• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Comic-Con Bans Males Crossplaying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
What I hate about topics like this is how a lot of people can sounded so hostile and become so judgemental toward the cause of that specific rule that they approved so much to be ban without considering the reasons why the ban was done in the first place. It's okay to be angry and all but it can't hardly be helpful if all they uttered is mockery and insults.

Yeah, very much this. I am 100% against a regulation like this, and by no means think it's okay. But most places where this(and Goboiano's even more of a rip-off post) have been linked, the discussion is just a bunch of hatred and name-calling. With no one really even questioning why things like this happen. I guess it's unusual to be as curious as I am. Understanding the mentality of other people and societies generally seems like a good thing to me.
slau783

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
slau783 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the source article is a four year old article from rocketnews first posted back in 2012? So at the very least this is not a new thing. The Tokyo Comic-con link in the article for the upcoming event does have a bullet line saying men dressing as women is prohibited if I am reading it right.

People seem a bit confused. The Rocket News article is linked solely because that's where the information about the photographer and her comments about the reasoning behind these types of bans comes from. I wanted to make sure I included some kind of reasoning for why these bans are commonplace. In fact the article states that this is not a new thing, so I'm a little unclear about why there are commentors pointing that out.

In short: the Rocket News article is linked because information from it adds context to the piece which would otherwise simply be "Male crossplayers aren't allowed at Tokyo Comic-Con" which would inevitably lead to comments asking "why?"

I think it is great that you want to provide more context to the story. Though you may want to move that link to the body of the article where it is referenced. When you place it at the end with that via tag it makes it look like that is where the information comes from. I always like to read the source article. Which is why it was confusing when it brought me to a rocketnews article from four years ago that had nothing to do with Tokyo Comic-con. The link at the bottom should be current relevant material which deals directly with the topic on hand from which the article is based upon.
Daelowsensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
So no more

?

Good lol
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Good! The last thing I want to see is some fat hairy dude who thinks he's hilarious cosplaying as Cammy or Misty. It's disgusting.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Okay I've not posted in years for some context, during that time I started transitioning from male to demigirl so this is important for me to post on.
First this rule makes no exception for those who identify as feminine genders so amab persons are screwed.
2. How can they know who's trans and who is not. I mean I have a deep voice but like look at Julie Vu .
3. Many persons unsure of their gender try cross dressing to figure it out. Example I tried on a skirt before figuring out I was a girl
4. It's none of your business to tell people how to dress.
5. I doubt this will stop flashers or other perverts just security do their jobs
ValwinZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Okay I've not posted in years for some context, during that time I started transitioning from male to demigirl so this is important for me to post on.
First this rule makes no exception for those who identify as feminine genders so amab persons are screwed.
2. How can they know who's trans and who is not. I mean I have a deep voice but like look at Julie Vu .
3. Many persons unsure of their gender try cross dressing to figure it out. Example I tried on a skirt before figuring out I was a girl
5. I doubt this will stop flashers or other perverts just security do their jobs

stop trying to make this about trans anything or tumblr made up genders

thats not what this is about
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
1. NB genders existed for centuries in other cultures such as Navajo
2. I was pointing out how this hurts the lgbtqia community
peno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

And I'm guessing you also feel the same about women only subway cars right? Has nothing to do with perverts.

You're trying to apply the norm here, and you would be right about such rules and laws here. There isn't a problem here, and people are fear mongering as a way to get some ass backward stuff done. Japan on the other hand does have a legitimate problem with perverts.

Maybe I'll be a little more judgemental here than I should, but a lot of women in Japan seem to wear miniskirts even in colder months. The worst thing is, they were learned to do so in schools. Secondary and High schools (and sometimes even Pimary schools) in Japan require their female students to wear miniskirts as part of their school uniforms, which not only attracts pervs to them, but also learn them to wear such a revealing outfit for the rest of their lives. If the schools required long skirts or even pants for girls, I believe this may not be as big of an issue in Japan as it is now. Sorry for a little OT topic here, but when you discussed female harrasment, I had to put my two cents. Of course I don't want to sound like the women in Japan called this upon themselves by wearing revealing outfit, but be honest, it may be part of the problem, especially with those upskirt shots discussed here before.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
If the schools required long skirts or even pants for girls, I believe this may not be as big of an issue in Japan as it is now.

Many schools DO require "long skirts", it is the GIRLS that hike them up (usually AGAINST THE RULES) into miniskirts as a fashion statement.
ValwinZ wrote:

The policies prohibit several other types of costumes. Do you take any issue with TCC's ability to regulate:
-Over "provocative" (ie. sexy) clothing
-Military costumes
-"Gory" costumes
-Costumes with oversized headgear

All of the above are prohibited by TCC policy in the SAME rules as the one being discussed. Either the event has the right and capability to tell people what is acceptable at their event, or they do not. You may feel they are jerks for WHAT they choose to regulate, and that may be an entirely fair criticism.

EDIT: Here's an article about the skirt thing:
http://www.biginjapan.co/biginjapan/high-school-skirt-length-posters-criticised/
notable quote from the very end:
No doubt these posters will be stolen from schools and wherever else they are put up, most likely by the same people who are stealing boy’s baseball uniforms (happened last week and culprit was a university student) or women’s underwear (happens every week in most places in Japan).
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Bathrooms would be irrelevant yes, but changing rooms no since the rule is specifically for that

Since when do you have to use the changing room of the sex of the character you're cosplaying as? I'm pretty sure Dude Hestia has to use the man's changing room

kefkaownsall wrote:

2. I was pointing out how this hurts the lgbtqia community

If rules and regulations were never made because a very small portion of the population would be hurt by them then we would have zero laws and rules. You can't take account for every single person on the planet, it's unrealistic.

Something people seem to be overlooking is the fact that only applies to men. Why? Because men are the only one who do this kind of crossplaying as a joke. Women crossplay all the time but don't do it in a way like men do. Fat women generally dress like female characters just like every other woman. If you want to blame anyone blame the oh so funny guys who treat it like a joke and think they're oh so witty to cosplay as a scantily clad female character. Those guys ruined it for the rest of you.

peno wrote:
Maybe I'll be a little more judgemental here than I should, but a lot of women in Japan seem to wear miniskirts even in colder months. The worst thing is, they were learned to do so in schools. Secondary and High schools (and sometimes even Pimary schools) in Japan require their female students to wear miniskirts as part of their school uniforms, which not only attracts pervs to them, but also learn them to wear such a revealing outfit for the rest of their lives. If the schools required long skirts or even pants for girls, I believe this may not be as big of an issue in Japan as it is now.

Those school uniforms are mini skirts because the girls purposely hike them up to make them short to be fashionable. Besides, American women show far more skin than Japanese women do. The whole point of a school uniform is the regulate the way kids dress. Otherwise you got high schoolers wearing booty shorts and those shirts that are so loose you can see their bra through their arm hole like in US high schools.
peno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
And that's the problem here, the schools did not follow their own rules and eventually just made it a rule (at least some of them, I don't want to generalise here). On the other hands, boys aren't required or even allowed to wear shorts (except some Primary schools), they have to go to school in long pants or they will be in trouble. Why is it that girls can get away with it and boys can't? The whole purpose of school uniforms, as you wrote, is that students wouldn't wear inappropriate outfit. But if the school uniform itself is either designed or tolerated to be inappropriate, the whole point of school uniforms go in vain.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
I will try to make this brief and not get worked up about it, we collectively glanced over the title of the article, some actually went through links others didn't, the nature of the beast however comes in the responses and what we have is some posters trying to "justify" arbitrary rules which even some go along with the nature that "the rules at the Con are in fact arbitrary", yet certain posters try to make it out that the rules for the convention are some sign of higher morality giving stories about OTHER crimes or perceived lewd acts.

The issue is that the responses no longer become about "convention dress codes" and shifted into the area of "what does society think about x", which depending on how individual responses take it may or may not be tying back to the original article (face it, a fair chunk of people got article title baited)
It is clear that some of the responses go into the territory of individual values, and it is probably time for such people to take a moment and step back as they have said there piece, I could go on for quiet a bit more but I am going to try to be done for the day on this thread.
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't see how this is any different than other cosplay regulations. If there's already a ban on overly skimpy outfits or real world army outfits then this seems no different if they want to cut back on the amount of overweight hairy guys who wear short shorts. I don't follow Tokyo Comic-Con so I don't know what the cosplay scene is like there, but I actually kind of wish American conventions would be more strict. How great would it be if stuff like Homestuck and My Little Pony was banned from Anime conventions. I don't know why people cosplay as not anime related things at an anime convention.

I echo Aphasial's comment that if you're the kind of person who can actually pull off crossplaying then you're probably not the target for this kind of regulation. Less Man-Fayes seems like a noble goal.

-Stuart Smith
If nothing else there is the fact that the rule is applied one way towards men and another towards women.
#McKinnon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this sort of makes me sad, especially regarding COSplay involving characters whose gender is often the subject of dispute even among fans.

Consider Hunter X Hunter, for example. Alluka and Kalluto. One is the biggest trap of all time, the other dresses in feminine clothing despite being a male. Kurapika is often mistaken as a female and even has cause to dress as one within the series on more than one occasion.

It's a disservice to the trap characters everywhere. I understand that there are reasons, ranging from bad cosplay to a potential lawsuit, why the rule may be in place... but it also cuts down on a fair number of available cosplays.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
#McKinnon wrote:
It's a disservice to the trap characters everywhere.

A trap is not a female character, so this rule might not apply.
That depends on exactly how the rule is written, and how it is enforced by the staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7