• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc Manga Gets TV Anime Series in January 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Don't worry, it's Madhouse, meaning it'll atleast look very good. Crystal was Toei, whose animation quality is pretty questionable for anything other than Precure Laughing

Toei has its moments, particular whenever Naotoshi Shida or Naoki Tate deliver a cut. Mostly, its shows suffer because business interests push it to either take on too many projects at once, or rush into production, as was the case with Dragon Ball Super.

Madhouse is hardly flawless itself (you can notice plenty of animation shortcuts in the first arc of its Hunter x Hunter series), but it does have a good track record of fostering talent. That seems to be what it's doing with the new Cardcaptor Sakura series. Scheduling plenty of time for pre-production and signing up a passionate staff bodes well for the show's quality.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the sequel manga yet, so I don't know what its like, and I have read the whole manga and watched the whole anime series. I am looking forward to this, though! I do wonder if the cast and crew will be able to handle this, though? It's been over a decade, and I doubt that their voices and talent will have stayed the same over the years. I'm sure the actors won't sound the same as they used to...I think. Definitely putting on my to-watch list, though!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting how many of the male otaku will latch onto this as it's one of the few shoujo titles males also got into (the inverse tends to happen way more often). Hell, a lot of stuff found in CCS has been furthered refined in the future moe bishoujo titles especially the magical girl genre aimed for guys (first eps. of Nanoha being quite blatant for example).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe when they dub this, they can give us a decent redub of the series with the same cast beforehand.
kasumicc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
unitmikey wrote:
Can't say that we didn't see this coming, but lets hope there is a little more effort put into this than the first season(s) of Crystal. The fact that it's a sequel series means that at least it won't be a complete retread.

Don't worry, it's Madhouse, meaning it'll atleast look very good. Crystal was Toei, whose animation quality is pretty questionable for anything other than Precure Laughing

on a more related note mY CHILDHOOD IS RETURNING ;w;

Pretty much this. But I don't really think Crystal's problem is the animation; sure, it's the most noticeable one but we should be able to overlook it if the story was actually good. The problem with Crystal is that it's a bland adaptation of a material that wasn't great to begin. The third season turned out better not because of the animation improvements (while pretty, it was still cheap under modern standards), but because they did a better job on adapting what's arguably the best manga arc. It was hard to go wrong with that.

Anyways, animation-wise, Madhouse at their worst is still infinitely better than Toei at their worst. And as far as adaptations go Madhouse is pretty good in my book. So it all comes down to the original material being actually good (I haven't read it), because I really can't imagine Madhouse ruining it. Looking forward to seeing the result!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Still need to finish this series someday. I've been stuck at episode 20 for... about 2 years now, I think.

Same goes for CLAMP themselves, let's hope they conclude this one too as CCS was one of rare instances with a 'conclusion'. Their track record in this regard is nothing short of abysmal...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Misty's gonna love this shit! Smile
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Maybe when they dub this, they can give us a decent redub of the series with the same cast beforehand.

That's the dream, but not sure if it'll get the same treatment like Sailor Moon, be that someone is able to license and dub the whole thing. Its gotta be profitable and popular enough.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
So one more year to wait tell the manga get far eoungh along so hoping that it will be at less 2 cours or more long
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone mind explaining to me what this news means for Madhouse? 'Cause I heard that the studio wasn't doing too well in past few years. Although to be honest, I really enjoyed their recent anime adaptation of No Game No Life and I'm looking forward to the upcoming film version.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
GET THAT HYPE GOING! I hope this gets licensed.

I don't think that'll be a problem, considering the original series was loved enough to warrant a Blu Ray boxset with every episode for $200 in the US, I'm sure this will mean the new series will get picked up, maybe even dubbed if whoever picks it up feels it'll be worth it.

The question is, will we finally get that Blu Ray of Movie 2 at last? Anime hyper
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I've met Morio Asaka. Very humble man and very talented artist. I'm looking forward to him returning to CCS, and even better, seeing Madhouse animate the sequel. I own a lot of the production artwork from CCS. If that kind of detail is what's going to be featured in the new material, especially the background artwork, then I will look forward to it. Hopefully some of the artwork will slip out of the studio again.

Though, the one downside to Asaka working on CCS is that that means there will likely be no more Chihayafuru anime, or if there is, he'll have limited, if any, involvement.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
The return of CCS! Damn...in 2018. Bonus is that the cast is returning and MADHOUSE. Can't wait.

Exactly. Color me excited as all hell. Very Happy
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

Doubtful. Madman owns the license to the old anime, and since they just released the whole series 3 or 4 years ago on Blu-Ray *without* a new dub(To my knowledge, the rights to the original dub have reverted back to the production company), it seems unlikely we will get a Sailor Moon-esque redub of CCS, especially since it is nowhere near as popular as Sailor Moon is.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
^Madman's releases are DVD-only while NIS America (series) & Discotek (first movie) here have Blu-ray releases.

As for a dub of this new series, it's likely going to FUNi which will be interesting to see if they bring back the Tsubasa VAs or do a complete recasting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4