• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it is important to distinguish between anime that is memorable because it is of high quality and anime that is remembered by the masses years later regardless of quality. Shows like Utena, Penguindrum, Death Parade will be remembered by the artsy crowd, but they will never have mass appeal. On the other hand, Sword Art Online and Dragon Ball Z (which I argue are not well written) appeal to many more fans.

Cowboy Bebop is the rare case of a well made show that is popular with the artsy crowd and the masses.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Based on facts (statistics of animated minutes) amount of anime made is actually in decline and we are far from the peak of 2006.

Any article on "anime glut" is based just on somebody's vivid imagination, not on reality.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the "memorability" of anime has something to do with the way we consume it now as well. When I first started watching anime, it was "what was on Toonami", shows that were often 5-10 years old already and generally already established in Japan as profitable shows. Then when I moved to fansubs and DVDs, it was still difficult to hear about new shows. The really big hits like Haruhi might have been talked about on 4chan, but often you'd only hear about shows after they were done airing, either by recommendation or reading a review of the DVD when it came out. Once again, these were shows already sort of vetted as worth watching by a number of people.

But now as we watch anime as it airs, there's one or two shows that are obviously great from episode 1, but many others either don't get good until halfway (and so we tend to miss them) or start good and go downhill (and are then forgettable). Personally, since I've been watching Simulcasts I've found myself watching a lot of mediocre titles and not having time to go back to watch stuff that I heard was good after it aired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Based on facts (statistics of animated minutes) amount of anime made is actually in decline and we are far from the peak of 2006.

Any article on "anime glut" is based just on somebody's vivid imagination, not on reality.

I'd like to see those statistics, please.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
About the classics... I think we'll have a different perception of classics born betwween 2010 and 2020, because the market and the medium itself are different. Back then we had like, a circle of friends, the TV reruns and promotions, and a whole different "push" for anime. Now we have Youtubers, reviewers, podcasts, Twitter, Sakugabooru, and so on on on and on.

The way that anime is promoted to the mass watchers is harder now, and it's fairly complicated. For instance, the hype culture has never been enough to amount for long term popularity, except some cases. It's really hard for an anime or any piece of media to reach relevance on so many platforms, I too thought that Blood Blockade Battlefront would be the most watched thing ever given how well it sold , how much it was talked about here, how a lot of people react to it. But at the same time, I didn't see thousands of videos talking about it, podcasts, and all other possible stuff that could promote this anime even forward.

But look at Madoka, OPM, Kill la Kill, they became ingrained into the anime common culture because there was an explosion of them, for any reason, that was spread by as many people that basically everybody knows what these anime are about, or at least they know the memes of it (basically the JoJo phenomena). It gets to the point that anybody can say something about it without having watched it, the knowledge dug deep into the mass because people promoted it, perhaps that's what didn't happen with a lot of other anime because...I don't even know why, it just happened.
MrFox123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
This is something I've been wondering a while.

Summer 2016 season just ended and there's no one talking about series like Re Zero, Mob 100 or some of the gems in just the earlier seasons of this year.

It does feel like there's so much that people either become distracted or too much that people decide not to participate in current seasons at all.

I do wonder how this would affect sales for other things like Merchandise.

I'm not a fan of physical DVD/BluRAY, hell I dont own anything that could even play those ancient Frisbees. I much rather buy things like official figures from Anime I loved.

The issue I keep seeing with this is that usually figures, if announced, dont got until 6month or up to a year after the series has finished airing . . . Shocked

Idk how many people are willing to patiently wait. Removes the impulse buy from it right there. Do you want this Re Zero figure for $100-200?? Oh it comes out next year? Reminds me later then . . . Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MrFox123 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Personally, since I've been watching Simulcasts I've found myself watching a lot of mediocre titles and not having time to go back to watch stuff that I heard was good after it aired.

Yea I have the same problem(?) I keep hearing how madoka is good but haven't gotten around to watching it yet and I didn't even watch Love Live until 3 years after it aired.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

Only Japanese version available at the moment. I'm completely astonished that ANN does not apparently study these industry reports at all.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
An interesting answer...
MrFox123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I definitely don't think that One Punch Man, Osomatsu-san or Death Parade.

Never heard of that middle one and Death Parade seems too far out there.
One punch man without a doubt will be huge for years to come. It's gotten so many people into anime that never seen any before (similar to AoT). 2nd season is coming next year too
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

I don't think about my anime consumption in terms of "number of minutes watched" and neither does anyone else I know. I think about it in terms of how many shows I'm watching at any given moment, and the idea that there are quite simply more shows produced and available to watch right now than there have ever been before is definitely not based on my vivid imagination.

MrFox123 wrote:
Never heard of that middle one

You would if you lived in Japan. Osomatsu-san is everywhere there, and it was the first anime in 15 years to have two consecutive volumes reach #1 on the DVD sales charts. Definitely a mega-hit among female Japanese anime fans.
Beltane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Never saw any bootlegged Utena stuff, including the Cantonese dub VHS tapes and prismatic trading cards that were regularly sold in card machines there.

Actually, there were bootlegged Utena stuff in Canada. In the late 90s and early 2000s, I saw English fansub VHS tapes and Utena playing cards at a Chinese mall. I also found bootlegged Utena soundtracks in the same mall, so they did exist at one point over here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:

http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

Only Japanese version available at the moment. I'm completely astonished that ANN does not apparently study these industry reports at all.

I do not speak or read Japanese so unfortunately the raw link doesn't help me. Can you cite specific figures from it that proves your contention that, based on the number of animated minutes made, the industry is in decline from 2006. Because I find that very hard to believe.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Beltane wrote:
Actually, there were bootlegged Utena stuff in Canada. In the late 90s and early 2000s, I saw English fansub VHS tapes and Utena playing cards at a Chinese mall. I also found bootlegged Utena soundtracks in the same mall, so they did exist at one point over here.

Yeah, I found plenty of this stuff in US malls in the early '00s, too.
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime since the 90s and the way I see it, there's a lot of nostalgia with the old stuff. Artstyle was generally awful but there were some good shows knocking about. You will always click with a select few anime. But I think the modern age has too many elitist consumers who trash-talk and badmouth modern anime with unnecessary zeal. As though their snotty opinion is law.

With the massive population increase over time and media-crazy modern world, every form of entertainment has to compete with the other for the attention of the fickle masses. Everything from gadgets, social media, tv shows, films, web streaming, games, animation, manga etc. Now everyone is a critic and expert in everything \sarcasm

I just don't see why it's so important to label things as so-called "classics". It all comes down to taste in the end. How is it reassuring to know that a million other people share an opinion that a show is "good" or "great"? Being part of the mainstream hive-mind doesn't necessarily make an opinion or a show superior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10