• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Anime Moves to Disney XD in U.S. With Pokémon Sun & Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Extremely unfitting music.

That is nothing new at all. The most bizarre thing is they have the rights to the original music but choose to replace it anyway.

The move to another Network indicates to me that it's just another nail in the coffin for anime on American television. Some people might see that as a bad thing, but I think it's a good thing. Crunchyroll seems to be picking up a few more kids shows every season like Time Bokan 24, Monster Hunter, and Hey Bot. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get subbed Pocket Monsters so long as the license is in their hands, much like Digimon with Saban and Yu-Gi-Oh with Konami. Only newer franchises will benefit from this

ReifuTD wrote:
I'm shocked how many people here seemed to have Pokemon the only thing they watch on CN, unless they are exaggerating or something, I thought people would at least be watching Steven Universe or something witch is basally the CN's Avertar The last Air bender.

I don't even like Avatar but I find that comparison to be pretty flimsy. Steven Universe only seems to be popular with Tumblr-crowd. Avatar actually had appeal beyond those people since it came out before Tumblr was a thing. That's probably why Legend of Korra was so ill received by comparison. I don't personally find Steven Universe worth watching and I don't really think it's really comparable to Pokemon to begin with. They're two different types of shows.

-Stuart Smith

Last edited by Stuart Smith on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
All TV ratings are dropping there are numerous primetime TV shows on ABC and Fox pulling 18-49 ratings and viewers lower than Adult Swim anime on Saturday.

Two years ago 1.5 was terrible today it's fantastic.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
Anyway... with one fell swoop... CN has officially eradicated all anime off its lineup (not counting Adult Swim's Toonami block).

That's what I was thinking too--the Pokémon anime had always been sitting in the background, quietly bringing in money for Cartoon Network. I doubt the ratings tanked that hard.

I suspect one of two things: Either 1) Disney has offered to pay The Pokémon Company a huge sum of money to switch over--considering they have Doraemon and Yo-Kai Watch, they have much faith in kids' anime, or 2) Cartoon Network wants to get all non-Toonami anime off of its schedule.

Lord Oink wrote:
If you're someone who actually watches that dub, bad. Disney XD is a throwaway channel with lower viewership than Cartoon Network. Any show that gets thrown to a secondary channel like Disney XD or Nicktoons Network is viewed as not popular enough to justify being on the main channel and a sign of impending cancellation usually.

Disney XD is still a bigger channel thasn Discovery Family or Noggin, however, and most cable and satellite TV Disney Channel packets come with Disney XD.

It is the channel that's been showing Gravity Falls and Star vs. the Forces of Evil. If those two shows can catch on being on Disney XD, it ismost certainly not a throwaway channel.

Also, Garfield and Friends was thrown to at least four different channels (ABC, CBS, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon) and lived a long life. Futurama went from Fox to Comedy Central via popular demand. Heck, Pokémon itself used to be on WB before migrating to Cartoon Network. (It was still under the Time-Warner umbrella, but they're different channels.)

Animechic420 wrote:
I tell you what, if anime was put back on the morning and afternoon lineup, Cartoon Network's ratings will skyrocket again, just like in the good old days. Cartoon Network has made a big mistake...

More likely, I'd say someone at Cartoon Network didn't want to put up with the license fees anymore. Way easier to actually fully own as much of your programming as possible.

Animechic420 wrote:

Geez. I knew kids today were kinda stupid, but damn. They'd rather have their brains turned to mush than enjoy the types of anime we used to watch ON TV! :lol:

Oh, well.

Dadgum kids! They ain't know what they want these days! Back in MY days, we had the good stuff, yessirree!

romanmack wrote:
At the very least, we can admit that all kids care about nowadays in their programming is silly goofy fun. Action and any type of drama seems to be lost to them.

At the very least, back in the 90's/early2000's we had a mixure of silly and drama. Not so much anymore. And I think that's what turns many of us off, that kids just want nothing but silly fun now.

In all seriousness, I'd bet part of the reason behind that is the previous generation being obsessed with drama and action shows. Part of what defines a generation is its distancing from its previous generation, and I am certain the fall of action programming (besides comedy action shows like Sonic Boom and Transformers Rescue Bots) is largely because action shows are what today's kids' parents used to watch, and no kid wants to be like their parents.

(For the record, I find plenty to like in today's family programming.)

Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
At least it seems it wasn't removed due to pressure from hardcore Christian groups. But it sucks that CN prefers to show badly-designed American series. It just sucks now.

Well, I do quite like a lot of those "badly-designed American series."

Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Disney now has two famous rodent mascots...

And I have compleatly forgotten Cartoon Network existed. :lol: I mean the shows are so terrible. Just glad that anime fans don't need to sit through a ton of advertizements for crude poor quality shows. And isn't the reason anime is only on t.v late at night because not many people know about it?

Not quite. Shows like Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and One-Punch Man are pretty close to breaking into mainstream awareness. Some would say One-Punch Man already has. Just that the overall mainstream interest is pretty low for anime, at least compared to domestic animation.

Call me weird if you like, but I do sit through commercials. I often record as I watch, and I'll save the ones that stand out, like the absolutely creepy Play-Doh Doctor Drill-N-Fill.

ReifuTD wrote:
I'm shocked how many people here seemed to have Pokemon the only thing they watch on CN, unless they are exaggerating or something, I thought people would at least be watching Steven Universe or something witch is basally the CN's Avertar The last Air bender.

If you thought the Hatfields-and-McCoys type rivalry between anime and American animation has gone away, you are sadly mistaken. It is still difficult to discuss American animation on an anime-themed place and not get mocked and insulted, and the other way around. It can be frustrating at times to be a fan of both, because I get mockery and insults from both sides.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:

That was the Ocean dub of DBZ

No that's was the funimation dub i.e. the 2nd dub that aired on Toonami after the Ocean dub spent about 5-6 years total in reruns.

ReNellGlover wrote:
and Yu-Gi-Oh! was more popular than it is now

....That doesn't really take away from the hammy voice acting, silly edits, obnoxious music & everything being Americanized.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This is totally surprising to me. Prior to this announcement, I used to think that Disney X-D airing Pokemon in the US was just a fantasy and very unlikely to happen. But now it's actually happening!

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the Sun & Moon dub and reruns of the previous seasons on Disney X-D! Very Happy
elior1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
TyrannosaurusSergio151 wrote:
As long as the show doesn't get butchered to the extreme, then it should be good on Disney Anime hyper.

I don't have Disney Anime hyper anymore as my household got rid of cable in favor for basic and streaming services. I bet The Pokemon Company say Yo-Kai Watch's success on the channel (Akihiro Hino did say that the show did really well with ratings), and since CN hasn't done great with the Pokemon series (I keep hearing horror stories of Pokemon airing too early in the morning), decided to move the series. If anything, we'll probably get an hour "monster catching" block.

Only if Doraemon was still airing on the channel... Sad
i also fear they might butchered this season lively opening
elior1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Extremely unfitting music.

That is nothing new at all. The most bizarre thing is they have the rights to the original music but choose to replace it anyway.

The move to another Network indicates to me that it's just another nail in the coffin for anime on American television. Some people might see that as a bad thing, but I think it's a good thing. Crunchyroll seems to be picking up a few more kids shows every season like Time Bokan 24, Monster Hunter, and Hey Bot. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get subbed Pocket Monsters so long as the license is in their hands, much like Digimon with Saban and Yu-Gi-Oh with Konami. Only newer franchises will benefit from this

ReifuTD wrote:

I don't even like Avatar but I find that comparison to be pretty flimsy. Steven Universe only seems to be popular with Tumblr-crowd. Avatar actually had appeal beyond those people since it came out before Tumblr was a thing. That's probably why Legend of Korra was so ill received by comparison. I don't personally find Steven Universe worth watching and I don't really think it's really comparable to Pokemon to begin with. They're two different types of shows.

-Stuart Smith
have you watched the first 2 episodes of sun and moon? it seems it didn't turned out to be as bad as we were thinking based on the trailers
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...

Is it just me, or does Disney secretly want to make a deal with The Pokémon Company and do meet-and-greets with the Pokémon characters at Epcot? It seems that way since Nintendo seems to be leaving out the characters in their new themed land at the Universal Studios parks. It would be cool though, My hope is to see Pikachu in the Japan area of World Showcase.

That being said, this is a bizarre announcement. I never thought Disney would buy the broadcasting rights to Pokémon.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
@elior1: I only saw the first episode, yet, but I say it's turning even worse, than I anticipated. Not only they took everything they could from Yo-Kai Watch and tried to implement it to Pokémon world, but they are also trying to change the anime to some stupid harem school genre. Which, seeing what the target audience is and how old the characters are supposed to be, is especially wrong move IMO. The only thing I, quite surprisingly, liked, was the new art style. But that's not enough to save the anime for me, unfortunately.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]
romanmack wrote:

If you thought the Hatfields-and-McCoys type rivalry between anime and American animation has gone away, you are sadly mistaken. It is still difficult to discuss American animation on an anime-themed place and not get mocked and insulted, and the other way around. It can be frustrating at times to be a fan of both, because I get mockery and insults from both sides.

Oh man, that's a good way to put it. On a related note, a short while back, elsewhere where dubs were being talked about, I saw someone post "Ugh DUBS! I'd rather watch an episode of MLP."

Yeah. It'd be funny if it weren't so sad

Also, yeah, people are REALLY missing out not watching Steven Universe. It definitely goes into territory as dark as any shonen/all-ages Anime.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cain Highwind"]
leafy sea dragon wrote:
romanmack wrote:

Oh man, that's a good way to put it. On a related note, a short while back, elsewhere where dubs were being talked about, I saw someone post "Ugh DUBS! I'd rather watch an episode of MLP."

Yeah. It'd be funny if it weren't so sad

Also, yeah, people are REALLY missing out not watching Steven Universe. It definitely goes into territory as dark as any shonen/all-ages Anime.

Going into Dragonball Super after seeing Steven Universe I feel like a appreciate the slice of life moments of Super. Actually think that's the beast part of Super because it's not only one of the few anime that gets a laugh out of me but does it constantly. In the end I almost feel like I get the that get the same emotionally satisfaction from both DBS and SU specially with the last arc of DBS.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I think Funimation is better off licensing it instead...but without the Localized trainer and Pokemon names
MoMo990066

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
@ romanmack,

"Why do you think the only block that airs anime now, Toonami, airs at the dead of night on the lowest rated night for TV (Saturday). There's a reason for that. The mainstream doesn't care for it. "

Well that and also due to the fact most people who watch anime tend to watch it online legally or illegally.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
elior1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
@elior1: I only saw the first episode, yet, but I say it's turning even worse, than I anticipated. Not only they took everything they could from Yo-Kai Watch and tried to implement it to Pokémon world, but they are also trying to change the anime to some stupid harem school genre. Which, seeing what the target audience is and how old the characters are supposed to be, is especially wrong move IMO. The only thing I, quite surprisingly, liked, was the new art style. But that's not enough to save the anime for me, unfortunately.
the things i enjoyed the most in those episodes are the battle animation against this pokemon the 3 girls are more fun to watch and their interaction is good. also the z moves is cool to watch
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
I think Funimation is better off licensing it instead...but without the Localized trainer and Pokemon names

Yeah, that's NOT going to happen. The English names of the Pokemon are set in stone. In Japan, they had a "Lizardon" figure and underneath in English, it had "Charizard". The late Satoshi Iwata also referred to the red lizard thing as "Charizard". The English names are the least of one's worries. At least for the anime. Name changes, aside, the dubs are pathetic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6