• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saburouta's Yuri Manga Citrus Has Anime in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Let's hope they don't ruin it. I have a bad feeling about this.

Man, why can't they animate Girl Friends, too?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
kisses her out of the blue
So sexual assault. But it's cool because it's girls doing it.

No it's not okay. There's a lot that's not okay in this series.

As an ardent f/f fan, I'm not excited about the announcements of this or NTR. It seems like almost every time another yuri title is announced, it's a disappointment. We either get stuff like this, or super fanservice heavy stuff like Sakura Trick or Valkyrie Drive Mermaid or whatever.

Much of the time I actually feel safer watching stuff like Love Live and Sound! Euphonium that just teases the femslash, because I know at the very least it's not going to be gross for the most part, and that's a crying shame. Then of course, every once in a while I am pleasantly surprised by canon non-exploitative f/f in a show (i.e. Samurai Flamenco, Bodacious Space Pirates), and that's fantastic.

It sucks because there is sweet yuri out there that doesn't have weird, non-consensual vibes or infantilization. It's just not what's gotten adapted in recent years. I want representation in anime, but I don't want it like this. :\
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

It sucks because there is sweet yuri out there that doesn't have weird, non-consensual vibes or infantilization. It's just not what's gotten adapted in recent years. I want representation in anime, but I don't want it like this. :\

Such as Whispered Words (Sasameki Koto) for example. Which btw seemingly got very little hype or reception here. Shaem Girlfriends never got an anime series itself. Now I do like Citrus but I do admit there are some quasi non-consensual points in it. By the sounds of it NTR has Citrus beat in spades in that department.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Behold, in our darkest hour, the skies have opened and yuri has descended from the heavens to succor us in our need.

I at least was certainly greatly cheered by this announcement. Amid the laughable amounts of angst and generic drama devices – I really have actually guffawed while skimming back through it at the ridiculousness of some of the “twists” – there are moments where Citrus manages to convey, in a deeply compelling, empathetic way, the awkward struggling of an intense yet continually frustrated desire between two very different young women.

I won’t give spoilers, but the end of chapter 8, for example…that scene struck me as one of the most electrifying scenes of that kind I have seen in manga in recent memory. The sudden spark, the mutual welling up of each responding to the other…there have been other moments like that in the manga as well. Also, fairly recently, the manga has begun to address in a serious way the alienation that same-sex attracted people can feel. Certain events have brought Yuzu to really think about, and feel about, what that means to her as a person in the society she lives in.

In short, while I would never, ever demand anyone like Citrus, my own investment is, for better or worse, unambiguous. It has many faults, I agree, but also more strengths than I think people often give it credit for.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!! The long wait is almost coming to an end. Citrus is one of the few manga that I have followed for a long time and been hyping for an anime. Well deserve! As for NTR Trap, I think I need to read this and see what it made to have its own anime as well.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Dreams really do come true!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Hope they bring back the drama CD cast. Would love to see Ayana Taketatsu play the lead.

Same here. Hell, I find her being cast as Yuzu hilariously on the nose considering Taketasu's other infamous sister role.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From day one, happy-go-lucky Yuzu makes enemies, namely the beautiful yet stern Student Council President Mei. So what happens when a dejected Yuzu returns home and discovers the shock of her life: that Mei is actually her new stepsister who has come to live with her? Even more surprising, when Mei catches Yuzu off guard and kisses her out of the blue, what does it all mean?

Anime - telling stories we, the people, want to see!
VPedge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
ughh of all the ones they pick....
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to this, hell yeah. Some characters can be a bit annoying in the manga but I'm overall really liking it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Well, something about this series works, as it's consistently been on the NYT bestsellers list. I'll probably read it before the anime comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
It got boring for me so I stopped after 4, but I'll give the anime a try.
Kileymik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I read the first chapter and somehow it has
-student council pres/rebellious girl
-student/teacher relationship
-MAKES THEM STEPSISTERS to satisfy incest kinks
-and has black hair assault blondie
I wish anime would adapt some of the sweeter more respectful lgbt works in the medium instead of the fetishy ones
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
kisses her out of the blue
So sexual assault. But it's cool because it's girls doing it.

No it's not okay. There's a lot that's not okay in this series.

But there is also nothing wrong with telling a story about a character who is, essentially, broken and, at the beginning at least, angry and hurtful. (There are also extenuating circumstances.) In other words, if you haven't read it, don't judge. Yes, there are lots of issues and lots of things that are edgy in the series, but that is what the series is about. It isn't about light, sweet topics. In the long run, I expect it will be a story about the power of love to heal. It has certainly hinted at that so far.

I really hope it gets a full series, but even if it does it will probably not cover the whole story. I do wonder if this means that the manga is almost done and they are timing the anime for when the final volume of the manga will be done?
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Final volume?!
Please don't say such cruel things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3