• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime in Consideration for This Year's Animated Short Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Was Shelter a potential option? I wouldn't really expect it to win or anything, but that seems like a pretty high quality piece of work that would go over with a pretty broad audience.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Despite the entire Japan Animator Expo? Really?
35 titles is like, a lot to watch, these people have lives!
They wouldn't have to watch all of them though, they would watch which ever on is on the short list.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The animated shorts Oscar never gives the prize to non-English stuff, not just Japanese: Russian, Chinese, Korean, Brazilian, etc, animation never is nominated. Only western stuff is ever considered. Foreign stuff is specially hard to come in terms of animated shorts since hundreds of shorts can be found from any region of the world.

So it's normal: the Oscar is a self promotion event for the Hollywood studios. It's not made to pay homage to "foreign" cinema. I don't know why people talk about it here at all: this is a site about East Asian modern visual culture, more specifically East Asian animation, why talk about this American self-promotion event just because they are ignoring East Asian animation? I mean, is it really THAT important?

relyat08 wrote:
Was Shelter a potential option? I wouldn't really expect it to win or anything, but that seems like a pretty high quality piece of work that would go over with a pretty broad audience.

Shelter features very traditional "otaku manga style" of art of a sexualized female character with very distorted/exaggerated facial features. Just the type of thing that is NOT acceptable for the 65 year old Americans in that jury: in America, specially among older people, animation is "puritanical": it's not supposed to be sexualized and also not supposed to have art with well defined lines (American animation traditionally tries to hide the lines in their effort to appear less like a drawing and more "realistic").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
"And the Oscar goes to........(insert Pixar title here)."

Assuming we're talking about SHORTS, not features, in which case "Piper" has a lock on cuteness. Anime smile

As for features, anime usually gets one of the two Generous Industry Symbolic nominations for art-indie animation, which means there's a tough fight for the last slot away from Laika's annual free-ride for "Kubo".
(Which was, ironically, as "90's Samurai Jack fanster" gaijin as you could get...)
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
35 titles is like, a lot to watch, these people have lives!

They also have jobs, which is specifically to watch movies.

I understand that most wouldn't go online to watch these as the average age of the academy is 55+, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Jose: Actually, they're a lot more generous in the shorts category than in the full-length animated film category.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
"And the Oscar goes to........(insert Pixar title here)."
Quite honestly, Piper deserves the win IMO, with it being the highlight of this year's summer movie season (admit it: the baby sandpiper is just too cute not to give the short the Oscar ^_^ ).
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
The animated shorts Oscar never gives the prize to non-English stuff, not just Japanese: Russian, Chinese, Korean, Brazilian, etc, animation never is nominated. Only western stuff is ever considered. Foreign stuff is specially hard to come in terms of animated shorts since hundreds of shorts can be found from any region of the world.

1. animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-02-28/inside-out-bear-story-win-animated-oscars/.99202

Quote:
No anime were nominated for this year's Animated Short Film category. The nominees were "Bear Story," "Prologue," "Sanjay's Superteam," "We Can't Live Without Cosmos," and "World of Tomorrow." Gabriel Osorio Vargas and Pato Escala Pierart's Chilean short "Bear Story" won the category.

A Chilean short won last year.

2. We write about this because its worth noting either way whether anime are or aren't nominated. Because as we noted in the article, anime are sometimes nominated, and an anime did win in 2009. It's at least worth a brief mention on our site.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
No consideration probably because non where submitted. Don't blame them, these awards are merely for posturing anyway. Anime creators probably just don't want to deal with the hassle of some silly award ceremony.

Jose Cruz wrote:
...Shelter features very traditional "otaku manga style" of art of a sexualized female character with very distorted/exaggerated facial features...

Wait... what do you mean sexualized? Shelter was extremely safe and had absolutely no sexualization at all.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Wait... what do you mean sexualized? Shelter was extremely safe and had absolutely no sexualization at all.
I want to make a take on this and, in accordance to my own personal view, Shelter did featured the main character in a bathing scene, some camera views while she's on a bed may be considered suggestive and I don't think I need to mention about spoiler[Rin having no clothes on while being inside that spaceship.]Of course, for an anime standard, that is considered nothing at all but to a mainstream view? Maybe it make them nudge a head or so. That is what I think any way. I don't considered Shelter to be sexualized.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:

I double checked the rules at oscar.org and the rules are pretty much the same as most other qualifiers for other categories, a film needs to run in LA for at least one week at regular admission and without having any prior non-theatrical exhibition and needs to meet these technical requirements:

Quote:

All eligible motion pictures must be publicly exhibited
by means of 35mm or 70mm film, or in a 24 or 48 frame progressive scan Digital Cinema form at with a minimum projector resolution of 2048
by 1080 pixels, source image format conforming to ST 428 1:2006 D Cinema Distribution Master Image Characteristics; image compression (if used) conforming to ISO/IEC 15444 1 (JPEG 2000) and image and sound file formats suitable for exhibition in commercial Digital Cinema sites
complete PDF

Without knowing all the production specs the JAE shorts were made on, it's safe to say they don't meet rule number 1 for consideration. [/quote]
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

relyat08 wrote:

Shelter features very traditional "otaku manga style" of art of a sexualized female character with very distorted/exaggerated facial features. Just the type of thing that is NOT acceptable for the 65 year old Americans in that jury: in America, specially among older people, animation is "puritanical": it's not supposed to be sexualized and also not supposed to have art with well defined lines (American animation traditionally tries to hide the lines in their effort to appear less like a drawing and more "realistic").

Yeah, she's moe, but I don't remember there being much sexualization of her. Maybe I'm just numb to it. :/
I agree, it could likely never win because the style and story wouldn't appeal to the voting audience, but it still seems like something that has caused enough buzz to be notable in animated shorts circles. Being a solo-key animated project, with a Western original creator gives it some cred at least.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
This doesn't come as a surprise to me especially after considering how rigged the Oscars are to begin with. Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Always with the victimization. There's not some grand conspiracy to destroy anime. The rules state that your short has to have been in theaters in LA county, or at least won a festival award. Bottom line: get your stuff out there if you want it submitted..

Now if "Your Name" isn't in consideration, then we can talk.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
At movie festivals, awards for animation shorts are usually given to either commercialized shorts from the U.S. (like those from Pixar) or to non-commercialized, very personal and very artistic shorts from foreign countries. The later ones usually aren't grounded in any sort of pop- or underground-animation culture like it is often the case in Japan; they're more the outlet of artists who learned their craft at an art college or university in a traditional way and who are more inclided to classic art. Therefore, I don't see shorts like those from Studio Khara to have any chance at the Academy Awards, even if they'd be shown in the L.A. area in a cinema beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3