• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Fans Aren't Ready to Tell Serena Goodbye

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
#854136 wrote:

All you need to do is a little research. In Pokémon the tendency of audience performance in one saga is that the first episodes always have the best ratings while the last ones have the worst. What makes sense since the firsts are the only that introduce new elements and characters that will be worked in the saga that attracts new audience at first, while the last ones represent a reflection of the saga wear, the same with movies. This always happened in transition of saga and you can see a example here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-19/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-6-12 - end of DP
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-16/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-20-26 - start of BW (ANN mistook the picture of saga though)

But for the first time in history the start of a new saga didn't surpassed the end of the latest, like you can see here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-30-october-6 - last exhibition of BW
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-14-20 - start of XY

There was no burst in increase just a continuation of wear, and since the start is the highest peak audience of one saga, this means the performance of the whole saga was also lower than expected, just like the movies too. And thanks to that, now is not uncommon find Pokémon episodes outside the top 10 list of Japan's Animation TV Ranking. Pokémon XY and XY&Z made history, not in a good way though. And about Serena and amourshipping, if you do a research about episodes focused in those themes, you'll find a lot of them didn't even make in top 10 ranking.

About pokeshipping, I recomend episodes 23, 52, 83, 93 and 103 from Original Saga and DP 34 (number of episodes from bulbapedia list). The main difference between pokeshipping and amourshipping is that the feelings isn't unilateral like in amour. Ash and Misty feelings are really mutual and worth of appreciation.

Sorry for the late answer, and thanks for your answer.

The last episode of BW had 3.6 ... (the one you linked was an extra)
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-06/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-23-29

I compared the last months of BW and XYZ, it looks like to me that BW has been out of the chart as much as XYZ.
Geenrally speaking it looks like to me that Pokemon's popularity has been decreasing since BW too much and barely got up after it...
I did not check for the episodes with AmourShipping but I think hard to believe that kids would boycotte them espcially knowing that we usually dont know in advance wich one they are except for the date episode and the dance one (though it was barely one)
I think it is wrong to blame Serena and AmourShipping for the poor ratings.

As for the episodes you told about with PokeShipping, I watched the episode 23 in Japanese and found 0 hint. Or maybe did you meant when Kasumi was crying ? Yeah I guess when you see someone dead you would only cry if you love (romantically) him... Ofc not...
I tried to find episode 52 in Japanese but have yet to find it.
I will try to find the others later, but I am pretty sure there is nothing mutual going on... Moreover Pokemon is a typical shonen anime you won't see hints from Satoshi.
Did you ever see Satoshi react toward Kasumi the same way Serena did to him ?
Don Perron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

I compared the last months of BW and XYZ, it looks like to me that BW has been out of the chart as much as XYZ.
Geenrally speaking it looks like to me that Pokemon's popularity has been decreasing since BW too much and barely got up after it...
I did not check for the episodes with AmourShipping but I think hard to believe that kids would boycotte them espcially knowing that we usually dont know in advance wich one they are except for the date episode and the dance one (though it was barely one)
I think it is wrong to blame Serena and AmourShipping for the poor ratings.

As for the episodes you told about with PokeShipping, I watched the episode 23 in Japanese and found 0 hint. Or maybe did you meant when Kasumi was crying ? Yeah I guess when you see someone dead you would only cry if you love (romantically) him... Ofc not...
I tried to find episode 52 in Japanese but have yet to find it.
I will try to find the others later, but I am pretty sure there is nothing mutual going on... Moreover Pokemon is a typical shonen anime you won't see hints from Satoshi.
Did you ever see Satoshi react toward Kasumi the same way Serena did to him ?

That's why I said last exhibition and not last episode. Yeah, BW has a big bad impact but XY that was suppose to recover from that impact with its supposed high popularity couldn't make at all. It's not about boycotte, it's just about popularity. Amourshipping don't have enough audience to make amourshipping episodes achieve high audience.

About pokeshiping, the hints (poke is not explicit and unilateral like amour) are not just about Misty but about Ash too. His attitude towards Misty is more intimate, familiar and near than other pokegirls causing a relationship much more close and comfortable between them. And If you have doubts about Misty's feelings I think 12th episode of Pokémon Chronicles has a big hint.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

It's not an issue with Pokemon's popularity, though. As Stuart Smith said earlier, live television ratings as a whole are on the decline.

Compare the other shows on that DP finale list with what they got two weeks ago, the last time XY ranked:

Chibi Maruko-chan: From 15.3 down to 9.9
One Piece: From 10.9 down to 6.6
Doraemon: From 9.1 down to 7.8
Crayon Shin-chan: From 8.9 down to 8.5
Detective Conan: From 8.5 down to 6.9
Dragonball: From 7.3 down to 5.7
Pokemon: From 5.6 down to 3.1

That's pretty much the same drop in ratings for every single one of them. It's not "Pokemon XY is unpopular", it's "Pokemon XY gets less live viewers because TV in general gets less live viewers".
Don Perron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
It's not an issue with Pokemon's popularity, though. As Stuart Smith said earlier, live television ratings as a whole are on the decline.

Compare the other shows on that DP finale list with what they got two weeks ago, the last time XY ranked:

Chibi Maruko-chan: From 15.3 down to 9.9
One Piece: From 10.9 down to 6.6
Doraemon: From 9.1 down to 7.8
Crayon Shin-chan: From 8.9 down to 8.5
Detective Conan: From 8.5 down to 6.9
Dragonball: From 7.3 down to 5.7
Pokemon: From 5.6 down to 3.1

That's pretty much the same drop in ratings for every single one of them. It's not "Pokemon XY is unpopular", it's "Pokemon XY gets less live viewers because TV in general gets less live viewers".

I already said before that everyone knows the japanese audience is constantly declining. The problem is that the Pokémon audience seems to be falling more than average overall. If you check the numbers of its movies you will see the proof. XY really wasn't a great generation (to Pokémon Co. at least) like many people think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5