• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Wolf's Rain, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
Funi getting Wolf's Rain right on the heels of Scrapped Princess takes care of two of the most significant 2000s Bandai licenses that had gone unrescued until now. Good on them, and hey, it actually is possible to re-release series with pre-existing subtitles and dubs without a 3-4+-year delay!

gabuhaha wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
I'll be interested to hear about the quality of the Wolf's Rain bluray. As far as I know, Japan never released a bluray so this will most likely be upscaled. If you already own the dvds, it probably won't be worth a double dip. The show was produced digitally so it's not like a remaster like Bebop or Yu Yu Hakusho.

Funimation's actual announcement says this:

Quote:
What is really great about this release is that Wolf’s Rain is only available on Blu-ray in US and Canada; Japan has yet to release Wolf’s Rain on Blu-ray. Funimation worked closely with the licensor on the up-conversion from standard definition to high definition in-house giving you the chance to watch Wolf’s Rain remastered in HD!
That bolded part is just empty spin, though. Afaik there's no indication Wolf's Rain was animated in HD like very few of its early/mid-00s contemporaries (a pretty short list limited to GitS:SAC, 12K, and Samurai 7), so as gabuhaha says, it'll be an upscale. Hopefully a decent one -- there's a lot of dark scenes with bountiful banding potential -- although I'm surprised the Japanese side is even allowing Wolf's Rain Blu-Rays over here at all, given the lack of BDs in Japan. I guess it must be enough of a failed/forgotten series in the JP market that they don't care about the reverse importation risks.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Wolf's Rain getting rescued.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES! Thank you Funi! I've always wanted this series on Bluray but I'm shocked that not even Japan has one out yet.

Welp time to sell my unopened Perfect Collection.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
This is really really good news, this was pretty big back when it first came out, but since then it has fallen to the wayside and is sadly hardly spoken about any more. Hopefully it can now reclaim the acclaim that it deserves, this show is up there with the likes of Bebop and has one the best endings in Anime.
Zalis116 wrote:
although I'm surprised the Japanese side is even allowing Wolf's Rain Blu-Rays over here at all, given the lack of BDs in Japan. I guess it must be enough of a failed/forgotten series in the JP market that they don't care about the reverse importation risks.
That is weird, from what I've heard the show did well in both JP and NA back when it came out. And even if that is untrue, they don't seem to mind releasing Blu-Rays for old shows that didn't well, like Outlaw Star.
doubleO7 wrote:
Materials. Same as all their other Bandai rescues. We've only just started seeing more of them move down the pipeline in over the past year or so. Hopefully we get a lot of them next year.
Rukiia wrote:
For those asking about Sunrise properties like Outlaw Star, reason why it is delayed along with many other rescues is because Sunrise is being slow on delivering the needed materials.
Couldn't they just sub-lisence from Anime Limited, they've released it on DVD and Blu-Ray so they have all the materials.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Materials. Same as all their other Bandai rescues. We've only just started seeing more of them move down the pipeline in over the past year or so. Hopefully we get a lot of them next year.
Rukiia wrote:
For those asking about Sunrise properties like Outlaw Star, reason why it is delayed along with many other rescues is because Sunrise is being slow on delivering the needed materials.
Couldn't they just sub-lisence from Anime Limited, they've released it on DVD and Blu-Ray so they have all the materials.

Anime Limited doesn't have Japanese reverse import fear which is why they were able to get it out no problem. If you share the shame BD Region as Japan they get finicky with their licenses/Bluray rights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Anime Limited doesn't have Japanese reverse import fear which is why they were able to get it out no problem. If you share the shame BD Region as Japan they get finicky with their licenses/Bluray rights.
Oh I didn't know that was the reason, I thought it only applied to recent titles. From what they said, it sounded like it was delayed because Sunrise was taking their time finding all the marital for Funimation to put together a Blu-Ray.

I do also wonder if they got all these titles as a bundle, like how in the old days licenses would attach failed title to a successful title. I know these titles didn't fail, as far as I know at least. It could just be that Funi wanted Cowboy Bebop and some of the others, maybe Escaflowne, and they had to get all these other titles.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that Funimation picked up Wolf's Rain but then again, it puts in the same spot with Bandai's old set; As much as I love the series, it still doesn't pass my "will I watch it again?" test.

The music's great, the characters are great, the art is great... the four clip shows in a row are sill four clip shows in a row... but those last five episodes, you know the ones I mean...

I don't know.
ladybastet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Awww Crying or Very sad I was so excited when I saw the headline then crushing disappointment when I read there would be no dub. Sure, it's fluff and I suppose the mystery genre isn't as popular but still; I wanted a dub (and Gosick).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, finally. Wolf's Rain is an unqualified masterpiece, and everyone should have the chance to own it. It normally takes quite a bit to make me go all misty-eyed, but just hearing a few seconds of certain songs from that show makes me get drippy. Yoko Kanno at her absolute best.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Ayyyyyy thas what's up! Very Happy Totally looking forward to Wolf's Rain the most
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Stoked, I really liked Dantalian I thought it was a really interesting show but so sad Funimation doesn't want to dub it because this is a show that really warrants one if you ask me. Still gonna get it because I've been wanting to watch it again and was weary about having to track it down so glad it's coming out. This is becoming a trend Funimation used to be the reliable dubbing company and it's just not the case anymore. Crying or Very sad
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain, yay! Very Happy And I was just commenting on this when Scrapped Princess was announced. Nice to see that FUNi believes the title still has some draw.

As for the upconvert, I've seen a lot of them fron FUNi over the years--some bad, some decent, a few surprisingly good. Can only hope...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
For shows not getting an official release, that's where fan dubs/abridged shows come in. However, it is best to ask the rights holders since fair use is so situational.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

We wish. Being in a different region rarely has any obvious effect.
Japan's BD box for Outlaw Star came out 2 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Oh I didn't know that was the reason, I thought it only applied to recent titles. From what they said, it sounded like it was delayed because Sunrise was taking their time finding all the material for Funimation to put together a Blu-Ray.
Though somehow they've managed to get materials for stuff like Victory Gundam and Turn A Gundam to Nozomi in pretty good time, while going through these ridiculous delays in getting everything except Bebop/Escaflowne to Funimation or even a single series to Sentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4