• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree that there are some shows nobody is watch or so few that it doesn't even matter, you have 3-6 shows per season that have no raws released anywhere, much less a fansub or an official sub. This has happened for well over a decade and I keeping wondering who watches those anime? If a modern anime can't even get a raw put out online in this day and age then I question if it was worth making.

Last edited by Hoppy800 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
If anything, there's too many shorts. Almost everyone of them are inconsequential, with only one or two being remembered for either pulling off a premise that a 12 ep anime couldn't do or is infamous for its randumb humor that no loss is gained pumping out more (Points for those who recognize these.). But yeah, the overall glut is starting to tear the production side at the seams. If you have to do a recap at only 3 episodes in, then something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

While what is going to be regarded as a "classic" would be what the mainstream remembers past a decade, keep in mind that within the niche circles, a lot of anime still retain staying power. This would be stuff like Code Geass for the mech fans, Clannad for drama lovers, Yuru yuri for SoL/yuri seekers, Lovelive/IM@S/Aikatsu for Idol otas etc. If you gather up a bunch of anime fans from all over and ask them what their favorite anime is, you'll bound to hear these titles beyond the Bebops, the One Punches and the Titans. That to me counts as still being remembered.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
If you gather up a bunch of anime fans from all over and ask them what their favorite anime is, you'll bound to hear these titles beyond the Bebops, the One Punches and the Titans.

If nothing else, the Top 10 / Worst 5 thread on the ANN boards serves to highlight the wide variety of preferences and tastes within our community. Laughing
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Some good responses in this thread, just shows how deceptively complicated the question and its answer is.

When I think "80's anime" or "90's anime" only like 5 titles from each decade come to mind immediately. I've seen a few hundred anime in those decades but my mind condenses them down to just a few. If today, half way through the "teens", about 10 "00's" series come to mind, that bodes well for there being 5 by 2020. Things like the Monogatari franchise and K-on and ttgl and personal favorites like Last Exile. It will be up to me to keep recommending them to newbies that come into an anime discussion and ask "what should I watch next?". That's how classics in a cult hobby are born, they don't have the luxury of advertising and merchandise juggernauts like Star Wars, a lot of it falls on the fans themselves.

Last edited by AholePony on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
If they are drawing in an audience I guess its ok. It is very overwhelming with how many there are though, I barely get round to watching maybe 2 or 3 series a year including non-anime shows or dvds.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I agree that there are some shows nobody is watch or so few that it doesn't even matter, you have 3-6 shows per season that have no raws released anywhere, much less a fansub or an official sub. This has happened for well over a decade and I keeping wondering who watches those anime? If a modern anime can't even get a raw put out online in this day and age then I question if it was worth making.

In this age of streaming, raws aren't as big thing anymore, nor are fansubs. (And "no non Japanese viewers" is decidedly not the same thing as "no viewers".)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been saying this for 5 years: Japan is making way too much anime. And when you see the sales, you have to wonder why the keep doing it. At least half the shows each season are sales duds. Some even below 200 units. And yet the keep getting made.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the issue is that a lot of anime being created in this generation is very otaku-centric, which I think by its nature is less aimed at being "classic" and more aimed at catering to the tastes of the fandom. Back in the 80's and 90's anime seemed a bit ways more freewheeling, experimental, and open to auteur direction. The sensibilities of the age also came across as more theatrical, at least compared to the more production-line feel of modern shows. While I think shows like AoT and to a lesser extent KlK will have some enduring qualities for similar reasons, I tend to think the glut of most shows made today are more in the "easy digest" sort of here-and-gone category.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'll always remember Mike Toole's response to the idea that pre-moe shows are fundamentally different from moe shows:

I remember seeing that image years ago, and I had felt at the time that Mike was being misleading, possibly banking on people not being familiar with the shows he was picking. My biggest beef was that he seemed to be conflating a number of shojo shows with "moe". It's one thing to have a show with cute girls that's designed with Japanese girl culture sensibilities in mind, and something entirely else to have a show with cute girls that's designed for adult men. And adding Nadia to the mix really made me scratch my head at the time too.
taishou*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

In this age of streaming, raws aren't as big thing anymore, nor are fansubs. (And "no non Japanese viewers" is decidedly not the same thing as "no viewers".)

Indeed. Many of the consistently top-ranking, long-running anime in terms of viewership (stuff like Sazae-san) are not subbed at all.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I've been saying this for 5 years: Japan is making way too much anime. And when you see the sales, you have to wonder why the keep doing it. At least half the shows each season are sales duds. Some even below 200 units. And yet the keep getting made.

0.o They keep making anime because they hope they will generate income. They aren't always right, but nobody can tell in advance.

Last edited by DerekL1963 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Five years ago is a really bad time to start saying that, considering that was the absolute trough. People listening to your advice would have been selling at the bottom of the industry. At least claim to have been saying it for ten years.

The hits pay for the losers, and even a lot of the losers make money outside direct video sales. It's not dramatically different from any kind of artistic endeavor (or for that matter, any R&D, including pharmaceuticals.) If people knew which ones would be losers ahead of time they would avoid them, but it's not that simple. There are always unexpected hits and failures, and many that just break even. If there are too many failures people go out of business, but that is to be expected in a competitive field.

Now, I wish that there were a few more wide audience aimed shows (though I don't agree with the argument that the current niche shows are less experimental), but the last five years have gone fairly well for the industry.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
While streaming services made easier to watch anime for everyone and it's one of the best things that has happened, it still can't replace the "seed" that TV anime planted on almost everyone that got them potentially interested in anime.

I'm not so sure about that. My experience was seeing one show (Evangelion) and it making enough of an impression that I went out of my way to check out all this other anime I heard about while reading about Eva on the internet. I did see Eva on TV, but quite a lot of the other stuff I watched in the early days of my anime fandom was via less legit means, and this was before internet speeds were good enough to make that a primary source of videos. I'd argue that the medium the "seed" comes via isn't that important; these days you're more likely to see a video on YouTube that a friend posted on Facebook and have it draw your attention than to happen to be watching TV when that thing comes up.

Merxamers wrote:
(Also not sure how an editorial is supposed to be "objective")

Most people don't seem to understand objectivity, and in particular what things are inherently subjective and therefore can't possible have an objective answer. The best you can generally do is state your biases and give at least a minimal consideration of other points of view.

otagirl wrote:
But I think the modern age has too many elitist consumers who trash-talk and badmouth modern anime with unnecessary zeal. As though their snotty opinion is law.

That's down to the human tendency to believe that there is such a thing as the One True Way, and no-one ever thinks that their own point of view could possibly be incorrect. I'd argue that the only reason it seems worse in modern times is that the internet has given everyone a megaphone with which to assert that they're the ones who have it right, and everyone else is mistaken.

DmonHiro wrote:

Because everyone thinks that if the show they're making is the one that makes it big, they'll be alright, and what everyone else is doing doesn't matter beyond them just being the competition.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of shorter series these days, lasting only one cours, sometimes two. This will obviously cause there to be more series to be made overall. In the digital age where we've got DVRs and online streaming, I think we can agree that there isn't as much need to buy a physical release. This is why a Japanese release will often include bonuses or advanced ticket lottery slips and other incentives to entice viewers to buy. If people don't buy the physical release then it becomes more difficult to recoup the costs of producing the show. (Exempt are kiddy series and others whose main purpose is to sell toys and other merchandise, eg. Gundam.)

So basically, I think people buying less physical releases leads to shorter series (which cost less to produce) which in turn leads to more series produced overall. Afterall, it's risky for producers to take the plunge and put in tons of money into a series that may or may not sell. They're trying not to put their eggs all in the same basket, so to speak. Instead of using X amount to create one big project, use that amount to make several small projects and hope one of them is a seller.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The thread seems to have gone several different paths, discussing which shows will be remembered , which ones were and if there's too many shows being made to connect the two.
Ask yourself: How many incomplete series do you remember? Or how many classics are partial adaptations?

Take Soul Eater... please. By all rights, this should be a well remembered series, one of the new classics but it just kind of hangs there at the end. Good animation by BONES, great character design and stories... for awhile... but not only is it not a complete adaptation, they don't even get to the good stuff of the manga.

One that is a recent classic and will be talked about for years is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Beyond that title, I'm not confident enough to say any recent adapted series will be remembered. One Punch Man? Attack on Titan? BBB? Only further seasons will tell. Not because it has the problem of finding its audience but because the audience now needs to find the show. Are they patient enough, will they wait that long... will enough people who went on to read the source manga will come back?

Are too many shows being made? Too many shows are started than dropped without conclusion... the medium itself is becoming disposable because most of its product is becoming such.

There still are anime originals that will be remembered for years... I myself break out the Girls Und Panzer at least once a year... but they take time and effort and producers willing to take a chance. And won't these be the first to go?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The thread seems to have gone several different paths, discussing which shows will be remembered , which ones were and if there's too many shows being made to connect the two.
Ask yourself: How many incomplete series do you remember? Or how many classics are partial adaptations?

Take Soul Eater... please. By all rights, this should be a well remembered series, one of the new classics but it just kind of hangs there at the end. Good animation by BONES, great character design and stories... for awhile... but not only is it not a complete adaptation, they don't even get to the good stuff of the manga.

One that is a recent classic and will be talked about for years is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Beyond that title, I'm not confident enough to say any recent adapted series will be remembered. One Punch Man? Attack on Titan? BBB? Only further seasons will tell. Not because it has the problem of finding its audience but because the audience now needs to find the show. Are they patient enough, will they wait that long... will enough people who went on to read the source manga will come back?

Are too many shows being made? Too many shows are started than dropped without conclusion... the medium itself is becoming disposable because most of its product is becoming such.

There still are anime originals that will be remembered for years... I myself break out the Girls Und Panzer at least once a year... but they take time and effort and producers willing to take a chance. And won't these be the first to go?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will be remembered. The manga started in the 80's, and it's currently on part 9 as of now. The anime is finishing up with Diamond Is Unbreakable. If anything, JoJo will be a part of the "classics" era in 2010s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10