Forum - View topic
The Biggest Animation Highlights of Fall 2016


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
That clip from Flip Flapers looked good, I may have to check it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1386
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
We've certainly got a lot of shows that look amazing this year, but you missed the best one.



Gakuen Handsome is saving anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
3rdHalf



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 39
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Waaat?
Vacuum Butt Cannon not on the list?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scytalle
Subscriber



Joined: 03 May 2011
Posts: 48
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This was a great article. Informative, well researched, and interesting. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

I'm happy to see some of the shows I thought were most visually impressive on there, as well as some shows I haven't yet started watching, but might have to after this.

It's also nice to learn about some of the names attached to these various projects. I've been following studios and directors, but it's always good to have more people to keep an eye out for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
#863661



Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber



Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2940
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh


I sure am anxious to see your well-reasoned argument in support of your position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
#863661



Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
#863661 wrote:
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh


I sure am anxious to see your well-reasoned argument for why that show has bad animation.


Did you even read the piece? He even admits animation isn't the show's forte, he just includes it because of the details. Hibike looks great but hasn't had any real highlight when it comes to animation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker
Subscriber



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 882
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Yuri on Ice! is that while the skating animation has been truly impressive, they've been cutting corners elsewhere and been close to deadline. Interestingly, they've been giving Crunchyroll an earlier version before final corrections so that Crunchyroll can simulcast without delays. So the Crunchyroll streaming version is significantly different from what has been shown on Japanese broadcast TV, differences than in some case exceed the cleanup for most shows going from TV to Blu-Ray and DVD release.

I can't really disagree with their decisions, and it's something that happens, especially when they must be pouring so much effort into the amazing 2D drawn skating sequences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber



Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2940
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
Did you even read the piece? He even admits animation isn't the show's forte, he just includes it because of the details. Hibike looks great but hasn't had any real highlight when it comes to animation.


Thanks for responding so quick. It's unclear to me how much close detail work matters to die-hard sakuga fans. Personally, I was very impressed by how the intricacies of the instruments were captured in the animation of the show's performances. I also think that the facial animations (expressions, eye motion, etc.) has been really stellar this season. All of this consistent attention to detail seemed to make up for a lack of sweeping or dynamic motion in the animation (or what the article's author refers to as "flashy" animation).

Regardless of whether that kind of stuff is important to you, it's clearly important to the person who wrote the article, and I'm not sure you can really claim that its only on the list because the author is biased towards Kyoto Animation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
#863661



Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The thing about Yuri on Ice! is that while the skating animation has been truly impressive, they've been cutting corners elsewhere and been close to deadline. Interestingly, they've been giving Crunchyroll an earlier version before final corrections so that Crunchyroll can simulcast without delays. So the Crunchyroll streaming version is significantly different from what has been shown on Japanese broadcast TV, differences than in some case exceed the cleanup for most shows going from TV to Blu-Ray and DVD release.

I can't really disagree with their decisions, and it's something that happens, especially when they must be pouring so much effort into the amazing 2D drawn skating sequences.


Everything past the first couple of episodes and the opening has looked progressively worse in Yuri on Ice. I haven't watched the latest episode yet but this scene from ep4 made me laugh. It looks so bad.

https://u.nya.is/fbbfct.webm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2853
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh


Yeah it does, but only because its so far and above all the other show that comparing them makes little sense, there not even on the same realm of existence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1617
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's not as bad as the f***ing election, but the lack of Shelter in this article AND the forum still baffles me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fencer_x



Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 239
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
The thing about Yuri on Ice! is that while the skating animation has been truly impressive, they've been cutting corners elsewhere and been close to deadline. Interestingly, they've been giving Crunchyroll an earlier version before final corrections so that Crunchyroll can simulcast without delays. So the Crunchyroll streaming version is significantly different from what has been shown on Japanese broadcast TV, differences than in some case exceed the cleanup for most shows going from TV to Blu-Ray and DVD release.

I can't really disagree with their decisions, and it's something that happens, especially when they must be pouring so much effort into the amazing 2D drawn skating sequences.


Everything past the first couple of episodes and the opening has looked progressively worse in Yuri on Ice. I haven't watched the latest episode yet but this scene from ep4 made me laugh. It looks so bad.

https://u.nya.is/fbbfct.webm


Hm. I would have thought that people posting on ANN would have SEEN anime before, but clearly you haven't, so to educate: THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. IN ALL SERIES. Animators are always under a deadline, and the version that hits the screen is oftentimes FAR from the finished product. The difference in animation quality once the discs come out will be the difference in the quality between the original Eva TV show and the recent movies--a world apart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kon'Doriano



Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 552
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
How can y'all leave Drifters out like that? Crying or Very sad That's messed up, I'd argue it deserves a mention too (the article is nice though, discrediting it is not my intention).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iamtooawesome



Joined: 02 Feb 2015
Posts: 351
Location: Thailand
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
How dare did they missed out Drifters? That's a pure organic shounen eye candy that slashes those generic moe loli shounen animes, the animation slayed just like hellsing. Yuri!! On ice has 2 versions and ofcourse the edited version is alot better than the 1 cr is currently airing. I would love to commend Magic Kyun! Reinessance the character design + animation is just pure gorgeous and it graduates from those generic shoujos imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group