• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - December 16th - December 22nd

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
This week's Click wrote:
Byzantium?

Istanbul.

Oh dear, I feel a Bette Midler song coming on here (if you've ever heard her two disk Live album from the 1970s, you may get this joke)? Razz.

I wanted to say that while Trinity Blood uses some Biblical names, the show pulls more from Renaissance history. Caterina Sforza and Francesco di Medici (the names of the two siblings that run the Vatican in the series through their younger brother, the Pope) are the real names of people from history (the di Medici's are a very famous family that ran Florance Italy circa the 15th Century).

So I'm not surprised a person raised as a Morman wouldn't have heard about any of this in church. This is stuff you would hear about if you take history classes in college and/or have had to study anything about the Catholic church (also, while much of the stuff is based in real history the show seems to be having a fun time twising things to fit the fictional plot set in the future Smile ).
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Caterina Sforza and Francesco di Medici (the names of the two siblings that run the Vatican in the series through their younger brother, the Pope) are the real names of people from history (the di Medici's are a very famous family that ran Florance Italy circa the 15th Century).
Hey, didn't notice Ms. Sforza 'til now. Funny. Just for the record, that's the family that ruled Milan the same era as that of the Medici's Florence.

Man, I just love Japanese historical/cultural butchery for coolness factor. NGE, anyone?
lazylii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
the conversation was hilarious, almost believed his case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2