• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Confirms Streaming of Great Passage, ViVid Strike!, Chi's Sweet Adventure Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
SLOW!

(Not that I'll be able to watch it anyway Laughing)

Wonder what Noitamina is doing, Kabaneri and Battery have been on time, right? (That is, if it is Noitamina and Amazon US's excuse isn't just BS)
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
It's pretty simple and clear as day that On Amazon lists of priorities anime falls very low if not dead last. If they weren't going to give a crap about there anime they should have just passed on it all together as it's making this anime less accessible for anime fans especially there simulcast. Really ruining the experience for people more so newcomers who would have to pay 100$ a year for there prime subscription only to have the very limited shows u care to watch not even show up. Amazon just give up on simulcast all together and leave it to crunchyroll but we don't mind u picking up those random Unlicensed shows that we might want to watch. Thanks.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
I hope your subtitling is better than the UK, then is no auto subs, instead you have to turn them on, they are in a weird box shape, that obscure part of the screen.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
If I had to place a wager, I would bet on them waiting until each series is over, and then posting all the episodes in one go in the US.

That would be fine with me since I wait to view series at my own pace, but certainly sucks for those that want to view ASAP.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope your subtitling is better than the UK, then is no auto subs, instead you have to turn them on, they are in a weird box shape, that obscure part of the screen.

It could vary by device, but for Kabaneri here in the US, the subtitles are normal in appearance and automatic when viewed either in a web browser via Amazon Prime Video or via the Roku app.

What you are describing sounds like what I have experienced when viewing some subtitled content via Hulu.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
I'd say "about time!," but they haven't even given us a date yet Sad

Did they officially confirm the Noitamina deal? When I spoke to Amazon Prime Video's customer service, they claimed there was no "official confirmation" of a deal between Amazon and Fuji TV, and that where and when an anime series streamed was solely up to the content providers. I suspect there is a deal, but ANN's only source is a German site, not an official press release from Amazon or Fuji TV, so its hard to argue with Amazon employees that the deal is "official."
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana At least for Battery, the subtitles were as you described, going through the closed captioning and not hard coded into the video. Hulu does the same thing (though you don't have to turn it on every damn time like with Amazon's) for some of their content. The ones from Sentai tend to be hard coded.

Yeah this is an issue I am quite aware of because before I got a my Roku, I used Chromecast, and for whatever reason, it hated Hulu's caption system and would not display them for anything and the hard coded subs were the only ones I could watch with Chromecast as a result. Which is one reason I got the Roku. No issues on that fron nowt. Aside for the time that one episode of Battery went unsubtitled for nearly a week by Amazon.

Amazon Prime does have a streaming only subscription available for 8.99 a month, though that's actually more than a full Prime membership, which comes out to 8.25 per month, though still less than 9.99 a month for the monthly full subscription. Frankly I'm glad I got Prime though mainly because of the other stuff you get. Streaming is kinda just an extra even though it's the reason I got it in the first place.

Anyways, anyone else surprised they managed to license part of the nigh unlicensable Nanoha franchise? They licensed part of the similarly unlicensable Macross franchise, so I'm not too surprised but still.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Anyways, anyone else surprised they managed to license part of the nigh unlicensable Nanoha franchise? They licensed part of the similarly unlicensable Macross franchise, so I'm not too surprised but still.

Yeah, that was the biggest surprise to me. I'd given up on any Nanoha installment ever popping back up in the US again, though I was hopeful when the UK announcement went out. I have Prime, so I'll definitely be watching it when it goes up, and I don't mind waiting for it to come out, since I have too many other things to watch anyway. I haven't even finished all my summer season shows yet. LOL

Now the real question becomes, is CR going to eventually pick up the home video rights for this, like they did with Kabaneri?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@MarshalBanana At least for Battery, the subtitles were as you described, going through the closed captioning and not hard coded into the video.

I hadn't viewed Battery, as sports anime is normally low on my watch list, but a quick peak confirmed it indeed is as described, unlike Kabaneri. I assume that means we'll be stuck with that inferior subtitle presentation for future shows.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Well, kinda. VS is pretty terrible but Amazon picking it is both disgusting and hillarous.

Disgusting in the fact that its still Prime exclusive even in areas that don't get it. Hilarous in the fact that nobody's picked up the far surperior movies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
In another thread, I was arguing against some posters, including Lynx Amali, who think streaming competition is a good idea, whereas I was saying that rather than having multi-services each charging their own subscription fee, I prefer something like CR's one-stop shopping. Those on the other side of the argument said increased competition means better service. Laughing
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Huh, okay. I would have never expected ViVid Strike! to get licensed considering the last time anything Nanoha was still licensed over here was years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well, at least they admitted they have the rights? I don't really mind them doing something like Netflix and posting them all at once. I just wish they would announce what they were going to do so people are aware of when the legal option will be available.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see that Vivid Strike got licensed for the US. Maybe Amazon might licence the other seasons of Nanoha. I would like to watch legally as well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Did they officially confirm the Noitamina deal? When I spoke to Amazon Prime Video's customer service, they claimed there was no "official confirmation" of a deal between Amazon and Fuji TV, and that where and when an anime series streamed was solely up to the content providers. I suspect there is a deal, but ANN's only source is a German site, not an official press release from Amazon or Fuji TV, so its hard to argue with Amazon employees that the deal is "official."

ANN also sourced two Japanese websites. My Japanese sucks, but AnimeAnimeBiz states specifically, similar to the ANN article, that Amazon and Fuji TV announced a deal to stream all Noitamina titles going forward. I didn't see an end date listed. Justin Sevakis also mentioned in an Answerman column that he was privy to some specific numbers on the deal, and that it was absolutely a thing.
I think this is a case of Amazon being a massive company and it's Customer Service people not really having any idea what is going on behind the scenes.
chisama gahaha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Since Crunchyroll had the rights for Saekano for Season 1, will they continue to stream Season 2 next year or will it be Amazon streaming it? The articles I read said that the exclusivity agreement was only for Japanese streaming, not worldwide, but I'm not too sure of this. Given how awful Amazon has been for streaming anime, I would hate for them to be streaming Saekano S2. It's already bad enough that it's nigh-guaranteed they'll be streaming Kuzu no Honkai, something I've really wanted to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2