• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yours_Truly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Good news about Nichijou! Never gave the series much of a chance, even though my bros used to rave about it all the time.

Scrapped Princess, too! I've been interested in the series for a while now, and have been in the mood for its style of fantasy lately.

And even Uraboku??! I feel like I'm one of the only people who remembers that show Anime hyper
Souichirou Hoshi as an uke was a real treat to listen to, lmao!
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Scrapped Princess rescued. Hope that this may mean Madman will be re-releasing it too...but, if not, I'll just import. Want SP to have next to Chaika on my shelf.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Oh hey there! Do you actually have a list of their sub-only releases? Aside from these two I know there's Buddy Complex, C3, Rainy Cocoa, JINSEI, and In Search of the Lost Future - what else?

Some others not yet mentioned in this thread:
Puchimas
Inari Kon Kon
.hack//GU Trilogy
Yatterman Night
A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd
Shonen Hollywood
Doamygar-D
Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun
Seiyu's Life

Also Tales of the Abyss whenever Sunrise gets around to giving them the materials for it.

Maybe Junjou Romantica 3 too, though I would worry over if it's coming to Blu-ray or not since they have been inconsistent with sub-only titles (see DVD-only Seiyu's Life Mad ).

If Escaflowne is any indication, they should have the ability to go and dub Tales of the Abyss. I'm pretty sure Sunrise would still have the materials. As for Junjou, that's probably due to Kadokawa licensing the first two.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ willag - I watched Scrapped Princess earlier this year and didn't notice any visual quality issues. I wonder if you got a bum set or something.

Rather doubt it. There have been a number of complaints about those DVDs, from myself included. They're not terrible (at least in my judgment), but when I first watched it on a larger screen and at higher resolution I definitely noticed some flaws, especially in the opener.

Gemnist wrote:
If Escaflowne is any indication, they should have the ability to go and dub Tales of the Abyss. I'm pretty sure Sunrise would still have the materials. As for Junjou, that's probably due to Kadokawa licensing the first two.

Escaflowne is an A-list title, though. Don't know that you can say that about the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Glad to see Scrapped Princess rescued. I still have my DVDs and probably won't bother to upgrade to BD, but glad more people can get it easily now.

Have you watched your DVDs at some point? As someone who usually isn't bothered by video imperfections (I either don't notice or am not bothered by banding or ghosting issues that other fans point out), even I felt the video quality of Bandai's DVDs were awful. I did end up watching the entire series through on the DVDs, but boy was it bad.

Yes, but not since it was first released (I got the individual discs with the figures, then used one of the figure boxes as a DVD box for the entire set since they never put out a volume + box), so I can't really comment on the quality any more.

If you (and anyone else who has the DVDs) upgrade, please be sure to share your thoughts (and screenshots Wink ) with how it compares =)
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
I'm so happy that the they've got the licence for Nichijou so I can finally watch it although it's a bit of a shame that the dub version isn't available but hopefully they'll eventually get that

Has Funimation ever added dubs to their licensed titles after initial release?

I hope they do with Nichijou. I REALLY do.
Nope, they stated that no matter how well they do, a sub-only title will remain sub-only, so it's different from how other companies deal with sub-only shows that overperform. OniAi which overperformed is still sub-only.
(The initial run of the LE (it was LE-only) sold out in under a month. Then the second print sold out in under a year, far faster than most FUNi LEs (tons are still available after years). It's currently the only title on S.A.V.E. to drop the DVDs instead of the Blu-rays.)
Gemnist wrote:
FUNimation stated they wouldn't dub any of the sub-only Sunrise rescues, so Tales of the Abyss will be getting released sub-only.
Key wrote:
Rather doubt it. There have been a number of complaints about those DVDs, from myself included. They're not terrible (at least in my judgment), but when I first watched it on a larger screen and at higher resolution I definitely noticed some flaws, especially in the opener.
So have I, and in fact, here's a screenshot from Maburaho, a show that was affected by Kadokawa giving companies composite masters. Scrapped Princess I imagine looks similar, probably way worse given just how much people have complained about how bad it looks. Really would like for someone to provide screenshots so I can see how bad it is for myself.
http://i.imgur.com/rwTtEyq.png (and this looks even worse in motion)

And here's Girls Bravo, which for some reason through FUNimation still is plagued with dot crawl due to composite masters.
http://i.imgur.com/13aj62o.png

And lastly, FMP? Fumoffu which looked awful through ADV Films but not through FUNimation (who fortunately wasn't intentionally given composite masters).
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2273777#2273777

Scrapped Princess was also mentioned a few times in this old thread.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1150850
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
I agree they should have dubbed "Omamori Himari". I could see Josh Grelle as our hero and Leah, Alexis, Terri Doty, Felecia Angelle, or Caitlin as Himari.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Speaking of shows that should have been licensed years ago, where's my damn Milky Holmes license?

It's got 4 seasons, 3 OVA, and a damn movie, but no license.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
If Escaflowne is any indication, they should have the ability to go and dub Tales of the Abyss. I'm pretty sure Sunrise would still have the materials..
That was one I was hoping for a release of, but on the other hand I highly doubt Funimation would get the VAs from the game, and probably just recast everyone like they did with Last Exile and Escaflowne.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Speaking of shows that should have been licensed years ago, where's my damn Milky Holmes license?

It's got 4 seasons, 3 OVA, and a damn movie, but no license.

The first season of milky holmes was licensed and streamed on Crunchyroll at one point, but the licensed seemed to have lapsed. I remember watching the first two series and it being pretty meh.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Happy to see Scrapped Princess rescued. Hope that this may mean Madman will be re-releasing it too...but, if not, I'll just import. Want SP to have next to Chaika on my shelf.

For me, it's the other way around. Had to order Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions from the UK. All hail region-free players! Laughing
peno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
FUNimation stated they wouldn't dub any of the sub-only Sunrise rescues, so Tales of the Abyss will be getting released sub-only.

That is as long as Funi holds the license. When will Funi's license expire, so someone like Sentai can pick it up and dub it?
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

That is as long as Funi holds the license. When will Funi's license expire, so someone like Sentai can pick it up and dub it?

woah woah woah. Even in sentai's hands, odds are they wouldn't dub it. Even Nichijou. The Tales of Abyss license could be with them for 10 or so years before renewing it again. Though I'm following pre 2010 licensing business practices so maybe licenses now have a shorter time frame of ownership.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
^Another thing is that Sentai stopped working with LA studios so even if they did dub it, it wouldn't have the video game cast.

As for how long licenses last, according to Lance (who used to work at FUNi), they last 5-7 years (and this old report on Dragon Ball backs it up a bit).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Another thing is that Sentai stopped working with LA studios so even if they did dub it, it wouldn't have the video game cast.

Yeah, that's a huge concern of mine. It's exactly why I was a tad annoyed with how the Xenosaga anime had none of the VAs from the game. I wouldn't say the new VAs ruined it (quite the contrary), but I wanted to hear Lia Sargent and everyone else from the game.

It's the same with Abyss; Tales of the Abyss still has one of the best dubs in gaming history period, so if the anime were to have been dubbed, I would want to hear Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Bosch, Nicole Karrer (the voice of Tear, it's confirmed, no arguments), Kirk Thornton, Stephanie Sheh and all the rest in their amazing roles, not some replacement cast whose voices try to imitate the original actors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8