• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Complex Age GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
CS Lewis comes to mind:
Quote:
To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

One can be both an adult with adult responsibilities and enjoy childish things without shame. It is not a binary choice, and I hope she finds that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This series does sound like something I'd like to read myself. Though, fear of how it will end, as mentioned in the review, is holding me back right now. 4 volumes left for this one, not sure if I'll wait for it all to be release before jumping in or not...
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
CS Lewis comes to mind:
Quote:
To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

One can be both an adult with adult responsibilities and enjoy childish things without shame. It is not a binary choice, and I hope she finds that.

Unfortunately, in Asian cultures such as Japan(and my own, although it's slowly getting acceptance recently), it will remain a binary choice, and C.S. Lewis' words will remain anathema as long as it is so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1