• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There More Classic Anime Kickstarters?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Kickstarting an entire anime production isn't exactly feasible. Under the Dog kind of proved that way too much money is required to get even one episode funded, let alone a movie. However, I do see a lot of potential in crowdfunded English dubs. Dubs make anime more accessible, but some series release with less than stellar dubs due to budget constraints and some don't even get dubs at all for one reason or another. Crowdfunding a dub takes all the financial burden off of the Licensor(Licensee? I always get them mixed up.) and if people are willing to throw enough money at it then higher quality dubs can be produced.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
But when companies start leaning on Kickstarter as their main method of publishing/ gauging interest/ funding, then I start to get concerned about the companies future.

Why? The up-front money has to come from somewhere, better from pre-orders than borrowing from the bank.

The small company we order hay from for our guinea pigs work kind of on this model. Customers can pre-pay (however much they want), and they use that money to pay the farmers or reduce the balance outstanding on the money they borrowed to pay the farmers. They credit pre-pay customers with 110% of the amount pre-paid. It's a win-win all round.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
With other words: International crowdfunding is possible IF you have the region rights for it.

Fair enough. The simple fact that those projects were all on Kickstarter still gave them a notable edge & advantage, as shown by how Skip Beat bombed hard on IndieGoGo.

Nyren wrote:
Kickstarting an entire anime production isn't exactly feasible. Under the Dog kind of proved that way too much money is required to get even one episode funded, let alone a movie.

The question for Answerman has nothing to do with crowdfunding an entire production. It was about using a site like KS to help bring over older anime that's already been made, i.e. paying for production costs like (re-)subtitling, timing, editing, etc., or even simply producing English dubs. To be fair, I don't think any crowdfunded anime project has ever been for actually paying for the license itself. Pied Piper (Ann) did try to do that somewhat with the IGG campaign, but decided to take on the license cost burden herself in order to keep the original funding goal low enough on the KS second try.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
for this specific case, it sounds like the only time it was better to use kickstarter than directly funding is when the kcikstarter fails, that the company does not lose (much) money since the project was doomed to fail anyway.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
If Funimation just started creating a new dub and none was interrested in it then they throw away a lot of money if the sales failed. With this they basicly had people preordering it.

I really dont understand people like you having a problem with it.

I know that classic Sailor Moon is a way bigger title than Escaflowne, but Viz decided to create a new dub for a 200 episodes show that first aired 24 years ago without a Kickstarter.

Funimation fooled fans with their Escaflowne Kickstarter. And because of that I am kind of glad that Funimation is not having a fun time fulfilling the rewards for it.

I think that's the answer right there. Sailor Moon is extremely bigger than Escaflowne, and on top of that Viz has a brand new Sailor Moon Crystal to piggyback it together with. Escaflowne is old and has nothing new in the works and didn't run nearly as successfully on US TV. If they had planned on using the old Bandai dub, which they said became difficult with the new blu-ray remastered materials, then they probably would have done just a normal release, whereas making the new dub they needed to know if the show was still "hot" enough.

I don't see how they fooled anybody. Though it's true they should have posted a Kickstarter update that all the DVD sets that were bonuses at some of the higher tiers were shipping separately right after the main reward sets went out. That would have been really easy since they didn't have any trouble sending out relatively regular kickstarter updates.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I've had such mixed results with Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites like AnimeSols. I've come to expect that all rewards will be received after the estimated delivery date to the point that that doesn't bother me. I've been very happy with all KS projects run by Sekai Project. I wish I could say the same for those being run by AwesomeJapan, AnimeSols (N/A now) and DMP.

The two issues for me are communication (both with backers and with those who hold the rights to the property) and pledge fulfillment. I don't need weekly updates, but at least a once a month progress report would be nice...even if it's to say that things are still being printed/produced. Make sure you receive clearance from the copyright holders or artists of the property you're promoting before you create rewards. DMP has a history (ie. Sakira KS) of promising that things will be autographed and then, not only failing to delivery but also failing to inform their backers of this issue. While backers might be frustrated if you can't deliver what was promised, they're going to be even more angry if you still fail to give them what was promised without notifying them first. In DMP's case, this has made me reluctant to support them not only through KS but on their retail sites as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I bet Funimation will start a kickstarter for banner of the stars 1 and 2 + crest of the stars. Because the current dub is just so bad while the anime itself is amazing. I think somewhere in 2017 Funimation will start a KS funding campain.

They don't even have all of Crest/Banner so what would be the point? FUNi only licensed what Bandai had and Bandai was missing some parts of that series, including it's sequel, Banner of the Stars 3.

If anything out of that Sunrise bunch would be better fit with having a Kickstarter for a dub, it's Tales of the Abyss.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
One more problem with Kickstarter. You might be subject to iDubbbz's legendary Kickstarter Crap series.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Gauge. They wanted to gauge interest.

Whenever I see the word "gauge" I think of something (someone) else. Man, what I would give to relive my teenage years. Discovering those wonders of the internet. I wouldn't change a thing.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
If Funimation just started creating a new dub and none was interrested in it then they throw away a lot of money if the sales failed. With this they basicly had people preordering it.

I really dont understand people like you having a problem with it.

I know that classic Sailor Moon is a way bigger title than Escaflowne, but Viz decided to create a new dub for a 200 episodes show that first aired 24 years ago without a Kickstarter.

Funimation fooled fans with their Escaflowne Kickstarter. And because of that I am kind of glad that Funimation is not having a fun time fulfilling the rewards for it.

I think that's the answer right there. Sailor Moon is extremely bigger than Escaflowne, and on top of that Viz has a brand new Sailor Moon Crystal to piggyback it together with. Escaflowne is old and has nothing new in the works and didn't run nearly as successfully on US TV. If they had planned on using the old Bandai dub, which they said became difficult with the new blu-ray remastered materials, then they probably would have done just a normal release, whereas making the new dub they needed to know if the show was still "hot" enough.

I don't see how they fooled anybody. Though it's true they should have posted a Kickstarter update that all the DVD sets that were bonuses at some of the higher tiers were shipping separately right after the main reward sets went out. That would have been really easy since they didn't have any trouble sending out relatively regular kickstarter updates.

Fox Kids aside, Escaflowne wasn't an unsuccessful title in the US. It was one of Bandai's best sellers and is still a well regarded show. Its HD debut was always going to sell.

The Escaflowne Kickstarter was a fairly weak showing from Funimation, with a severe lack of transparency. In fact, I'd say if they weren't an established company, I might have thought it was a scam. Before the KS even went live, the original dub was already set to be included in the UK BD (authored by the Answerman himself), so the excuse that it wouldn't work in HD was always poor. Funimation unofficially admitted that themselves when they included the first dub as a bonus on all of their Escaflowne releases. They also promised a funding breakdown (last paragraph) that never happened during the campaign and only confirmed that they were recording the new dub internally after the project was a success. The latter might sound like a no-duh, but when the project launched they were not firm on whether they'd bring the old cast back or not:

Quote:
That was all the sort of nitty-gritty that I needed. The other big question is, of course, is the intention to get back and rerecord that dub with those actors, or are we gonna get a fresh cast?

Lauren: So we don't have a cast at this point, we're still obviously looking into that. That's something we'd really have to wait until it's funded before we start really sort of casting and testing that part out.

Then two weeks later, after the campaign was successful and funding was guaranteed (Kickstarter rules mean that once you hit the basic goal pledges can't be withdrawn to make it go below), they started announcing cast members. Given they mapped actor reveals at every $10k interval, they either cast the entire show quickly, or had already begun work before the campaign went live, which meant they could've ruled out Ocean on day-1. I'm basically implying they intentionally went for plausible deniability to not hurt initial funding. I'll admit that is tinfoil hatty, but even if it is 100% conspiracy, they really should've had a cast list on day-1. The campaign was to fund a new dub and they didn't tell you who'd be making it, or who would be in it until they had a lock on the money. Laughing

Then there were the fulfillment issues ... If Funimation does another Kickstarter, I hope they've kept some notes from this one.

Nyren wrote:
Kickstarting an entire anime production isn't exactly feasible. Under the Dog kind of proved that way too much money is required to get even one episode funded, let alone a movie. However, I do see a lot of potential in crowdfunded English dubs. Dubs make anime more accessible, but some series release with less than stellar dubs due to budget constraints and some don't even get dubs at all for one reason or another. Crowdfunding a dub takes all the financial burden off of the Licensor(Licensee? I always get them mixed up.) and if people are willing to throw enough money at it then higher quality dubs can be produced.

Unfortunately, a bigger budget doesn't always equal a better dub. The Kickstarter for a Wakfu dub hit 600% of its goal, and frankly isn't very good. Though, in that case I suspect they probably severely underestimated costs.
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Fox Kids aside, Escaflowne wasn't an unsuccessful title in the US. It was one of Bandai's best sellers and is still a well regarded show. Its HD debut was always going to sell.

The Escaflowne Kickstarter was a fairly weak showing from Funimation, with a severe lack of transparency. In fact, I'd say if they weren't an established company, I might have thought it was a scam. Before the KS even went live, the original dub was already set to be included in the UK BD (authored by the Answerman himself), so the excuse that it wouldn't work in HD was always poor. Funimation unofficially admitted that themselves when they included the first dub as a bonus on all of their Escaflowne releases. They also promised a funding breakdown (last paragraph) that never happened during the campaign and only confirmed that they were recording the new dub internally after the project was a success. The latter might sound like a no-duh, but when the project launched they were not firm on whether they'd bring the old cast back or not:

Quote:
That was all the sort of nitty-gritty that I needed. The other big question is, of course, is the intention to get back and rerecord that dub with those actors, or are we gonna get a fresh cast?

Lauren: So we don't have a cast at this point, we're still obviously looking into that. That's something we'd really have to wait until it's funded before we start really sort of casting and testing that part out.

Then two weeks later, after the campaign was successful and funding was guaranteed (Kickstarter rules mean that once you hit the basic goal pledges can't be withdrawn to make it go below), they started announcing cast members. Given they mapped actor reveals at every $10k interval, they either cast the entire show quickly, or had already begun work before the campaign went live, which meant they could've ruled out Ocean on day-1. I'm basically implying they intentionally went for plausible deniability to not hurt initial funding. I'll admit that is tinfoil hatty, but even if it is 100% conspiracy, they really should've had a cast list on day-1. The campaign was to fund a new dub and they didn't tell you who'd be making it, or who would be in it until they had a lock on the money. Laughing

Then there were the fulfillment issues ... If Funimation does another Kickstarter, I hope they've kept some notes from this one.

Nyren wrote:

Unfortunately, a bigger budget doesn't always equal a better dub. The Kickstarter for a Wakfu dub hit 600% of its goal, and frankly isn't very good. Though, in that case I suspect they probably severely underestimated costs.
The director is typically just as important as the voice cast. Their direction can make or break a dub. Also depends on where its recorded too.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The idea that Funimation needed a Kickstarter to gauge whether or not a new dub was feasible is marketing bullshit spin. Funimation knew Escaflowne would sell well based on how it did for Bandai and the fact that it is one of the most popular titles of the 90's. I'm upset that they just used their regular in-house dubbing studio instead of springing for a more expensive,quality dub from Cali. More offensive was Funimation's lack of clear communication with backers on what would be exclusive (which amounted to next to nothing) I hope Funimation lost money on this endeavor and the backlash was severe enough for them to rectify this mistake from occurring in the future.
atyamamoto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

This is Ann from Pied Piper (Time of EVE and Skip Beat campaigns on Kickstarter).

As always, Justin's articles give the lay of the land and also the details that matter.

I'm especially interested in the reasons why "traditional" distributors don't do Kickstarters for their more niche titles. I've seen titles that have made me think, "Oh, with crowdfunding this title it could have been a much better release!!"

The article explains the main reasons -- rightsholder jitters about crowdfunding, and the sheer amount of hours needed to execute a campaign.

I'd like to add another, based on my own experiences. I think that crowdfunding requires a different approach to the localization process. Since the backers are stakeholders, it works best to involve them in the decision-making process along the way. Not just one-sided announcements, but those times when you really don't know what to do, and you need input.

My sense is that for a "traditional" distributor, those kinds of discussions with fans are frowned upon --

First, there is too much potential for raising expectations and having it all backfire. Like "but you said xxx was an option, but now it's not? What happened? Argh!!!" But, I think the dynamic is different with crowdfunded projects. I think backers recognize that all parties (the distributor and Japanese rightsholder) are doing their best for the title; so, it's OK to be more transparent about decisions during the localization process.

And second, the localization process needs to be streamlined for maximum efficiency. Involving another stakeholder (i.e. backers) in the process slows things down, which is bad. When a project is tailored for crowdfunding, backer involvement is built into the process. So it's not a hiccup in the production process, but rather an essential element in the process. I think that "traditional" distributors probably don't have the leeway to tailor their production process for crowdfunding.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks to Justin as always for a great article, and for the great discussion. I'm really interested in reading more comments.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

So wait...the original dub is on the standard release after all? My main beef with that Kickstarter was that a new dub seemed extremely unnecessary (the "director's cut" scenes are like 8 minutes total across the entire series and largely extraneous), and I was miffed that the original dub was only being tossed on a bonus set of DVDs in the limited edition, but if they wound up putting it on the Blu-rays regardless that makes the whole thing even sillier. It does wind up making me much more likely to eventually double-dip for them though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

I don't see how they fooled anybody.

But you're being fooled right there; Maybe you'd have a point prior to the era of the Simuldub but these days, Funimation are throwing dubs at shows that probably shouldn't even be licensed. Dubbing one known quantity is a bigger risk than dubbing a show that may not only finish poorly but be cancelled prior to its last episode?

Another thing I didn't like was that Funimation was using the original dub as a bludgeon to get people to give more money. And I'm still seeing reviews of people wondering why the original dub wasn't on the standard DVDs. Why wasn't it? Kickstarter exclusive, nothing more. They have it but they're not going to do anything with it... for now.

But with that said, I would be in favor Funimation Kickstarters for shows that wouldn't be dubbed at all otherwise.

For example, Nichijou; I'd trade every one of their Simuldubs from this year for a dub of Nichijou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3