suuuuuuuuuure, this policy is to protect females against perverts in the changeroom as opposed to reflecting fairly well known retrograde Japanese attitudes. That makes waaaaaaaaaay more sense. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7