• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Many anime made me cry, but Fancy Lala is the one that did it three times, so it's my favorite tearjerker anime despite its cutesy, optimistic nature.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
There are only two anime that make me straight up cry (although a few make me get misty-eyed): One Piece and Steins;Gate. With One Piece, I always cry when I watch spoiler[the Going Merry's funeral, especially when it apologizes to the Straw Hats and they start crying]. That scene is just the perfect resolution to that subplot and shows how important spoiler[the Merry] was to everyone. In Steins;Gate, I always cry at spoiler[Suzuha's letter because of how much it contrasts with the hopeful scene right before and with Suzuha's generally upbeat character.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I sympathize quite a bit with Nick Creamer here; as i've gotten older, it feels like I've gotten to the point where it's easier for me to get emotional. I've definitely gotten teary eyed from anime; the aforementioned Trigun scene (spoiler[more for Millie's reaction though, for me]), a key heroic sacrifice in Claymore, and several scenes in Madoka.

However, I only recently watched an anime that made me genuinely weep, and if you haven't watched it before it will sound a bit ridiculous; Hunter X Hunter episode 135, "This Day × And × This Moment". The way that episode ended is heartbreaking;spoiler[ Meruem achieving humanity only as he faces his inevitable death, his loyal retainers meeting pathetic ends, and most of all Komugi's joyful willingness to spend her last moments playing chess with her best friend.] I hadn't wept in 12 years, but that put me over the edge.

Edit: I have to add Kill la Kill here, now that i remember it; in the last episode when spoiler[Senketsu burns up in the atmosphere, the scene is so quick that it's a shock, and hits even harder than if it had been drawn out; then that's immediately followed by Satsuki LOSING IT, sprinting to catch Ryuko while frantically calling out for her sister to wake up, in here first emotional display of the series]. It definitely caused some dust to hit my eyes, tell you hwat

Last edited by Merxamers on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, like Rebecca, I tear up in almost everything, most recently Grimgar, but it isn't quite as often that I break down seriously crying. Unfortunately for me, the last time it REALLY hit me was while watching The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya in a public theater with dozens of people around me. It was sort of embarrassing, but I managed to avoid awkward stares thanks to my extra large hoodie.

That film connects with me on so many different levels. The gorgeous artwork in motion, by itself in certain scenes, is enough to bring my feelings right to the surface. But combining that with such a potent story about growing up and living life through all of it's unfairness and many hardships, just really knocked me out. Crying or Very sad
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako, episode 23. I'm still not over it, I can watch that scene soundless and still be on verge of tears. Some others include Blood Blockade Battlefront, I don't remember exactly the episode, the one with the burger alien. While rewatching I paid more attention and I was like "Oh, daaamn". Gosick's ending got close too.

Can't say I actually went and cried in those, but I did actually cry in the Pokémon episode in which Ash almost releases Pikachu...and that was on Christmas day goddamnit!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, Wolf's Rain made me cry so hard during the scene where spoiler[Toboe dies. I knew he was doomed, but it still didn't prepare me for his death because HE WAS MY FAVORITE WOLF. Considering the show was about the apocalypse, I had to repeatedly say this to myself- what were you expecting, a happy ending?]

Madoka was an anime that made me bawl at two points. spoiler[1) Homura euthanizing Madoka before she can become a Witch. 2) Madoka saving the magical girls in the past, present, and future, although those were happy tears.]

As for what I'd add, Sailor Moon's original ending made me cry buckets. I didn't even have the nostalgia excuse for that one, since the first time I watched it was last year. Welcome to the NHK's final arc wasn't so much a tearjerker as much as it was plain depressing, to the point where I felt down for hours after finishing the series. Most recently, Tokyo Ghoul's Season One finale and the ending to Noragami's Episode Five were THIS CLOSE to making me sob. Those were the ones I could think of off the top of my head.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting choices by the ANN writers. Utena is a brilliant, extremely challenging series, but I never took it for a tearjerker.

My personal choices:

Maison Ikkoku:

After almost 90 episodes of back and forth and much silliness, spoiler[ Godai finally pops the question, whilst carrying Kyoko's drunk father on her back (who has been opposed to their union for a long time)

Kyoko , (who to be honest has been procrastinating on the whole Godai issue) finally gives her answer to him:
Promise me... that even if it's by one day... you'll outlive me.

At that moment it just hits you as a viewer; the immense loneliness and pain she must have felt after the death of her first husband. How her happy facade was just that, a facade. Tear jerking stuff ]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Episode 82. Enough said.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
One anime that always gets me crying is Air. When spoiler[Misuzu ran to her aunt yelling "Mama!"], it always gets me right in the heart. Clannad is equally guilty of doing the same with spoiler[Fuko fading away at her sister's wedding, along with that heartwrenching song playing].

The first time an anime ever made me cry was definitely Sailor Moon in regards to spoiler[Nephrite's death, and the DiC dub's new music for that scene actually upped the sadness factor more than I could take].

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Aww, damn it. There were a lot of anime that made me crying. But the one that I can bearly think of with breaking into tears Angel Beats........

Jesus, that ending was sad as f*uck. spoiler[THEY GRADUATED!] Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain everytime. Even just Yoko Kanno's score can get me misty eyed.

There are a few others, but they are mostly just first time watches, and I'm not crying anytime I rewatch it. These include Millennium Actress, AnoHana, Silver Spoon, Toradora, and probably more if I really tried to think on it.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Anime (and films and books) don't usually make me cry. It's not a negative or positive, just how I respond. A good, emotional series imparts excitement or anxiety or frustration on me. Penguindrum, for example, left me wrestling with my thoughts, and that was an amazing feeling. Many series make me feel sadness or melancholy, but they don't usually make me cry. Sometimes, though, their themes lead me down a rabbit trail until I cry at the real-life equivalents. If that counts.

Oh, I did shed a few tears at the end of Anohana. But...it honestly felt like I made myself because everyone was talking about how they had? So it felt weird, unnatural, and short...I didn't even like the ending that much, since it veered into an overly long spoiler[spirit fade that, looking back, was sort of humorous.]

That said, the staff picks are interesting, though I haven't seen all of them. I totally get Madoka and Wolf's Rain. Though I have to admit, I've seen people bring up Silver Spoon a few times, and I still find it puzzling.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Somehow anime is very powerful for me. Even if the moments are not sad per se, like when a beloved character dies, it has the power to make me cry like a little baby.

The last show I watched that left me crying without stopping was K-ON season 2 and its movie. I loved the sense of nostalgia I got from every episode, and Ep. 20 and 24 were beautiful and exicitng, and on top of that were emotionally tiring and rewarding. spoiler[Hearing Mugi's inconsolable crying was heartbreaking, as well as the fact Yui couldn't stop making plans even though they wouldn't perform at the school anymore. And the last song dedicated to Azunyan was beautful and a great closure to her own character arc.] And the movie was just a remember that I wouldn't see the girls together again which was even more sadder.
Xator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Leaving aside Utena and Wolf's Rain, I think that a scene that gets me very emotional is the conversation between Ashitaka and Moro in Princess Mononoke. Ashitaka looking from the top of a rock at the forest, one step from jumping off the cliff and meet his demise to end his own suffering, and Moro reminding him that it's the easiest solution to his problems. I'm not sure if Ashitaka really had suicidal thoughts at that very moment - it's probably a personal headcanon - but the notion of him deciding to not do it and strive to live forward against the adversity just gets me.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Anime I blubbered at:

I cried when Wizardmon died in Digimon Adventure when I was watching that as a kid. I still have all kinds of Digimon feels buried deep inside me to this day.

Wolf's Rain for sure - binge-watching the last five episodes at 3am when I was in high school was not the greatest plan for dry eyes for me.

The end-ish of Gankutsuou when spoiler[the blond best friend died.] Like, I knew that series was going to be a tragedy, but that was my favorite character! How dare!

A couple certain episodes of Natsume Yuujinchou always give me heavy feelings. Especially the part where spoiler[young Natsume breaks down crying and pretty much begs to be adopted by the Fujiwaras.] I relate heavily to Natsume and his struggles with learning to form bonds with people, so I can always count on that show to hit me right in the feels.

Edit: I forgot to add The Eccentric Family. My god. Tanuki feels.

Last edited by Wingbeats on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
the ending of The Last Naruto the Movie made me cry

don't judge me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11