• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
I'll add to the voices that were hyped for Nichijou, but were subsequently let down a bit that it's sub-only. I mean, I'll also still buy it at a good price to show support and because Nichijou is love, but...

Honestly, it's kind of a blunder. The show has a lot of appeal, including being a slice of life that can draw in people who normally don't give a damn about the genre due to it's absurdist elements, a good amount of fans/fandom built in, even (any youtube video of a lot of the skits from the show range from the high hundreds of thousands of views to in upwards of 2 million), could sell to kids, and the animation is top-notch, looking as good as, if not even better than even the sakuga-fests in the 5 years that followed it's release all the way up to now.

belvadeer wrote:
I'd love to hear Nichijou dubbed honestly, because it could totally work. It's not too Japanese or anything, and the comedy has the potential to work in English, but I guess it's not going to happen. It's disappointing that it's going to be sub only, but it can't be helped and I won't chew Funi's ear off about it. Still looking forward to watching all of it since it's absolutely hilarious.

Vertical's wonderful releases of the manga, that are already halfway finished, rare uses of mild profanity aside, certainly proved the humor definitely works well in English, only needing a few quick cultural notes, laid out in a sentence or less on the same page, for unfamiliar items, traditions, references, etc.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Oh hey there! Do you actually have a list of their sub-only releases? Aside from these two I know there's Buddy Complex, C3, Rainy Cocoa, JINSEI, and In Search of the Lost Future - what else?

Some others not yet mentioned in this thread:
Puchimas
Inari Kon Kon
.hack//GU Trilogy
Yatterman Night
A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd
Shonen Hollywood
Doamygar-D
Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun
Seiyu's Life

Also Tales of the Abyss whenever Sunrise gets around to giving them the materials for it.

Maybe Junjou Romantica 3 too, though I would worry over if it's coming to Blu-ray or not since they have been inconsistent with sub-only titles (see DVD-only Seiyu's Life Mad ).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Scrapped Princess was pretty good, I wonder if they are going through all of the old BONES shows, it makes sense since a lot were Bandai Visual titles. I know they've done sub-only releases in the past, but I thought Nichijou would be popular enough for a dub. My guess is they are taping out all their resources for the current simuldubs.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Since they aren't getting dubbed (Scrapped Princess already had one) it makes me wonder if one or all were part of a package licensing deal perhaps?

They're all from Kadokawa if I'm not mistaken (Scrapped Princess I'm not entirely sure, but the other two definitely are)
Scrapped Princess is indeed Kadokawa.
http://imgs.dvdempire.com/products/77/668877bh.jpg

It's also why Bandai got stuck with composite masters (which is why their DVDs have so much dot crawl) because it was one of many titles affected by Kadokawa intentionally giving companies composite masters due to reverse-importation fears. A few others include: Girls Bravo (which for some reason through FUNi still has dot crawl...), Maburaho, The Melody of Oblivion, and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

FUNi getting these is definitely likely due to a Kadokawa package deal because why would they randomly get these only now? FUNi doesn't really license titles more than a few years old at this point in time unless it's something that definitely will be an evergreen title.
Quote:

Some others not yet mentioned in this thread:
Puchimas
Inari Kon Kon
.hack//GU Trilogy
Yatterman Night
A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd
Shonen Hollywood
Doamygar-D
Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun
Seiyu's Life
Omamori Himari is another one. That and Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun are also likely part of a Kadokawa package deal because why only this year would they finally get a show from 2010 and one from 2007? I'll never understand why they never got Omamori Himari on its own years ago when the manga sold like hotcakes for Yen Press. It really seemed to be up FUNi's alley.

Also a few specials/OVAs they haven't dubbed are: The Yuki-chan OVA, the Vandread OVAs (Geneon never licensed those), and the Attack on Titan picture dramas. There's plenty more I'm missing. Also IIRC, I remember hearing they didn't dub the Kaleido Star OVA that ADV Films never licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Nichijou... good... will be relased by Funiamtion... ok though their distribution has gone sour recently and as such, I'e only bought one Funimation BD this year...

Wait, I don't buy sub only BDs because of sub locking issues. Never mind. [b]Why[?/b]
Arrgghhh....
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited for Scrapped Princess and Uraboku, although I would have preferred to buy the latter in a Blu-Ray version. Either way, these announcements have completely made my day.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
No Nichijou Dub!? Awwww!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
I am pleased to see Nichijou finally released. On the one hand I am surprised Funimation is not dubbing it because they dub most of their stuff. On the other hand, I am sure Funimation did their research and decided that not that many people are interested in a comedy, niche show to justify the expense of a dub.

manapear wrote:
Did Bandai previously hold the license for Star Driver? If so, hopefully Funimation can rescue it too and also get the movie brought over. x'D

Bandai Entertainment did indeed release Star Driver, but I don't think Funimation could rerelease it because the show belongs to Aniplex.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Add me to the chorus of people who are happy to see Scrapped Princess get licensed-rescued. Although I have the DVDs, I've never liked the menus on them and the video quality isn't the greatest on 1080 HDTVs. It's a series well worth double-dipping for to get it on Blu-Ray; I'd easily rank it among the top 20 series of the 2000s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
Vertical's wonderful releases of the manga, that are already halfway finished, rare uses of mild profanity aside, certainly proved the humor definitely works well in English, only needing a few quick cultural notes, laid out in a sentence or less on the same page, for unfamiliar items, traditions, references, etc.

Thank you for backing up my post. I knew the material could work in English.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that the they've got the licence for Nichijou so I can finally watch it although it's a bit of a shame that the dub version isn't available but hopefully they'll eventually get that

Last edited by SnowyLightning44 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a big fan of Nichijou (some episodes had me rolling but most of them had maybe 1 or 2 gags I found funny over the course of a 20 minute comedy) but seeing this licensed gives me hope that maybe Mitsudomoe has a shot somewhere.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Add me to the chorus of people who are happy to see Scrapped Princess get licensed-rescued. Although I have the DVDs, I've never liked the menus on them and the video quality isn't the greatest on 1080 HDTVs. It's a series well worth double-dipping for to get it on Blu-Ray; I'd easily rank it among the top 20 series of the 2000s.

Can you explain how spoiler[that ship exploded with everyone on board but nobody died but they were all separated when they...something; Escaped? Were ejected?... and the only solid negative result was that the main character ended up with amnesia as even the ship itself was ok?]

If you can, I'll buy it. Otherwise, it had a really solid main premise that was brought down some glaring plot holes and that last meeting between Pacifica and...no, I won't get it regardless. That scene has haunted me with its lost drama potential for years already and will continue to do so for years to come.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Also IIRC, I remember hearing they didn't dub the Kaleido Star OVA that ADV Films never licensed.

Yeah, that's correct. It's this OVA that ADV didn't release, but FUNi did and didn't dub. It's a double-length episode too. There's also one more OVA that's never been released in the US at all.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
but seeing this licensed gives me hope that maybe Mitsudomoe has a shot somewhere.

Unfortunately (since I'd be interested in owning it too, and Crunchyroll only has the broadcast version originally simulcast), it's an Aniplex title, so I'm doubting it will ever happen.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I wasn't a big fan of Nichijou (some episodes had me rolling but most of them had maybe 1 or 2 gags I found funny over the course of a 20 minute comedy) but seeing this licensed gives me hope that maybe Mitsudomoe has a shot somewhere.

Mitsudomoe is an Aniplex of Japan license, so the chances of it being picked up by anyone other than AoA is nigh improbable. Since AoA never bothered licensing it, I'd say it'll probably never happen as an NA license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8