• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Gundam 8th MS Team & Miller's Report, Gundam MS Igloo Anime on DVD/B

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese BD release of 8th MS Team had a newly animated short episode. I wonder if we'll get that on the American release?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
If there were 4-5 writers then half of them are uncredited. 08th MS Team only has 2 creditd writers. One did ep. 1-9 and the other did ep. 10-12.

I know that the 2nd director for 08th ms team is usually cited as a reason for the show's writing woes but to my knoweledge those are just rumors. I've even heard that supposedly the show's writing had already been finalized by the time the 2nd director took over.

As for the dropped character threads. Admirial Yuri is a bit of a cocky jerk to Giniahs in the first half, but his kindness towards his troops in the second half isnt necessarily out of character. In real life, people are kind to some and jerks to others. Giniahs may of had more backstory planned, but at the same time its possible the writer just never found a way to fit it in.

08th MS Team definitely had a colorful production history, most of all due the initial director, Takeyuki Kanda, dying in a car accident (his colleagues said he had a drinking problem). That's also why there's such a huge release gap between episodes 6 and 7.

Anyway, good to see 08th MS Team is finally being rereleased as it's one of my favorites in the franchise being a far more personal story than a political or military one. It's also interesting how they really expand the idea of multiple fronts on a war with what is essentially a Vietnam setting and do some neat stuff with how fights play out tactically. And then that theme song
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I think I'll age and die before they release SEED or G on blu ray Confused

And I'm waiting for Gundam 00. Will definitely double-dip for that to upgrade from my DVDs.

Topgunguy wrote:
IGLOO being sub-only makes me not want it at all.

It is a shame that even though these seem to be doing well that they still aren't producing new dubs for these things even now that they are getting to the "newer" stuff like IGLOO. It really would have been nice. Hopefully new things going forward at least that won't happen to following IBO.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm not really big into Gundam, though I love 0080 and G Gundam, but I do want to check out 08th MS Team, as I heard it's not as "Gundam" as the other Gundams (the same thing is often said about 0080 and G Gundam, after all).
Huh what ? 8th MS Team is Very Gundam in fact, lots of people use it as example of what the Norm of Gundam is, that is first and foremost a war story and the people who fight in it, its G Gundam that not Very Gundam ( which isn't a bad thing ether )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3