• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV + movie + special) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Interesting episode. I really like how they are giving more depth about Tanya's military school life and what she's been learning. Not to mention, she is able to impress the higher ups about her theories regarding a possible world war.

The part where she messed up for her future position (the battalion) will really test to see if Tanya is ready for the challenge. I expect action to pick up again soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Tanya, Tanya, Tanya ... instead of trying to "shoot" Being X, you better get wise and start sucking up to Him/It/Whatever. I see a world of pain in your future if you persist in your stubborness.

I really love all the military bureaucratic intrigue stuff. Hearing Tanya espouse all these cyncial thoughts in a loli voice never fails to crack me up. So much for your cushy existence in the rear echelon, girlfriend!
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tanya is so devious. Yet I found it cute that she was too short to reach that book and that she had her own chair at the dinner table.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I love the look on Tanya's face every time she's forced to act girly, or has to contemplate girly things. It looks to me like a mixture of resignation, dismay, and "you know, I could get used to this...".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
Laughing Oh I was laughing here how you could say instead of shooting X, she has shot herself in the foot. Not just encouraging higher officers to put her in a dangerous position, but pretty much coming up with the position, all while trying to make herself look tough. There are always little bits too like how she had the equivalent of a booster seat at dinner party, she hated the food and with some stealthily snark compared it to the front lines, which misinterpreted the wrong way.

Man, I really like this show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Wow, this was pretty intense. I like the way that Tanya leads her battalion and the training session. It may seem brutal but will drill a vision into those soldier's minds to succeed. Not only that, I think Tanya can inflict psychological damage to their enemies.

Good episode, glad to see action return this week again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved Tanya's rather "cheerful" warning. Was that still Aoi Yuuki when Tanya did that? Damn, she's good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd be very careful if I was Cute Frog Face ... Tanya don't dig assistants who are TOO competent, heh-heh-heh...

Another cool eppie, but I have to admit, the whole time I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. As Tanya pointed out, the invaders were acting super incompetently (no air cover, no encrypted communications, using useless infantry tactics, etc) and I was assuming there was a reason for that ... that the Air Mage Battalion was being drawn into a trap, or something. Well, let's see what happens next time.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another cool eppie, but I have to admit, the whole time I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. As Tanya pointed out, the invaders were acting super incompetently (no air cover, no encrypted communications, using useless infantry tactics, etc) and I was assuming there was a reason for that ... that the Air Mage Battalion was being drawn into a trap, or something. Well, let's see what happens next time.

At first I thought so too, but now I feel like the invaders might have simply been incompetent. Soldiers marching out in the open wearing bright colored uniforms getting slaughtered by more "modern" weaponry and military tactics. Just like how it was at the beginning of WW1 when no one knew how modern war would play out.

So maybe the german leaders will now go "OMG! The new mage battalion repelled the massive invasion force by themselves AND attacked their capital? We gotta give them something more difficult next time."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow, this was pretty intense. I like the way that Tanya leads her battalion and the training session. It may seem brutal but will drill a vision into those soldier's minds to succeed. Not only that, I think Tanya can inflict psychological damage to their enemies.

The problem for Tanya was that it was not her intention at all, instead it seems her actual plan was to torture the soldiers until they broke and would leave, she even put her assistant down there. It was ironic that an event where she tried to show her power against them during it only made them more determined. Despite her plan she actually churned out battalion, and her speech at the end seemed to imply that a mixture of it and long term use of praying for god and the fatherland actually had her doing such a speech at the end.

And I am kind of guessing that glasses might have put Tanya at the South so that she would have a boring and long fight against a huge amount of opponents, that she might get discredited. But Tanya could see that the numbers really meant nothing with the superiority of her mages as long as they did simple safe strategies.

The factory part was hilarious, especially with her reaction to her own men reacting.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I also thought, at first, that Tanya's battalion might be getting drawn into a trap. But that's not really what this chapter (the 2nd half, anyway) was about. Tanya is someone from modern times thanks to remembering her previous life. Thus, she knows how air power works, just as she knows how modern warfare works (to a degree, anyway). At any rate, she knows enough to be able to make use of the fact that NO ONE ELSE knows how to use air power in her current time. Until they do, she's at a great advantage.

Presumably, in the West, they have a better idea of it, but in the SE, this hasn't happened yet. Thus, the enemy used traditional strategies, proven in previous conflicts. They would've been very effective if used against those at the same tech/magic level. Unfortunately for them, Tanya's people have advanced, and Tanya in particular is very capable of using modern tactics involving air power against societies that remain mired in the past. She shows that numerical advantages are useless if the gap is too large. But this situation won't last long. Other nations will see what happened and begin working on ways to counter it. Tanya was right to exploit her advantage as much as she could, because she likely won't get such an unprepared enemy ever again.

This show is, by far, my favorite of the season. I like the way they depict battles and general strategies, and I also like the characters. Is it a realistic show? Not at all, but there are aspects of it that are pretty realistic for the sort of world it occurs in: it has pretty good internal consistency, IMO, with Tanya herself being by far the most non-realistic thing in the setting. There are a lot of things going on at the same time in this show, and that's yet another thing that I like about it. I hope it can keep up this level for the duration.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Now Tanya has shown the superiority of her battalion against arguably even stronger tech mages, and in general air force. The air force thing though was all her, and she also took down an intelligence team out to get information. Being X though seems pretty happy with what is going on, saying the world is all fighting her. If I had to guess I would say that it is from those in HQ disregarding one of her warnings, that what they needed to do was to hammer down their front line, not try and push it forward because it would run the risk of getting others to retaliate, and that is what is happening. The people in command are pushing forward even with low supplies, and overall it is going to stretch them, and get the ire of them, and the different opposing countries seem to actually be working together no doubt from Being X. Historically she is probably worried that eventually alternate America will step in while they are weakened from long-term attrition, that just beating the countries around them won't mean as much as they think.

And after the credits, there is a funny bit involving her distaste of second hand smoke, something people ignorant about due to the time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I really like the detail that the show goes into with respect to military affairs. For example, rather than just treat supplies as some sort of magically inexhaustable resource, it actually highlights that even a strong power like the Empire has supply issues and its scope of action is limited by them. Most shows never bother getting into issues like that. I wonder what Alternative USA is called in this world? Trumplandia???
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
More reveal of the enemy characters. The content is getting heavy now, too bad i actually like the usual episode with lots of Tanya's inner thought and some comedy. I'm a little bit disappointed that we don't see much action from the battalion, just a few shooting of each group and the rest is Tanya. And i can't believe they were just stand still during Tanya's "if you score last, you pay" speech, when there were many enemies around. But it seems like production issues, like when Tanya use her grenade, there are some missing frames, instead the pilots gasp was too long, making the experience less fluid.

Even though short, that after credit is gold. Next episode recap... hmm more waiting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember second hand smoke times like that before smoking was banned in military facilities. For a time my work center was turned into the smoking lounge for the entire command, so everybody and their brother would come and light up.

Another great episode, and this show has turned into a must buy. Luckily, Funimation has it and not Aniplex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6