• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Oct 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Surprised that Keijo leapt up nine whole spots, but glad it cracked the top ten.

But what is there to celebrate? Keijo is in the top 10 in the ever changing week to week ranking, but to me a show is truly doing great if it manages to end in a high position in the cumulative ranking, which is the ranking that should matter more.

I suppose the weekly rankings have some value, but I continue to see that posters in this thread (and whoever writes the blurbs) give the weekly ranking way too much importance; they even seem to dismiss the cumulative rankings.

So?

I'm an optimist so I'll take victories where I can get them. Keijo leaping that high shows me that the show has the potential to get better over the weeks. Do I expect to stay that way? No. But if something I like is doing well I celebrate it, no matter how short the victory may be.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
I'm a little disappointed in Flip Flappers drop for episode 4, but if anything does lend credence to the 3 episode rule, it's totally that show. Episode 3 was balls to the wall, and 4 was pretty quiet, in comparison. Still a good episode though.

Like I said above, that would make sense. Even though I enjoyed the episode and thought it gave us some much deserved down time and character exploration. Also it was just plain adorable, as always.

For sure. I loved it. Them on the island was adorable, and there were still some gorgeous backgrounds and animation to keep me entertained. It definitely felt like it was building to the next "high" point, and that building is always very important.

killjoy_the wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I was planning to skip this season's option for cute child + adult guy, Poco's Udon World, but it's actually getting pretty good ratings and reviews where I hang out. I might have to pick it up at the end of the season. There is just so much good stuff right now.

Iunno. Whereas shows like Bunny Drop, Barakamon and Sweetness have great children mixing up with great parents, Udon clearly lacks the former. The adults give their best, but to me, the results are pretty mixed (I liked episodes 1 and 3, didn't like episodes 2 abd 4).

So you would say the kid in this one is sort of a low point, in comparison?
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get the mixed reception for Poco's Udon World, it's one of my favorites of the season. Obviously the quarter-life crisis thing is the main meat of the series, but I don't agree at all that Poco is the weakest part of the series. I still find Poco a lot of fun, he's a really cute kid.

I kinda get why people dislike Classicaloid but it still makes me sad, because I love it so much, it's just tons of fun. It's certainly not as bad as say, Occultic; Nine, so having it hovering around the same area is disappointing

Also curious as to how Bungou will fare now it's apparently out of it's flashback arc. I don't recall how well the last season ranked, but I have heard that apparently this last arc was the best in the series. Almost makes me tempted to go back and give it another shot. Almost. I'll wait and see how the rest of the season plays out
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't say that Poco is necessarily a weak point of the show, but I do think that the others mentioned have an advantage over Poco by having realistic children, especially Barakamon and Sweetness and Lightning, both of which have kids voiced by actual children.

I think Flip Flappers' fourth was a fine episode. It was plenty visually inventive even without going to Pure Illusion. Yeah it was a quieter episode but so what. Like others have said, it is some well needed character exploration and building.

Hard to say what the number one next week will be given the most likely candidates haven't aired yet but I'm thinking Trickster will be at the bottom next week, unless Shippuden rates about the same as last episode. Classicaloid will definitely go up next week, which personally I would not say I dislike, it just lost my interest.

Kinda tempted to give Kiss Him not Me a try given its trajectory. I'll see if it keeps going that way a little longer before I do try it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Yuri On Ice <3

The only other thing I'm watching this season is Touken Ranbu Hanamaru, which didn't even rank. It's so cute, though. You should definitely give it a try, even if you don't play the game. I don't play the game, and I'm enjoying it. Episode 3 was so sweet and heartwarming, I think I cried.

. . . episode 4, the best part was Yamanbagiri with the sunflower thing, but I think I'm partial to him because the actor who plays him in the stage play played one of my favorite characters in the stage plays of another series.
And the main two are so adorable. They win moe of the season.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I just watch the first episode of Keijo... it's actually good for real... It got the perfect mixture of over the top and seriousness, and those special attack hologram on butt is just so hilarious.

Anime man... so weird sometime.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
Finally Haikyuu deserves that top spot I was actually waiting for it to slay. Yuri!! and Euphonium is still going strong as expected even tho the 2 is not yet aired this week
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
So you would say the kid in this one is sort of a low point, in comparison?

In comparison, definitely. By itself, I wouldn't call him a low point, he's just kinda... neutral? Poco himself hardly feels like an actual character, much less a kid. Think a dog that can sometimes talk.

I know he kinda isn't a kid and that's sorta the point, but honestly that plot point has had zero value so far and only served to justify the cheap way he's written.
chaccide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
To me Poco acts more like a real kid than that fake-cute kid in Sweetness and Lightning. I enjoy the series quite a bit. It's not Barakamon but it's sweet with some genuine emotional notes, and each episode is a little better for me.

Drifters has gone downhill for me because it's very one-note. I was worried about this at the beginning, that Kouta would just try to draw something cool and not bother with much beyond that. He doesn't seem to put much thought into what he does.

Izetta .... I don't know why but I just don't want to watch it anymore. I think maybe it's taken a very predictable route including some stupid actions to drive plot, and I have no patience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2