• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hand Shakers (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote

Hand Shakers (TV)

Plot Summary: In Osaka in the year "AD20XX," Hand Shakers are partners who can summon "Nimrodes," weapons born from their deep psyche by joining hands. In order to grant the pair's wish, the Hand Shakers compete with and fight other Hand Shaker pairs. The top pair will then meet and challenge "God."
----------------------------------

Official site: http://project-hs.net/

Original TV anime by GoHands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Weaponized masochism? Seemingly independently-sentient bosoms? It seems like a no-brainer!

Oddly, I found K's cast of bishonens way more suited to a show where "let's look cool" is openly regarded as priority number 1.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Not too sure about this one. The visuals both attracted and repelled me. I tend to gravitate to things that have a different look even if that different look isn't necessarily aesthetically soothing. I'll watch some more of this but it's certainly not in the, "Well, it's totally obvious I'll be watching this to completion" file.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
DAMN, THIS LOOKS PRETTY.

I'm in. Anime hyper

Will post again once watched.

(I'm so shallow lol)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
@ Chiibi
I kind of hope you wrote that sarcastically.

Okay, how can Hand Shakers be simultaneously the prettiest and most ugly show? How can it be the busiest and yet the most devoid of substance? How can this show be both… I don’t even know how to describe it.

I am not against cg in anime, I look at BBK/BRNK and say it is a great gateway to how CG can be used in the medium, and M3: The Dark Metal comes to mind of how cg items can interact with more regular drawn aspects. But Hand Shakers kind of completely fails at it, It is trying to convey the force of the chains impacting on the characters, but it just does not convey over right, it feels like you are looking at overlapping quite right. Reasons? I think it is the framerate, it is grossly inconsistent. There is a lot of detail put into characters and thought into how they move, but they just seem to be at a separate framerate to how background and some other CG objects move. And the panning kind of feels unnatural. There is one part scene shifts and it takes a moment for it to start panning, I think reminding me of some powerpoint where a delayed cue is put in between different aspects.

The characters are all designed kind of smoothly, but their animation is anything but, it kind of messes with a sense of momentum. In some ways this is actually reminding myself of opinions I had of a show that I initially thought had bad animation, Kill la Kill, and I actually think that it might be interesting to compare the two. What kind of changed with KlK was finding that all of its inconsistent aspects and apparent limited style was actually fully intentional, there is this interesting videos I saw recently that talked about the smart use of design as part of the joke, and another that showed how the opening scene in KlK uses its design choices in a very smart way to convey quite a lot and illicit emotions, all the while with its off models and often janky animation. Hand Shakers feels like it completely ignorant of such considerations in choices of cinematography, instead it is only using things because it supposedly looks cool. It is trying to go by rule of cool without quite knowing what that means.

There is the kind of thing where you say something is not a bug, but a feature, and I think that can be kind of important when you are trying to make something with some oomph. If you have some limitations, use them and make it feel okay. By itself it feels like the quality is just wrong, that someone looked at how these different parts connected and thought it looked acceptable, but it does not. And that does not even go into how I was utterly bored the whole episode, and that really should not have been the case with what they were trying to do. Okay, it is ambitious, there were a few times I thought things look nice, like pointing at one thing there was this heart monitor that looked really smooth, but these parts kind of worked to only highlight the problems elsewhere, and I might even see myself kind of interested in story if I was younger and found the story as a transition to more mature. But despite that I think the parts where it tries to be mature just makes it feel more immature. On some level I am kind of interested to see more, but it might be morbid curiosity, like watching Big Order.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
First I just rolled my eyes when the moaning girl appeared, but then it started to really annoy me. I'm not sure I wanna watch more of this, yet. We'll see.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
@ Chiibi
I kind of hope you wrote that sarcastically.

Nope. Anime hyper I either will mark my sarcasm (or disgust) with the eye-rolling emoticon....or I'll type one word in italics.

Well, my watching was delayed one day because we got a storm here and my internet went DOINK. Rolling Eyes
(so I ended up watching more Gash Bell saved on my HD which is a fine show so that's all right but)

Quote:
Okay, how can Hand Shakers be simultaneously the prettiest and most ugly show? How can it be the busiest and yet the most devoid of substance? How can this show be both… I don’t even know how to describe it.

You've said it quite well for struggling on how to say it. Anime hyper It's so hard to describe.

This show is weird.

1. I really wish this was drawn like a normal anime. As least the characters. They are pretty to look at in still pictures.(visiting the anime site got me excited) The CGI chains not blending in isn't what bothers me. It's............omg I don't know what it is. Too much CGI EVERYWHERE, I think. It's really visually distracting.

Quote:
The characters are all designed kind of smoothly, but their animation is anything but, it kind of messes with a sense of momentum. In some ways this is actually reminding myself of opinions I had of a show that I initially thought had bad animation, Kill la Kill, and I actually think that it might be interesting to compare the two. What kind of changed with KlK was finding that all of its inconsistent aspects and apparent limited style was actually fully intentional, there is this interesting videos I saw recently that talked about the smart use of design as part of the joke, and another that showed how the opening scene in KlK uses its design choices in a very smart way to convey quite a lot and illicit emotions, all the while with its off models and often janky animation. Hand Shakers feels like it completely ignorant of such considerations in choices of cinematography, instead it is only using things because it supposedly looks cool. It is trying to go by rule of cool without quite knowing what that means.

You really hit the nail on the head there. This perfectly describes it (also, I think Trigger are ALL geniuses when it comes to animaton; they know exactly what to do.)

2. What is this obsession with making boobs move so unnaturally? I can't elaborate how much this annoys me. lol

3. The MC is bland and I hope he shows more personality soon. But I do like Koyori. Even though she's silent, she's intriguing and she has pretty eyes. lol

4. The one interesting thing the show does have: they cannot let go of each other's hands. Okay, I'd like to see where this goes. I bet a lot of us have seen and episode of any other thing where the characters get stuck in this kind of predicament and shenanigans ensue. But it was always just ONE episode. To make a WHOLE series about this concept....well, that's new. It'll at least be the hook for keeping me a little bit.

It's going to make life pretty difficult for them. I know Miss Boobs (yeah, I'm gonna call her that) at school won't like it. Laughing

Cam0 wrote:
First I just rolled my eyes when the moaning girl appeared, but then it started to really annoy me.

Holy crap did I want the bitch to shut the hell up.
Twisted Evil
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
well, at least this isn't blinding me like K does. That's not hyperbole. Watching K really does hurt my eyes. I don't really like tearing up for good reason when watching something, especially when its not sad. So appreciate Go Hands doing something different with the color filter, but they didn't need to compensate with everything else. They haven't lost me yet, so I will try and stick around for a least one more ep
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It might be good later when more story shows up. The first episode is kind of a tech demo. It blends about 5 different styles together and as Zac and Jake mentioned, its like floating around the room in After Effects.

There is no story beside a few flashbacks and some obvious pairing as weapons going on.

"Don't let go of her hand" She'll die, oh goodie.

The more you hate on the crazy ancient / cheap CG, the more they are going to use it. Very Happy I dig the style there is an insane amount of detail going on all at once. Some of those perspective shots are hard to pull off.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I get that they can't let go off each other's hand after hearing the explanation in episode 2, but at least switching hands seems to be ok? Usually Tazuki is seen on the right and Koyori on the left, but few cases are reversed (obvious shot 12.14 ep.2). Otherwise changing clothes would require new physics...

Let's see where this trainwreck goes...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god that "we can't let go of our hands" premise is so incredibly annoying. As is Koyori's non-verbalization. Surely these concepts are going to get ditched at some point. I can't believe I'm going to watch more of this, but clearly my latent masochism is coming out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Okay, for whatever reason I did not have an as violent reaction to the second episode, don't know if I am getting used to it. Perhaps it felt less jaggy, like some animation having more frames, or less a type of movement that showed the problem.

It did feel like it had trouble settings its own rules. Like saying that they have to hold hands, to the point he has to follow her into the toilet, then when bath time comes he decides that he can spend a flash to drop hand contact to remove a piece of clothing, and then for entire scene when he washes her they are not holding hands. If he was allowed a certain leeway then they should have said that, rather it feels like they built up fake drama as I am distracted by what might have been a minute that the rule is being broken. Like I could imagine they could swap hands by holding them and then letting the other go. This even could have been used to change clothes, and could have set up an interesting thing they learn to each use their hand to help the both of them, but I don't know what to think with some of these scenes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote

Yes, Dusk. I noticed it.
The character movement this episode seems to have improved a bit. At least, it felt easier to follow visually for me. Koyori petting Tazuna on the head was adorable. Anime hyper Tazuna is also starting to show some personality; I'm at least amused at his =____= reactions to the doctor and his parents ' behaviors. OMG HIS PARENTS ARE SO DORKY. Anime hyper The undressing scene was also funny. HIS INNER MONOLOGUE WAS VERY FUNNY. "JUST ARREST ME!!" lmao
It's refreshing to see parents acting so loving around each other....I'm so used to one or both of them being dead, or villains, or neglectful or not even being in the house at all.....it's nice, here. NICE NORMAL FAMILY!?
New character Chizuru is cute.

Yeah, that was WAY better than the first episode. What a nice relaxing pace we changed to. And very pretty ED!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
New character Chizuru is cute.

I kind of concur, there was something about her that looked very "little kid in suit" that came across as cute, but with her role it made me interested what her character is going to be like, such as from the preview.

His dorky parents remind me of from the recent Matoi the Sacred Slayer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Actually, that was pretty decent. In fact, it made me glad that I didn't drop the show as I was sort of considering doing. It looks like the requirement to hold hands at all times is eventually going to dissipate as Koyori gets stronger ... thank God. Now if she ever is able to talk, that would be really cool.

I like Little Boss and Apology Guy. It's a shame they feel the need to fight Koyori and Tazuna. Based on the preview it sounds like the battle will end with everybody being friends.

Oh, by the way, "Cocktail Corn" is the worst restaurant name EVER and putting corn in parfait is not just wrong, it's super-wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2