• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Theatrically Before End of 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They've got a lot of competition this year. Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo & the Two Strings, Sing, Secret Life of Pets, even Miss Hokusai. No way it could win, but I'd at least like to see it get nominated.
You said it, this was a year for amazing animated films! I think Kubo and Zootopia are stand-outs though, Secret Life of Pets was *meh*, haven't seen the rest.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

The money it made is only on the japanese side. And with how rigged the oscars are requiring people to invest money or gifts to the nominators is a very big investment. A theatrical release isnt enough. But this does make me suspect that the Universal staff under Funimation is pulling the strings on this with a probable campaign to spend money in the oscars this year. But if not even Hosoda or DBZRF couldn't get any nominations or awards, then this prolly wont either. But if they do invest money on this and it still flops. Then I won't be surprised given the synopsis and content for this is far fetched even for shinkai with him probably taking to much ideas from Hosoda that makes Children who chase lost voices look unique in comparison.

It's definitely not going to flop. I was at the premier at AX and Shinkai got a standing ovation at the end. It's also currently the highest rated anime on MAL, so I'm sure it'll do pretty well. It also stands a pretty good chance of getting nominated. Plenty of Miyazaki and Ghibli movies aside from Spirited Away have at least gotten nominated, even if they didn't win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They've got a lot of competition this year. Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo & the Two Strings, Sing, Secret Life of Pets, even Miss Hokusai. No way it could win, but I'd at least like to see it get nominated.

You forgot Kung Fu Panda 3 (though unlikely to win since it was early in the year. I hate how early movies in the year get ignored due to Oscar politics) and Storks (which was way better than I expected. Certainly better than Pets which was only decent). Yeah, it's been a crowded year.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah until they give animation something like it own version of the foreign language category, it will always go to Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks if somehow Disney and Pixar both skip a year or lay eggs.

The big reason for this is the majority of the voters don't even both watching the animated films. They barely watch all the nominated live action films. So they basically just vote for the Disney/Pixar film simply because it is the one they heard of or they just assume it is a good film. Confused
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Your Name. might actually have some fierce competition from Sausage Party...Sony's giving it a serious push to be that fifth film nominated for the best animated feature category. Anime dazed

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-hilarious-animated-film-sausage-940679
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Huh. Guess I didn't have to rush and buy tickets for it at the film festival. Oh well.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
I sincerely hope they don't dub it in theaters. I would definitely wait for a disc release.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm really not sure if it will be nominated solely because of its American licensor. While Ghibli films have a boost thanks to Disney distributing them, Funimation is extremely obscure by comparison. I really hope it gets nominated but that probably won't happen.

The nominees this year will be Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo, and some foreign film, which will hopefully be Your Name. Hopefully Zootopia is the winner - that film is just mind-blowing (Dory was unambitious, Moana will probably be good but not enough, and the others are too obscure).

Now then - who else wants Shelter to be nominated for Best Animated Short?
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
bs3311 wrote:

The money it made is only on the japanese side. And with how rigged the oscars are requiring people to invest money or gifts to the nominators is a very big investment. A theatrical release isnt enough. But this does make me suspect that the Universal staff under Funimation is pulling the strings on this with a probable campaign to spend money in the oscars this year. But if not even Hosoda or DBZRF couldn't get any nominations or awards, then this prolly wont either. But if they do invest money on this and it still flops. Then I won't be surprised given the synopsis and content for this is far fetched even for shinkai with him probably taking to much ideas from Hosoda that makes Children who chase lost voices look unique in comparison.

It's definitely not going to flop. I was at the premier at AX and Shinkai got a standing ovation at the end. It's also currently the highest rated anime on MAL, so I'm sure it'll do pretty well. It also stands a pretty good chance of getting nominated. Plenty of Miyazaki and Ghibli movies aside from Spirited Away have at least gotten nominated, even if they didn't win.

Having high "MAL" rates means absolutely nothing,
1-small userbase mainly from the US

2- Especially when people that haven't even seen the movie gave it a 10 because that place is a circlejerk of the worst kind.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Come on Funi, hurry up and get this in theaters. There's still enough time to lose to Pixar Very Happy
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Come on Funi, hurry up and get this in theaters. There's still enough time to lose to Pixar Very Happy

Then there are people like myself who look to see what's screening when they visit Japan.

In November 2013 it was Kaguya Hime Monogatari (second session on opening day), in August 2016 it was Kimi no ni wa (first session on opening day) and somewhere in between I saw Hikawa Maru Monogatari.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

2- Especially when people that haven't even seen the movie gave it a 10 because that place is a circlejerk of the worst kind.

Agreed, plus its not that hard to contemplate a niche fanbase giving oviations to every damn anime film made due to conception that anime is hands down better than the rest of the world lol.

CrownKlown wrote:
I kind of feel like there should be two animated categories, a kid category for the Disney and Pixar fare, and more general category that recognizes great films that happen to use animation as a medium but don't have that family/kid stigma.

Kinda bias don't you think? So masterfully animated kid/family films from the west shouldn't get the recognition they deserve for using said medium to create an intriguing world/story for all ages? And we gotta give all the credit to animators that have their own stigma. Hell, lets look at the main 3. Miyazaki shoe horns environmental messages to the point of childishness. Hosoda wants to push his family dream morality and Shinkai is making a frankinstein out've his past films to make this Hosoda clone. Such unique changes to the medium that have never been possibly done better than the rest of the world. Just like how Sakuga needs to be scrapped since we don't need to label a race with a style of animation, we don't need to split the categories in judging films even more. It starts by preventing people from bribing nominators.
#Satou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
#825565 wrote:

Agreed, plus its not that hard to contemplate a niche fanbase giving oviations to every damn anime film made due to conception that anime is hands down better than the rest of the world lol.

careful what you say to those fans, especially if you do not agree with what they say, because they are the majority and of course the majority is always right, right?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Stop slashing Pixar with Disney. Pixar wins are Pixar wins. Doesn't matter if Disney owns Pixar. We don't call Gundam shows from Victory Gundam and above "Bandai Visual shows" do we? We don't call Ghost in the Shell Innocence a "Disney/Toho" movie now do we?

Wins are judged by studios and only by studios. Disney proper doesn't do well in the Oscars. It's rigged, yes, but not by Disney.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know that it truly matters if this film wins an Oscar or not. The sales in Japan and all the non-spoiler reviews I've read sounds like this is a movie to see if you're an anime fan.

I go to the movie theater extremely rarely. Like once every 3-4 years on average. I would actually go to the theater for this, if it shows up anywhere near me. I prefer it to be subbed, but I'll pay for a dub. I paid to see a few of the Studio Ghibli film dubs in the theater even. The last I saw was Arietty, and that dub wasn't bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3