• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Japan's Superhero Legacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Funny enough, very recently I took the trouble of generating a list of 'Japan's Greatest Super-Heroes' for a collage I am planning to draw. The only rule I had for the list was, these characters must be able to reasonably coexist on Earth in a present, or near present, 'shared universe' (so no My Hero, because it's world is pretty tight on its own detailed history). Like their Marvel/DC counterparts across the ocean. I completely understand that Japan's super-heroes, mostly being creator owned (or at least more heavily creator controlled during their initial runs) means that shared universes are rarities, and crossover typicly fun non-cannon tales. But still, its fun to world build in your head how Astro Boy might deal with the Dinosaur Empire. Or Galactor.

I ended up with...

Astro Boy
Son Goku*
Kamen Rider
Skull Man
Cyborg 009 w/ Cyborg 003 & 001
Ken the Eagle w/ June the Swan
Devil Man
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
Tetsujin 28
Ultraman
Sailor Moon
Cutie Honey
Birdy the Mighty
Jotaro Kujo
Caped Baldy
Lupin III
Golgo 13

and of course, Japan's greatest super-hero.... GODZILLA

Superman and Co. don't stand a chance.

*kid version, because I always though kid Goku and Astro Boy need to have adventures together

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Heck, Gang Orca seems to be the MHA counterpart to Savage Dragon (vicious animal-like appearance, animal-themed powers and super strength, kind-hearted interior, collaborates closely with police, is the leader of a team he assembled, can be very silly at times). Not many American works of fiction reference him,and MHA may be the only published Japanese work to do so.

Oh my god.

Oh MY GOD.

King Orca is a Savage Dragon analog. This realization is blowing my mind.

I LOVE SAVAGE DRAGON.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Oh my god.

Oh MY GOD.

I LOVE SAVAGE DRAGON.

Okay, I'm going to have to confess that the analogy was not a serious one and the thought popped up on the spot as I was typing the comment. I was looking for a My Hero Academia character who parallels a superhero people don't commonly think about, and that was the first seed of the brainstorm.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Oh my god.

Oh MY GOD.

I LOVE SAVAGE DRAGON.

Okay, I'm going to have to confess that the analogy was not a serious one and the thought popped up on the spot as I was typing the comment. I was looking for a My Hero Academia character who parallels a superhero people don't commonly think about, and that was the first seed of the brainstorm.

Okay fair enough, I might have gotten a little exicited there.

Like Dino Cop excited (thanks Grant Morrison)

King Orca's more of a Mako any way
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
If the "Golden Bat" creator died at least 50 years ago, then the original "Golden Bat' version is now public domain. Superman certainly started the popularity, but the earliest comic superhero (at least American) has several candidates, like Lee Falk's Phantom.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
BUT MIKE, THIS THEME NEEDS A PART 2, SERIOUSLY. THERE ARE MORE JAPANESE SUPERHEROES YOU SHOULD TALK ABOUT. PLEASE PART 2.

I was always asking if Japanese Superheroes existed, because the mayority for me were shonen heroes(no joke)
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Oh my god.

Oh MY GOD.

I LOVE SAVAGE DRAGON.

Okay fair enough, I might have gotten a little exicited there.

Like Dino Cop excited (thanks Grant Morrison)

King Orca's more of a Mako any way

Horikoshi IS a Finhead, at the very least. He congratulated Larsen when #200 came out.

Plus, MHA does have it's own Finheaded hero...
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bokunoheroacademia/images/4/4d/Tenya_and_Manual_On_Patrol.png/revision/latest?cb=20151206014005
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2