• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interviews with Monster Girls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

That was a fun episode. Kurtz's expression when he lies was classic. As was the fact that, of course, sweet Machi is the only one who doesn't pick up on it. I really want Tetsuo and Sakie to get together.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
So what was the deal with Kurtz? In it brought up specifically with succubi it made me think he was an incubus, Hikari mentioned that he even reminded her of Sakie. It would be the first male demi in the show, but no real confirmation.

A little side thing, the image of Sakie in the OP is in reference to a painting of an incubus.

It is rather an interesting peace culturally too that can talk of their relevance of a phenomena even in modern times, sleep paralysis. It is a phenomena where people wake up while their body is still left paralysed from when they are dreaming so they don't actually move around. It is common during these events to feel like there is a weight on your chest, and that some (malicious) figure is watching you, possibly even causing that weight, a kind of hallucination from coming straight out of dreaming. It is believed that recounts of incubi/succubi come from these experiences, branding them as dream demons that would "sexually assault" the victim. If you want to know how it can relate to modern times, it considered that recounts people have of being abducted by aliens, and including probing, were actually sleep paralysis, the hallucination just being influenced by sci-fi instead of ye olde stories of demons.

Yes, big nerd here, but it is really an amalgamation of a bunch of my interests and experiences. It is thought that experience really changed with cultural situations such as similar things with fairies, hags, and no doubt classic Japan had yokai connected. Although this is a little off topic to this show as a whole, apart from anime at the moment I have also really been back into apparently true horror stories including a bunch that are paranormal. Some of which involve things like sleep paralysis and yet others which people recall similar things such as fear and feeling of being watched out of the blue while wide awake (I have had my own experience this way). And I kind of think a lot of monster sightings from demons, fairies, djinn, yokai, shadow people and others, share similar parts as the similar phenomena through different cultural lenses with fear. I kind of have a point of this in how it relates in societal fears of differences that I think is a theme in this show, but it is just feeling like rambling.

I wanted more of teenage Sakie, of the struggles of being one of the few actually need to be policed. This show needs some conflict dang it!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Of the two new characters introduced this week, I like that Ugaki guy already. Seems like he has quite the intuition about demi-humans as well in a way that can be very useful for their school.

Kurtz is an amusing character. The way he responds with his brutally honest face got me laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
@ DP - yes, I wondered if Kurtz is an incubus as well. Not only did Sakie not have any effect on him, but it almost looked like at one point he was having an effect on her. I guess we'll just have to ask him directly ... if he denies it, we'll know by his facial expression if he's lying or not. Wink

I'm not sure why succubi have historically been considered monsters. If I woke up in the middle of the night to find a hot, naked chick sitting on my chest, I'd be delighted. Okay, sure, having my life force devoured would certainly be a drag, but remember there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've often seen Succubi depicted with horns, wings and hoofs. That's pretty monster-like. If I saw something like that I'd be inclined to go "DIE DEMON!!!" or "KYAAAA!!! GET AWAY FROM ME MONSTER!!!" Reasonable reactions, I believe.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why succubae have historically been considered monsters.

Truly religious priests and monks (as rare as they may be) are not supposed to have even thoughts of sex. Unfortunately, natural body processes produce nocturnal emission and rather vivid dreams to go with this. Since they couldn't admit that they had repressed thoughts of sex it had to be due to a demon. Enter the succubus. They wanted to be able to say "the devil made me do it"
Laughing

Quote:
Okay, sure, having my life force devoured would certainly be a drag

The "life force" in question is contained in a fluid you usually give up willingly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Wet dreams were also made a connection to. But succubi have not always been depicted only as a beautiful woman, apparently having something terrifying about them. I just took a look at the wiki article, and apparently it was considered a sin to have any sexual activities that were not procreative, so night emissions were evil. That alone shows them as a product of a very sexually frustrated culture.

Vampires also were not often depicted as very attractive far enough back. The idea was that they were revenants or a corpse that had been possessed by an evil spirit as to feed on life force. The look of a corpse was kind of the depiction.

Kind of wish that I knew more about Dullahan, but I do know that they were considered as unseelie (evil) fairy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Ah, this looks like a study based episode with the demi humans.

Also really interesting to see Satou during her past. She was such a badass during her school years! I thought this episode was a good way for the main characters to bond a bit while studying and also talk about their teacher.

Ha, Hikari actually put on her cape to fit more with her vampire character. Funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Really nice to see another episode that focuses a lot on Satou. I think she and Tetsuo has an awkward yet amusing chemistry when together alone. Nice to see that she shows a slightly different side of herself too. I think when she's with Tetsuo, she can be more herself.

That Yuki girl was also amusing this episode.

The way that Tetsuo treats the demi humans like they are ordinary people shows how kind he is.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree with Tetsuo. Yuki and Sakie having become manga trading buddies was a nice touch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if watermelons in Japan really are expensive? I know if Canada, they're pretty cheap.

I really like Ugaki's relationship with Sakie, too. He clearly sees her as a daughter figure and is doing his best to encourage her to try and lead as normal a life as possible.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder if watermelons in Japan really are expensive? I know if Canada, they're pretty cheap.

Yes, they can be. On my trip two years ago, I saw a market in Tokyo that had watermelons going for around $80 US!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! And to think that the fate of most of those will be to be split apart on a beach some where by a blind-folded person wielding a wooden katana...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
Sakie is the character I have most wanting to learn more about, so her interview happening was good. But at the same time I have found myself liking Yuki more lately, and both Machi and Hikari are also great characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I liked the sort of flip side with the trouble of a teacher, one worried that he was overreaching after being confronted over it by a superior. I think it is a good topic, one with multiple faces of maybe no one true answer, but I think in the end only highlights what a great influence a teacher can have on a student, especially at that age. When at an age that they might be thinking a dislike of adult authority figures telling them what to do, along with all sorts of other complicated things, letting down that barrier a bit and giving someone for them to talk to can really have a strong influence. I remember a while back an interest study or something where it showed to students a good teacher may have been one of their biggest influences as they go on in life.

And there was also that sensei got reduced to tears, that he felt like he was in the wrong and felt like he was helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5