• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
State of anime, overall experience, & discussion in 2016 and beyond.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
My interest has significantly decreased in 2016 compared to 2015, which I think more has to do with me than with the production quality. The animation quality continues to raise the bar when it can, at least.

I will say though that certain stories and/or tropes are starting to feel stale. I am particularly tired of series set in Japanese high schools, though I can accept it if it is just a portion of the story due to the age of the characters. I am tired of school uniforms with short skirts, especially when wearing those school uniforms in impractical settings (one thing I appreciated about Kuromukuro is that the characters were given appropriate outfits to ride the mechs). I am tired of the obligatory school festival, onsen, or beach episodes.

Not that 2016 doesn't have enough interesting shows that feel more up my alley (Kuromukuro, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Yuri On Ice, Izetta, Flip Flappers, 91 Days), but getting into the mood to watch them has been more miss than hit this year; though I've been more active lately.

I cosign all of this, my interest has decreased so much compared to when I first got into anime from the early 90s. Yes, all the reused tropes have become so stale I can't feel anything satisfaction wise for them anymore.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I've only watched a couple shows this year, including one punch man which I didn't see when it came out. My interest in anime has declined though I still love the medium, but I am getting more and more jaded on the formulaic approach of anime. I'm glad I waited until recently to wach one punch man because it was just the type of "different" show that I needed. A show with a main character who is genuinely different and not satisfying a bunch of check boxes. It's a big reason I liked Accel World. In fact, the main character from OPM's jaded sensibility is probably a great metaphor for the anime industry today.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@ ChibiKangeroo - actually, 2016 has been a pretty good year for offering titles that avoid the kind of formulaic construction that you are justly weary off. That's not to say you would necessarily like those shows - you might find other reasons to not care for them, but at least it wouldn't be because they come out of a tired mold.

Erased, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, Ajin, Flying Witch, Berserk, 91 Days, Magical Girl Raising Project, March comes in like a lion, and Flip Flappers are shows just from this year that I feel are "different" in the sense I believe you are referring to. Again, you might try one and find things you don't like, but I feel pretty confident that at least you wouldn't be thinking, "ugh, not this tired old collection of tropes and cliches, again."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I will try a couple of those. I started watching Izetta the Last Witch but that was it, and I haven't kept up with it. I kind of like it but it does have a lot of the formulaic issues. European (or half European half Japanese) princesses or princes who fight nazi-like imperialism is not necessarily a bad concept, but it is losing its appeal. And we've had a bunch of "hot young witch who is experiencing new things" shows. I don't know, I might still go back to the show and finish it, but the magic might be gone. (No pun intended.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I will try a couple of those. I started watching Izetta the Last Witch but that was it, and I haven't kept up with it. I kind of like it but it does have a lot of the formulaic issues.

Izetta's not a bad show, just not particularly distinctive. I'm sure I'll watch it to its conclusion now that I'm invested. I rarely watch more than half-a-dozen shows per season and usually less. So given that disclaimer, I have to say Flip Flappers is the most compelling release of the year both in terms of the quality of the production and the inventiveness and complexity of the story. It's certainly the most cerebral show I've watched in quite some time. It has some similarities to FLCL as an off-beat coming-of-age story, but I've enjoyed Flip Flappers more. I recommend the "three-episode" test since the third installment is one of the best so far.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find Re-Zero "formulaic" at all. Although I think some people regard it as formulaic. I though it was the best series I watched in a while. Really entertaining stuff and I couldn't predict how it would turn out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
There were aspects of Re:Zero that were formulaic and then other elements that were not. I'm a little offside on that show in that I'm not a huge fan. There were things in it I quite liked and there were things that drove me absolutely nuts. Things like the episode that consisted entirely of the MC and Rem standing on a rooftop with MC saying basically "I'm worthless!" and Rem saying "No, you're not!" That show was ridiculously overwritten dialogue-wise. A good editor could have made that a 1-cours comfortably just by taking out all the unnecessary verbiage.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well I think that excessive verbiage is not usually a formulaic element and I like it: characters repeating the same thing over and over gets to point across in a stronger and more well defined fashion.

I wouldn't think that "liking" and thinking it's not formulaic are perfectly correlated. There are some formulaic stuff I love (CGDCT's shows) and some creative stuff that I hated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, I quite agree. That's why when I rate a show, I rate it based on my enjoyment of it rather than an attempt at judge its critical merits. I know that Cowboy Bebop is an incredibly well done show. I just wish it could have made me care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2