• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Submitted for Oscar Consideration

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Actually, there may be an alternative. Even if it misses out on this one, the film won't be dubbed in English by the time the nomination process is complete. So how about potentially nominating it for Best Foreign Language Film? It would eliminate Funimation as recipients, but be a significant win for Japan. Not to mention animated films have been nominated for the award before (e.g. Waltz with Bashir).

Submissions for Best Foreign Language Film have already happened, and Japan didn't choose Your Name as its entry. It wouldn't have done well in that category anyway; the foreign language category is infamous for heavily favoring "Oscar bait-y" movies even more than the rest of the Oscars, so a fairly light teen drama like Your Name wouldn't have had a chance there.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It should win but it probably won't. Sad
diefty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Sadly it will be ignored and whatever Disney/Pixar movie came out this year will win.
I think Kimi no Nawa deserves this but i dont think the Academy will be objective enough, specially when Kimi no Nawa really is one of the best animated films of the year and not just a thing for anime fans. Honestly i liked Koe no Katachi an awful lot as well and i would put both above Dory, Zootopia and maybe even Kubo.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if your name win this but after that last debacle concerning Princess Kaguya, this is just gonna be referred as "that Chinese fuc*ing thing" again. No, thank you. The western animation can hog all the glory for itself.
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think it would have been better to wait 'til next year to release the movie even with a limited run because if the movie proved to be successful they could have expanded the number of movie theaters screening kimi no na wa little by little. That way, the movie would have garnered much more attention from people and critics. Releasing it now just seems like a really bad decision, there's just not enough time for it to maybe cause a big impact. Moreover, I checked the list of animated movies to be released next year by the most prominent studios and the chances of it getting the nomination and even the award are much higher.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I actually agree with that one. Using that extra year to release an anime film stateside usually means that the film is on physical media/streaming by the time nomination season comes around and, as such, sending out "screeners" isn't as necessary.

Plus, the extra year gives the anime film a chance to be reviewed by "serious" broadsheet critics across the country who aren't able to catch it when it screened at the eligibility screenings in Los Angeles (or even if they were in Los Angeles at the time of the screenings, might not have been aware of it due to the deluge of end of the year Oscar screenings), should some of those Oscar voters who don't see everything base their Animated Feature vote on what "important" critics say instead of, say, what their kids liked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
As expected. But will it win? Doubt it.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
I just hope that the person who do the scoring is not racist, because the film is not in international language English.[/quote]
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
I know this movie is good but it's nothing. Even nomination to Oscar is nothing. In 2015 year Kaguyahime no Monogatari was nominated to Oscar and this movie was pure shit.

Your grammar makes it difficult to know what exactly you're trying to say here, but if it's that Princess Kaguya was a shit movie then you could not be more off the mark. And it more than deserved it's Oscar nomination (hell, it should have won imo).

It'd be undeniably awesome if this actually managed to nab a nomination, though I'm very skeptical of its odds. If Funi follows GKIDS' continuously successful campaigns then they might just have a chance. Though with The Red Turtle already sort of taking up the potential anime slot (I know it's not technically, but it has Ghibli ties, which is huge) and being directed by an Oscar familiar director, it may take Your Name's potential spot. And I'm sure one of GKIDS' recent properties will nab a requisite position as well. Only time will tell. All I know is, I really would rather Zootopia not win like so many others (including myself) expect, because I found even it's domestic competition to still be much better all around.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
I just hope that the person who do the scoring is not racist, because the film is not in international language English.

There is little in the world that could be more biased towards nationalistic choices than the Oscar.

The Oscar is a self promotion event for the American movie industry. Sometimes they nominated stuff outside of their little corner of the world but that's more of a symbolic statement saying: "we know that movies are made outside of America", give them a pat in the head and continue deeply fixated in their own crap.

Its worth noting that only 6-7% of the world's animatied movies are made in North America. But they get 93% of the best animated film prizes, which means there is a 200 fold statistical bias favoring American animated movies vis foreign ones: if you make an American/Hollywood animated film its 200 times more likely to win the Oscar than if you make it outside of Hollywood. Most animated movies are made in Japan and China with also more European animated films being made than American. Only one of these, Spirited Away, won the Oscar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
goatnuke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Actually, there may be an alternative. Even if it misses out on this one, the film won't be dubbed in English by the time the nomination process is complete. So how about potentially nominating it for Best Foreign Language Film? It would eliminate Funimation as recipients, but be a significant win for Japan. Not to mention animated films have been nominated for the award before (e.g. Waltz with Bashir).

Absolutely no chance for foreign film.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Showtimes have been posted for the Oscar-qualifying run in LA: http://www.laemmle.com/films/index/41531/2016-12-03?modal=&replace=#get-tickets
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2