• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Fans Aren't Ready to Tell Serena Goodbye

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Wait wait wait did Misty and Ash not have a romantic moment(s)? I haven't seen any of this since it first aired in my childhood but dang, I could have sworn there was some semblance romance (at least in one of the movies? second?).

In Revelation Lugia's dub Fleura constantly teases Kasumi about liking Satoshi, and then there's the infamous "Misty's Song" on the US soundtrack CD.

Other than that, Satoshi has a completely platonic relationship with all of his traveling companions. The only other notable thing to mention was Kotone in Diamond & Pearl who once shipped Hikari and Satoshi together, but Hikari told her no way.

-Stuart Smith
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Lol get over it Pokémon fans, at least Serena and Ash can still be shipped whereas in Digimon the old Taichi x Sora thing has been dead and buried by executives since 2000 when she marred Yamato instead of him.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Wait wait wait did Misty and Ash not have a romantic moment(s)? I haven't seen any of this since it first aired in my childhood but dang, I could have sworn there was some semblance romance (at least in one of the movies? second?).

Again, mostly subtext added by the dub. And it was only brief moments that could be taken as romantic but overall being up for debate... With Serena, there's no question, she's blatantly in love with him and this is brought to attention all the time. Like, she literally went off on her journey with the express goal of meeting Ash again, and then for pretty much the first year of the show, she had no real objective beyond just... being with Ash.
Then you have the episode "Satoshi and Serena's First Date" (it wasn't really), or that time when Ash was sick and literally collapsed in Serena's arms saying something she thought was gonna be "I love you" (It actually turned out to be "Iron Tail, Pikachu" because Ash is as always completely obsessed with Pokémon battles) only for the same episode to later feature a guy who demanded to fight Ash and Serena deciding that she's gonna pretend to be Ash because hey, she's been constantly watching him for the past 100+ episodes, she can totally pull it off! Her rivals in the lameified Poké Contests she parttakes in also comment on her obvious attraction to Ash and how she really ought to get a move on with that on several occations.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Kasumi and Serena are best girls.

I concur with precisely half of this statement!
(To elaborate, I genuinely do not know who Serena is.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Ain't Pokemon primarily made for kids? I don't think any actual romance could ever commenced, especially when the episodes are already large enough in numbers.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote
Serena was my least favorite companion so I welcome the change tbh.
If the bottom right image is the new Alola girl, I already like her more just by her design alone. Here's hoping she's an actual trainer interested in battling like Misty and Iris were.

Iris still best girl, though. fite me m8s
#opinion Embarassed
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
#854136 wrote:
Oh, please. Only noobs think pokeshipping was dub only thing. If you have any doubts just check the movie 2, that's just an example, all the series has a lot of hints in Japanese version too. Besides the chances to Serena appear are the same as Iri because XY popularity is even WORST than BW. People think Serena and XY are popular but that's only in the west. If you follow Japan's Animation TV Ranking you will so how XY (and and focused episodes in Serena) is bad and is even worse than BW. The recent movies sucks so bad which is almost breaking records of unpopularity so please, don't say unfounded things like that.

This made me laugh.

Do you even know the ratings of late TV anime (meaning, the most popular and marketed anime)? By the sheer number of population, it's even lower than common Toonami ratings. Let's take Izetta this season, that one airs at 2:45 in the morning, Haikyuu at 2:30, Yuri!!! on ICE at 3:00 in the morning. And those three are probably the most talked about anime, but I can assure you that, first, anime isn't as big as we think in Japan, second, there aren't that many people who watch the anime they like the moment it airs, most people record it or watch repetitions the following days.

Pokémon XY (along with Dragon Ball Super, Detective Conan, One Piece and Yokai Watch) air in the morning timeslot, which most kids watch, but actually the ratings of that timeslot is usually dominated by the never ending Sazae-san, an anime that all of the Japanese family may watch. It's true though that Yokai Watch and Super have become huge competitions for Pokémon's ratings, which doesn't make the franchise or the anime as a whole any less popular in Japan.

The popularity in the west is by no means small, Pokémon has one of the highest priorities as a dub anime, I think in the US they are only three episodes behind compared to Japan. The anime, aside of having a narrative, is hell-bent on selling the games and promoting as much merchandising as possible, and you know what, Pokémon Sun and Moon literally double on preorders Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it's done its part of the job properly.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Serena is my favorite female companion, next to Hikari. It's ambiguous whether or not she kissed him on the cheek or lips, which was likely on purpose, both to give us the possibility that it was a peck on the lips, and to let us imagine otherwise if we so please.

Personally, I find it awkward. Amazing moment, and Satoshi's vague reaction is hilarious (*gets kissed* *speechless* *uh... thumbs up*), but if it had been me, I would've felt slightly uncomfortable. She just moves on him. If it had been presented as a male side character kissing the main female lead with the same ambiguousness as it was presented here, it would've been twice as awkward and most people wouldn't be cheering. Anime hyper

Seriously, though, Serena might make an appearance, but she's gonna have her hands busy spoiler[with contests in Hoenn], so I highly doubt she'll make a permanent return. I do hope they at least follow up on the romance in a future season, though. They made this too big a deal for it to just be a "we'll meet again" scene they can just wave off with little care to the future of the story.
Don Perron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="Valhern"]
#854136 wrote:
This made me laugh.

Do you even know the ratings of late TV anime (meaning, the most popular and marketed anime)? By the sheer number of population, it's even lower than common Toonami ratings. Let's take Izetta this season, that one airs at 2:45 in the morning, Haikyuu at 2:30, Yuri!!! on ICE at 3:00 in the morning. And those three are probably the most talked about anime, but I can assure you that, first, anime isn't as big as we think in Japan, second, there aren't that many people who watch the anime they like the moment it airs, most people record it or watch repetitions the following days.

Pokémon XY (along with Dragon Ball Super, Detective Conan, One Piece and Yokai Watch) air in the morning timeslot, which most kids watch, but actually the ratings of that timeslot is usually dominated by the never ending Sazae-san, an anime that all of the Japanese family may watch. It's true though that Yokai Watch and Super have become huge competitions for Pokémon's ratings, which doesn't make the franchise or the anime as a whole any less popular in Japan.

The popularity in the west is by no means small, Pokémon has one of the highest priorities as a dub anime, I think in the US they are only three episodes behind compared to Japan. The anime, aside of having a narrative, is hell-bent on selling the games and promoting as much merchandising as possible, and you know what, Pokémon Sun and Moon literally double on preorders Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it's done its part of the job properly.

Didn't get your point. I'm talking about Serena and amourshipping popularity not the series popularity overall. Everyone knows Pokémon is big in western, we have the games and all but the japanese anime is made for japanese people to japonese people. The likes or dislikes in the western is far from being priority. If XY was great in Japan like is in western the series wouldn't be so low audience ratings and its movies wouldn't be flopping so bad. If you think western popularity is enough to support the anime alone then I have bad news for you.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
For me Serena was clearly the best girl, I am probably not watching the serie again unless they bring her back.

As for the kiss it was obviously on the lips.

2 big hints :
First they don't show it implying strongly that they can't. (they already shew some cheek kiss in the past)
Second hint is Serena's steps, when you kiss on the cheek you usually have to put one of your feet ahead to the other to keep your balance.
And Serena was mainly on only ONE feet during the kiss.
The third one is obvious...

They should have ended Satoshi's story with XY with him winning the league. But instead they made him lose for a third time against the same person...

#854136 wrote:

Oh, please. Only noobs think pokeshipping was dub only thing. If you have any doubts just check the movie 2, that's just an example, all the series has a lot of hints in Japanese version too. Besides the chances to Serena appear are the same as Iri because XY popularity is even WORST than BW. People think Serena and XY are popular but that's only in the west. If you follow Japan's Animation TV Ranking you will so how XY (and and focused episodes in Serena) is bad and is even worse than BW. The recent movies sucks so bad which is almost breaking records of unpopularity so please, don't say unfounded things like that.

"popularity is even WORST than BW" do you have some numbers to go with that statement ? Though what Valhern does count.
"I'm talking about Serena and amourshipping popularity not the series popularity overall" Actually you clearly did...

As for the movie I watched a long time ago in JP but I don't remember any hints about mysty pairing but I might be wrong. As for the serie do you have some proofs? episode number ? moment ?
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
That send off was perfect for Serena, I'd rather they'd leave her alone then have her mingle with Sun/Moon Ash only to bugger off again a few episodes later.

You have to accept this is a long running kids anime where events of the last 20 years are rarely brought up. Any kid can go into Sun/Moon without ever once seeing an episode from the past 2 decades and enjoy it. Sure there's might be a little nod here and there to us older fans but you're never going to see Ash have his rematch with that samurai kid from episode 4, you'll never see him revisit his Pidgeot like he promised, hell when Ash did travel through Kanto again in late season 8/season 9, there was pretty much NOTHING brought back from season 1, even Misty was gone after a few eps never to be seen again outside of an opening theme.

Once you accept that it always has and always will be a kids anime where even the most loyal older fan is rarely rewarded and not to tie yourself so much to characters and their relations, it's much easily to watch without the emotional attachment.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
This is one of the reasons I dislike the Pokemon anime; the disregard for continuous characters. Even if they seem important by the end of their respective series, they get dropped out and sidelined for new 'eye candy'.

This could be remedied by ditching Ash/Satoshi too, but NOPE. Seriously, go one way or the other.

This unfortunately has been the rationale for the writers of the series over almost 20 seasons. Eye candy is what draws the viewers every week especially since most of them are in the pre-teen years.
Don Perron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
"popularity is even WORST than BW" do you have some numbers to go with that statement ? Though what Valhern does count.
"I'm talking about Serena and amourshipping popularity not the series popularity overall" Actually you clearly did...

As for the movie I watched a long time ago in JP but I don't remember any hints about mysty pairing but I might be wrong. As for the serie do you have some proofs? episode number ? moment ?

All you need to do is a little research. In Pokémon the tendency of audience performance in one saga is that the first episodes always have the best ratings while the last ones have the worst. What makes sense since the firsts are the only that introduce new elements and characters that will be worked in the saga that attracts new audience at first, while the last ones represent a reflection of the saga wear, the same with movies. This always happened in transition of saga and you can see a example here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-19/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-6-12 - end of DP
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-16/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-20-26 - start of BW (ANN mistook the picture of saga though)

But for the first time in history the start of a new saga didn't surpassed the end of the latest, like you can see here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-30-october-6 - last exhibition of BW
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-14-20 - start of XY

There was no burst in increase just a continuation of wear, and since the start is the highest peak audience of one saga, this means the performance of the whole saga was also lower than expected, just like the movies too. And thanks to that, now is not uncommon find Pokémon episodes outside the top 10 list of Japan's Animation TV Ranking. Pokémon XY and XY&Z made history, not in a good way though. And about Serena and amourshipping, if you do a research about episodes focused in those themes, you'll find a lot of them didn't even make in top 10 ranking.

About pokeshipping, I recomend episodes 23, 52, 83, 93 and 103 from Original Saga and DP 34 (number of episodes from bulbapedia list). The main difference between pokeshipping and amourshipping is that the feelings isn't unilateral like in amour. Ash and Misty feelings are really mutual and worth of appreciation.

Last edited by Don Perron on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It is a bit questionable who is going to be the next PokéGirl, since Satoshi is going to school and has three female classmates. So all three counts, but who is the main one? Mao? Suiren? Lillie? Suiren looks the least likely. Lillie is important to the games, so she might be the main girl. But it could also be Mao, but Lillie would still be important.

The weird part is that almost every classmate is a Trial Captain in the games. I really hope Satoshi never releases a Pokémon ever again. I curse you, Kanto and Kalos.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Pokemon should have done the thing Digimon does, change the entire cast for every series, (main character included) this is mainly because Ash is a loser, the Pokemon origin anime special did it right by having a protagonist that doesn't suck.

Which it only did since Origins was "weirdly" based off of the original Red & Green video games (with some X&Y aspects thrown in).....where the protagonist isn't written to lose for stupid reasons.

Zin5ki wrote:
(To elaborate, I genuinely do not know who Serena is.)

She's basically the female trainer/rival from X&Y .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5