• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Lupin III: Part IV for 2017 Release With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I was hoping Toonami would air the new Lupin anime sometime next year, but oh well. Looking forward to this dub, but I still need to watch the 2015 show.

Toonami wanted to air A Woman Called Fujiko Mine,but they realized there was too much nudity(more than the usual Lupin The 3rd entry had) to edit,so they passed on that.Part IV is much lighter,so I can see that being on Toonami.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, that was why they brought back Samurai Champloo.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/675930284089597952
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/675930443083063296

Quote:
Fun fact & then bed, #toonami fans. Before Champloo, we tried to get Lupin III: The Legend of Fujiko Mine. Couldn't make it work.

Too many boobies for our censors! We would have had to chop the show to bits. So we chose Champloo.
JEArgumedo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I was hoping Toonami would air the new Lupin anime sometime next year, but oh well. Looking forward to this dub, but I still need to watch the 2015 show.

Still can air! Just politely suggest it to Toonami's Tumblr page.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

It’s also remarkable that Discotek is releasing a wholly dubbed 24-episode series like this.

It's 26 episodes actually....at least in Italy.

johnnysasaki wrote:

Toonami wanted to air A Woman Called Fujiko Mine,but they realized there was too much nudity(more than the usual Lupin The 3rd entry had) to edit,so they passed on that.Part IV is much lighter,so I can see that being on Toonami.

I really can't considering how Lupin's last run on Cartoon Network went.
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

I don't think they are bringing back after poor ratings for part 2.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

...okay I'm good. Seriously, this is fantastic news. That cast IS the English version of Lupin as far as I'm concerned, and no one else was able to match them. It'll be a serious nostalgia blast to hear them back together again.

As far as chances for a Toonami run goes, honestly, the broadcast of Part II was so long ago and in such a different television environment that I don't think there's any point in using it as a reference. Among many other things, this series obviously wouldn't have to clear the "It looks too old!" hurdle.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Epcar and Stern were at Kamicon earlier this year and mentioned the dub, so I have been waiting anxiously for this announcement since then; I was so happy last night when they posted the preview video to Facebook. I'm a bit sad that Dan Martin isn't going to be voicing Zenigata, but, given the circumstances, I'd say that this might be the best replacement we could've asked for. This cast is the best of the best as far as English Lupin III casts go. I don't know how much Discotek will want for the BDs, but they're going to get it. I'll sell my soul to get this cast for the rest of their Lupin III catalog, too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

As far as chances for a Toonami run goes, honestly, the broadcast of Part II was so long ago and in such a different television environment that I don't think there's any point in using it as a reference. Among many other things, this series obviously wouldn't have to clear the "It looks too old!" hurdle.

It would have to clear the "it's not actiony or violent enough" hurdle though.
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Super excited!! Loved the Part II dub casting so really thrilled they're reprising their roles. (Well, 4 out of 5 anyway!) Can't wait to hear Part IV's dub. Definitely a day one buy for me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree with everyone's sentiments when they say they can't wait for the release of this. The L.A. cast has always been my favorite ensemble of the Lupin III gang and it's amazing to see (most) of them back for this memorable and engaging TV series. And while Dan's iconic Zenigata will be missed, you couldn't ask for a better recast with Doug Erholtz in terms of emulating his performance. You can bet that this will be an immediate purchase from me Discotek. 2017 has yet another addition for me to look forward to!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I will probably get this for the animation alone. Otherwise, it was a good Lupin entry. Not a huge fan of the franchise generally, but I love the art, and this was mostly pretty fun. If it gets a really nice release, that'll definitely help to convince me.
Scottran7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if we are lucky, Part IV's sales will encourage Discotek to get them to go back and dub the rest of Part II. Maybe even Part III and dub Part I, even though they've already released it as sub. One can dream at least. :p
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Glad it's getting a physical release.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
I fully agree with everyone's sentiments when they say they can't wait for the release of this. The L.A. cast has always been my favorite ensemble of the Lupin III gang and it's amazing to see (most) of them back for this memorable and engaging TV series. And while Dan's iconic Zenigata will be missed, you couldn't ask for a better recast with Doug Erholtz in terms of emulating his performance. You can bet that this will be an immediate purchase from me Discotek. 2017 has yet another addition for me to look forward to!

Yeah. Hell freaking yes, this is the best news finally getting this cast confirmed! Smile
It's going to be amazing hearing them back in their roles together. The first ep or two that I checked out back when it was airing were a lot of fun, can't wait to see the rest.

Even though Koike (and Yamamoto) didn't work on this, the way the new staff took their new art style and updated it to the normal setting was done flawlessly. Seeing the detailed designs with the strong colors and new version of the classic OP theme is so good (They better use that JP OP on the discs for the eps, even if they include the Italian one in the bonus materials), could watch the OP so many times. Not too worried since they used the song and parts of the OP animation in the dub trailer Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3