• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Lagoon Manga Creator Rei Hiroe Plans 'Big New Dimension Project'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI: D. Gray-Man manga has restarted.

Also... Game of Thrones. Heard of it? Yeah... I started reading that when the first book came out in hardcover. Wheel of Time? Same thing, and the author died before he could finish it. So... yeah...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just as an FYI: D. Gray-Man manga has restarted.

Also... Game of Thrones. Heard of it? Yeah... I started reading that when the first book came out in hardcover. Wheel of Time? Same thing, and the author died before he could finish it. So... yeah...

Well Wheel of time had a pretty regular release schedule , just happened to be long running and the author dying unexpectedly. The same thing happened with Kaze no Stigma, author died mid arc basically.

Id honestly rather kind of have more Jorumungand than black lagoon at this point.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Well Wheel of time had a pretty regular release schedule , just happened to be long running and the author dying unexpectedly. The same thing happened with Kaze no Stigma, author died mid arc basically.

Id honestly rather kind of have more Jorumungand than black lagoon at this point.

You might want to look a bit closer at its release schedule if you think WoT was coming out on a regular basis. It did at first, but then, as the series progressed, it started to slow down, plus the books that did come out grew ever more bloated. Jordan almost despaired, but then he finally started to regain control of his series... then came down with an incurable disease and died not too long thereafter. Yes, it wasn't sudden like the Kaze no Stigma (IIRC), but he had to leave the last few books to another author.

Anyway, to get back on topic... I think our man Hiroe is at a loss on what to do with Black Lagoon, or he's just afraid of what it is doing to his mind, or maybe both. I watched quite a bit of Jorumungand, and despite how hard I tried to like it, I just... lost interest after a while. I think I lasted up until the kid joined up with the leader's brother. OTOH, I'm interested in seeing how Black Lagoon ends -- to see if Rock saves, and is saved by, Revy, or if they both spiral down into darkness, like a certain Russian mafia leader seems to have done.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

You might want to look a bit closer at its release schedule if you think WoT was coming out on a regular basis. It did at first, but then, as the series progressed, it started to slow down, plus the books that did come out grew ever more bloated. Jordan almost despaired, but then he finally started to regain control of his series... then came down with an incurable disease and died not too long thereafter. Yes, it wasn't sudden like the Kaze no Stigma (IIRC), but he had to leave the last few books to another author.

Anyway, to get back on topic... I think our man Hiroe is at a loss on what to do with Black Lagoon, or he's just afraid of what it is doing to his mind, or maybe both. I watched quite a bit of Jorumungand, and despite how hard I tried to like it, I just... lost interest after a while. I think I lasted up until the kid joined up with the leader's brother. OTOH, I'm interested in seeing how Black Lagoon ends -- to see if Rock saves, and is saved by, Revy, or if they both spiral down into darkness, like a certain Russian mafia leader seems to have done.

Ill be honest, I have been caught on fantasy in while and I got into the series well after it was underway, I don't think I was even born when it started. I do need to pick up WoT again, also want to try to reread that other long running series, the one that they made into a 2 season tv show.

Regarding Jormungand, I guess its supposed to be more dark humor while Black Lagoon is played more straight, but I basically see Johan and Koko as the counterparts to Rock and Levy. Also funny timing considering ANN just posted an article about new work from Jormungands creator.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

You got that far with Jormungand and stopped? there was only like 3 or 4 episodes after that and then it ended. conclusively too, it adapted all the manga volumes right up to the finish. tho I see why you would honestly, I almost did too.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ultimatehaki"]
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

You got that far with Jormungand and stopped? there was only like 3 or 4 episodes after that and then it ended. conclusively too, it adapted all the manga volumes right up to the finish. tho I see why you would honestly, I almost did too.

I thought Jormungand was kinda tasteless when I watched it the first time because Jonah was still basically employed as a soldier by Koko even though he is a child. But after watching it a few times it's really grown on me. The last story arc is more grandiose than I would have liked, but eh.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

I think it was more like 5 or 6 episodes, but maybe it was only 3 or 4. It really doesn't matter. Story is the main thing that drives me to watch a show, but part of that is caring about the characters and/or their situation. I just... stopped caring about them. It's not something I did consciously, but it is something that happened. Why would I want to spend another hour+ watching a show where I didn't care what was going to happen or about who it happened to? There are other things I can do with my time, so I did those other things. I don't hate the show, I just became apathetic towards it -- something that never happened with Black Lagoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2