• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scum's Wish (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Why? How does Moca wanting the boy she loves to just love her back make her evil?

I meant how the little princess thing was just an act, at least partly. We see in episode 9 how her demeanor has changed a lot now that she has accepted her true self.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Turning point for Akane.

I'm curious to see people's reactions to this turn of events. The fanbase is pretty much cut in half like "NO, I DON'T WANT HER TO BE HAPPY!! DIE!" and "Oh, that's nice....good for her."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
I think my opinion is on how I kind of had the opinion of maybe feeling like I knew where Onii-chan was coming from and why it was upsetting Akane. With like a lot of current culture and the like I think there has been a resurgence of needing to think things through, kind of like on trans issues, but one I have thought on quite a bit is of culture slut shaming for women, but celebrating conquest for guys. It is a multifaceted topic, that guys should not treat women like objects, but also that people should often stay out of someone's business, that they have no right for criticising someone for doing something they want if no one is getting hurt. Having it thought through I have in recent years thought through from that if a guy can be completely fine person who likes to sleep with a number of people, a women should too and that from things like culture I had been thinking a bit hypocritically, that I was in my mind thinking of celebration of purity, and that was kind of looking down. Gave myself thought exercises on whether I would be completely okay with a woman who was a "so called slut", in my mind I kind of came to the acceptance of such characteristics and that they should be themselves.

I don't drink or any such stuff, I am a big pansy that I can compare myself to Onii-chan, and I can say I can kind of say I see the acceptance he gave the teacher despite being quite restrained. If he actually loves that woman and is giving the respect he thinks she deserves, then all the power to it, and I kind of think that it might have been the acceptance that Akane kind of needed that she was not needing to manipulate into pretending to be someone else to get affection. That revenge really is bullshit and if she is happy, then that is good. Of course Akane has also seemed to gone out of her way to cause pain to others, that was not cool, maybe some comeuppance would be deserved, but really she is kind of a sociopath that she probably would not get the message. I just kind of hope she will be happy and not hurt her now fiancé.

Does it just come across that I am rambling or something? I probably am.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
God, how tedious. So that's all you needed to finally feel connected to somebody, is it, Akane? All you needed was somebody who loves you unconditionally no matter how big a piece of shit you are? Well, good for you. You've attracted the love of a boring, mommy's issue pansy who genuinely doesn't care how many people you eff or eff over AS LONG AS YOU ARE HAPPY, DAMMIT!!! Have a great life together, you both deserve each other. Rolling Eyes
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. On one hand I dislike this turn of events in the sense that it was fun having Akane as a villain. Watching her screw over people was entertaining. Then perhaps seeing her finally get her comeuppance might have given the ultimate satisfaction. But then on the other hand a happy ending for her gives some feeling of accomplishment. I guess I'm fine with what happened.

Blood- wrote:
God, how tedious. So that's all you needed to finally feel connected to somebody, is it, Akane? All you needed was somebody who loves you unconditionally no matter how big a piece of shit you are? Well, good for you. You've attracted the love of a boring, mommy's issue pansy who genuinely doesn't care how many people you eff or eff over AS LONG AS YOU ARE HAPPY, DAMMIT!!! Have a great life together, you both deserve each other. Rolling Eyes

lol. "Sleeping with other dudes is like a hobby for you, right? You like doing it, right? Then it's fine!" Kanai doesn't really need much does he. Laughing Eh, he may be a wuss but at least he is... uh.. . determined and knows what he wants.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I don't think Akane will really cheat on him; she's just saying that.

I think he broke her wall down. That IS the first time we've ever seen her shed tears.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I never found Akane fun as a villain. The second I found out that part of her deal was tormenting completely innocent high school age kids who had done her no harm at all, whose only crime was to be convenient pawns to be used in her sick little game of staving off boredom, I hated her and not in a fun way. The only enjoyment I had was the admittedly unrealistic hope that I would be given the privilege of seeing somebody cave in her face with a baseball bat.

And it's not just that Kanai doesn't need much - he's a moron. Let's leave aside his completely unrelatable equanimity at the fact that she's the town bike because "that makes her happy, hyuk! hyuk! hyuk!" I think a detail like that might inspire an actual sentient person to think, "hmmm, maybe I should get to know this person a bit better just to see if there is, you know, something ELSE that maybe isn't so great about them." But hey, I guess when a chick reminds you of your mom, what's the point of sweating these minor details, right? Rolling Eyes
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Actually, I don't think Akane will really cheat on him; she's just saying that.

Oh, I don't think she will either but Kanai doesn't know that. He is just genuinely OK with her laying with other men. Unless he is much more calculating than he looks but I doubt that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Of course Akane is going to cheat on him. He bores her silly and he's got the sexual energy of a half-dead firefly. She's going to eff a legion of other guys and make him come shopping with her afterwards to carry her bags. And he may as well carry her bags since he doesn't have one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I see you've already decided who your couple of the decade is going to be. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Of course Akane is going to cheat on him. He bores her silly and he's got the sexual energy of a half-dead firefly.

I dunno. She seemed to really like the sex this time around. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Which only happened because she got him drunk, again. That's gotta be great for her ego, eh? "Yay, the only way we can have sex is if he gets plastered!" I can't wait for the day he yells out MOMMY! when they're doing it, (drunkenly).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hnnn....I didn't like the ending that much but hard to argue that it doesn't fit with the series tone.....because it does.

Akane giving Hanabi the rose was nice.

WOW Moca.....she actually looks like a woman. xD I didn't even RECOGNIZE her!! o_o

Ecchan's hair is blah.

As long as Hanabi and Mugi are both alive and single, I guess that doesn't rule them out of ending up together in the future...but it's left open to the viewer to decide what that future is. I still think it's possible if they give it some time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I kinda shot my wad in the episode review thread. Oh what the hell, guess I'll expend the precious nano-joules of energy it will take to cut and paste:

Episode 12 (Finale)

And so we are done. As I expected, I am left with a sense of dissatisfaction, although I have rated the show Good, so I by no means despised it. It had things to admire and I can confidently say I'll remember it for a good long time to come when so many other shows that irritated me less have faded into oblivion.

On the more trivial end of things, I often felt I was reading a manga 1.5 as opposed to a reputedly animated show. This was very much a conscious creative decision on the show's part to use panel framing, for example, but I can't say it worked gangbusters for me.

More substantively, I was left unsatisfied with some of the resolutions. For example, Akane did not perish slowly and horribly in a fire. I consider this one of the great missed opportunities in popular culture. Instead, this sociopath who vibes on playing sick emotional games with high school students, miraculously changes thanks to the oblivious and 100% no strings attached "love" of Nurami "You Remind Me of my Mommy" Kanai. I only wish the show had lasted long enough for us to see Akane boff the entire male contingent of all his classes. Year after year.

Frankly, I felt I had already seen the Ecchan-Hanabi wrap-up a few episodes ago. I didn't need more, especially more that included Ecchan cock-blocking a dude showing interest in Hanabi.

I can live with the resolution between Hanabi and Mugi. What I'm not so down with is how limp the Mugi-Hanabi through line was for a large chunk of the show. In the early going, I assumed we were watching a scenario about two people who had made a cynical contract with each other and would eventually have a day of reckoning after playing with that particular fire. Which we sort of got in the most understated and pallid way possible. Fireworks after Mugi left Hanabi twisting in the wind on the night of their mutual confessions? Apparently not.

I am enough of a sap to admit that I secretly wanted Mugi and Hanabi to get together in the end. The resolution we were given is more mature and pyschologically correct than my shoujo yearnings, so I don't ding the show for it.

Mostly, my dissatisfaction was because Akane expressed no remorse about her shit-heel behaviour (and I refer here to her delight in sticking it Hanabi as opposed to her promiscuity) and paid no price for it. This is what left a vaguely curdled sensation in my justice-loving gut.

(I know Lifesongoa will make a convincing argument that Akane's approaching Hanabi to give her a rose from the bouquet represents an act of contrition on Akane's part to which I say, fie! FIE, I TELL YOU!!! Wink )

New stuff:

Chiibi, you are correct to observe that it is open to the viewer to decide if Mugi and Hanabi happen in the future. My own opinion is that they likely won't. I think they both have learned that when it comes to love, you gotta go after someone where the feelings will be real. I think they are fond of each other, but I think they also realize that neither one is the right one for the other.

Personally, I kinda hope Hanabi ends up with Shaggy (Ecchan's cousin).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I can see why an Akane-hater would be disappoint by this ending. Anime hyper

Quote:
Personally, I kinda hope Hanabi ends up with Shaggy (Ecchan's cousin).

That would be okay too; he was best male character who didn't do anything stupid. lol (yeah, I also think Kanai is.....not the wisest. He's too naive for his age.)

I'd pray for some type of epilogue chapter with a time-skip to see how everyone is doing then but since the final volume of the manga's release date was already announced, it's unlikely to happen. And Mengo seems to LOVE writing stories that don't have a really happy ending. I've read her one-shots and yeesh. Lighten UP, woman! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7